Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wow,my work area is a mess.

I hate this,I let the mess build up way too much,all the while saying,put that back here or there.Throw this or that away..But,Nope.So now I have to clean up a huge mess :(...Ah once again,my photos can't be loaded.Whatever.

Edited by NYLIBUD

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

I hate this,I let the mess build up way too much,all the while saying,put that back here or there.Throw this or that away..But,Nope.So now I have to clean up a huge mess :(...Ah once again,my photos can't be loaded.Whatever.

Have you tried rotating the photos so they are "landscape" instead of "portrait"

There's a time-tested method for staying ahead of the mess that is far more effective than periodically cleaning your work space. Once every six months, nail a fresh sheet of plywood down atop your work bench and everything on it. Problem solved!

14 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ah once again,my photos can't be loaded.Whatever.

I have noticed with my i-phone that it has to be held close to vertical. If I try to take a picture looking straight down at something, it will not load onto this site. If it is tilted more than about 45 degrees it may not work. Also, as noted above, holding the phone (if that is what you are using) sideways will keep the picture rotated correctly when you upload them.

A constant problem with my work bench.  Convenient excuse:  "I'm in the middle of this build, and I might lost small parts if I clean everything up."  Of course, if I was really organized, I wouldn't have to worry about losing anything.  I ignore that.

Instead of nailing down more plywood...next time you're in Loews or Home Despot, check out the area where they cut the sheets of clear Plexiglas and such.  They often have big off-cuts just sitting in the trash can.  I've found several pieces that cover the "working area" of my bench and one that covered nearly the whole bench where I paint.  These are useful because they make a hard cutting surface and you can scrape dried glue/paint off of them (or wipe wet stuff right off).

They may give these off-cuts to you free, or charge you a couple of dollars.  I've had both happen.  Just ask an employee.

I go through cycles.  When I'm on a roll, I clean the workspace after finishing a build.  Once in a long while, I add shelving, or go through parts stash boxes and sort out.  I was working on two models at the same time recently, so now the bench is twice as cluttered.  Then life caught up with me, and nothing is happening.

mine was clean 25 years ago when I first moved in,, Clean ?  I couldn't find anything if I cleaned up,    Retired, so i'm always in there building and making a mess,  Like to buy a old wal mart store, so I have more room for more junk,   My wife calls my room a nasty mess,,

how dare her, LOL   I tell her to just keep the door close, it will be OK

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I go through cycles.  When I'm on a roll, I clean the workspace after finishing a build.  Once in a long while, I add shelving, or go through parts stash boxes and sort out.  I was working on two models at the same time recently, so now the bench is twice as cluttered.  Then life caught up with me, and nothing is happening.

That's some large area.Looks like a store.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

I keep mine clean as I build. I always put everything back in the same spot. I can't stand a dirty work area. 

I know,that's the way I used to be,but my girl friend is a sort of slob,for lack of a better word.She (leaves her clothes all over).A typical female,no offense.And after years of living together,I guess I picked up on some of her bad habits.And now my work area looks like a tornado hit it.Not that Im not blaming her.After all,Its my responsibility to keep a clean work environment.:unsure:

28 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

I keep my work area(s) pretty clean.  I can't do anything in a messy area.

I'm with Jim. It can get pretty cluttered as I build, but I gotta clean it when I'm done for the day. After a while I get to where I have to search for a part I had five minutes ago and is right in front of me somewhere. That drives me nuts.