Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone have experience with eBay resin sellers?

Is he the one that took the excellent 77 El Camino from MCRC and added some trim to the side and called it his own original? Might have been someone else, not sure.

I have seen the stuff on the Bay, haven't bit yet because when it comes to someone new, I like to hold it in my hands first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, cobraman said:

Did you get that  S 10 cab yet ?

I did.

Actually, his shipping was pretty quick.  Other than this one transaction, I've not had any interactions with him.  Here are some pictures; please overlook my super-great phone camera:

resins10-1_orig.jpg

Some clean up will certainly be needed, but I don't think it's horrible. 

resins10-8_orig.jpg

I washed it, and I'm hoping the streaking doesn't bleed through primer.  I suspect it'll be okay.

resins10-9_orig.jpg

The original Revell kit has slots on the back for the bed to 'notch' into, if I recall correctly. 

resins10-3_orig.jpg

He molded the bed together as one piece, but I'm not sure why.  I'm planning to use the Revell kit parts for mine when I build it.  But, I'll hang on to this for possibly future use.

resins10-6_orig.jpg

Bonus parts, of sorts.  I was wondering about that solid 'window' -- do they do this with dragsters or something?

Anywho.... now you know.  I'm hoping I can do something decent with this.

14 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Some clean up will certainly be needed, but I don't think it's horrible. 

I washed it, and I'm hoping the streaking doesn't bleed through primer.  I suspect it'll be okay.

The original Revell kit has slots on the back for the bed to 'notch' into, if I recall correctly. 

It's not great. It looks like the resin wasn't thoroughly mixed, hence the swirly look. That could be a big problem. The rear 1/4 window shape is off, and there should be no raised lip around the opening, either. I would check the top of the roof against reference images, too, as the extended cab roof has a slightly different contour than the standard cab.

Those 'slots' in the rear cab wall also allow the builder to slightly spread the lower body sides to all the interior to slip up into the body...you could be in some trouble when it comes time to fit the-- wait, it doesn't include the extended interior? :blink:

Are the inner wheel wells removed, too, i.e., the engine compartment is totally empty?

You can see where the top-of-the-door-to-cab gap is now much shallower due to the sanding to try and make the roof flatter, too. Those door lines should've been re-scribed but weren't. Also odd is there's a bumper molded with the cab, as the grille and front splash pan must be added to the cab before the bumper.

Ugh! That thing looks like a pile to me, but no surprise after everything I've seen and heard of this seller.

Those quarter windows are all kinds of wrong.  For reference here's how they should be shaped, as Casey said no moldings around the 1:1 either:

1991_chevrolet_s-10_std_extended_cab_4wd_sb-pic-630474585775300217-1600x1200.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I'm bummed.

Maybe I'll just revert back to trying to salvage my old cobbled together hatchet job of merging two Revell/Monogram S-10 kits together.  

I would do that and return the resin thing. Nobody should pay good money for what you received.

• 6 months later...

So it appears there has been an update to the S10 extended cab package.   Has anyone purchased any of Mr. redlinerestorations2015-8 's new stuff?  I hesitate to drop this kind of cash and will probably return to either 1) just hacking two cabs together or 2) working with what I originally purchased (all previous comments noted...) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/s10extended-cab-resin-kit-please-read-1-25scale/273676801738?hash=item3fb86896ca:g:SLAAAOSwlINbr~zF

On second thought, maybe I should leave well enough alone and just revisit my original attempt and forego the resin alternative ....

Somewhere around 5 or more years ago, I bought a resin repop of a Johan '61 Dodge Phoenix. Without doubt, one of the nicest resin repops I've ever seen. Sorry, but I don't know the guy's handle.

I've also bought the odd Flintstone kit from several resellers, and no matter who you but the stuff from, quality is somewhat uneven. Poor symmetry sometimes, masters under-scale in some dimensions, sometimes very thick. But good enough when they're the only game in town for a particular subject.

Whoever made my Metranga Merc (bought from eBay too) did quite a nice job all the way around.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Somewhere around 5 or more years ago, I bought a resin repop of a Johan '61 Dodge Phoenix. Without doubt, one of the nicest resin repops I've ever seen. Sorry, but I don't know the guy's handle.

I've also bought the odd Flintstone kit from several resellers, and no matter who you but the stuff from, quality is somewhat uneven. Poor symmetry sometimes, masters under-scale in some dimensions, sometimes very thick. But good enough when they're the only game in town for a particular subject.

Whoever made my Metranga Merc (bought from eBay too) did quite a nice job all the way around.

If its the really nice metranga merc, I believe it was mastered by Rik Hoving but I could be wrong

17 hours ago, Jonathan said:

On second thought, maybe I should leave well enough alone and just revisit my original attempt and forego the resin alternative ....

As a general rule, if a seller can't make time to take well lit pictures, and provide a clear description, including proper grammar and punctuation, I'll pass. If they don't care enough to accurately inform people what they are selling, how much more care will they have put into the product itself?

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:51 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Maybe the same '61 Dodge Phoenix re-pop I bought back in 2006, according to my inventory sheets. Back then, Model King was selling resin kits thru Model Roundup.  The '61 Phoenix was Model King kit number RK-112 and sold for $34.90.  It included the body, interior, chassis, non-chromed bumpers and I think vac-formed glass.  It's buried in a box and I can't dig it out right now.

A vendor named "Vic's Resins" is selling a '61 Dodge Phoenix on eBay right now, and many other resin bodies:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vics-Resins-61-Dodge-resin-body-/362543618926

Edited by Mike999
omit