Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wow,my work area is a mess.

50 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

I keep my work area(s) pretty clean.  I can't do anything in a messy area.

Same here Jim, I put everything back in the same spot like, glue, sprue cutter, tweezers, ect. Saves time and keeps everything organized....

Being a clutter bug for life is a problem. I have learned from a clean freak to take a few minute here and there to put things away so you do not spend extra time looking for them.  We would stop in the middle of a project to pick things up so they did not get lost. It works well. He always said if you are moving something more than once put it away. Same goes for the bench work, if a project is stalled I try and put it away. Maybe that is why I finish nothing.  

8 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Being a clutter bug for life is a problem. I have learned from a clean freak to take a few minute here and there to put things away so you do not spend extra time looking for them.  We would stop in the middle of a project to pick things up so they did not get lost. It works well. He always said if you are moving something more than once put it away. Same goes for the bench work, if a project is stalled I try and put it away. Maybe that is why I finish nothing.  

That's my strategy........or excuse, for having a mess.

"Out of sight, out of mind" translates into nothing getting done in my case.

If a particular build keeps grabbing my attention from across the room, I'm much more likely to get something done on it.

If I put it back into the box & on the shelf, I have a tendency to forget that it even exists!

As I sit here at the computer, I can glance to my right just a few feet away, and what do I see?

A '65  Fury, '56 Ford, '64 Dodge, '60 Imperial, '63 Dodge, '60 Continental, '60 Chevy, '56 resin Cadillac & a couple other ones that I'm not exactly sure why they're there! <_<

This does not even include the '63 Plymouth that I'm currently working on.

All of these are sitting on a table in my family room, all reminding me that they are waiting for me to resume work.

I figure that if it doesn't bother me, & it doesn't bother anyone else, who cares if things are messy.

My hobby room is fairly well "straightened up", but my work area is a total disaster.

But, I know where everything that I need is.

It's all within arms length, even if it is buried under 4 other things! :D

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Just picked up a drawer organizer from Harbor Freight a few days ago.  It was way too hot to work outside yesterday so I decided to try to reorganize my tool drawers.  My work area is a hodgepodge of old bedroom doors for a work surface and a leftover assortment of drawers from discarded pieces of furniture.  Had to split the organizer into two pieces to fit in the drawers.  I am amazed at what I found in those drawers.  How many 34 tooth X-Acto saws does one person need, I have two of the narrow and one medium with handles, I also have another brand narrow and wide blade saw.  I removed one complete set of jewelers files, since I have two more sets, a pin drill (kept two), two different sets of small screwdrivers, kept one.  All this not to mention the number of different X-Acto knife handles with an assortment of blades, also several different measuring devices (put two cheap plastic calipers into the Goodwill box),.  Anyway I can now find most of my tools, but my bench-top is a real mess.  I am currently working on two builds of the Lindberg 53 Ford convertibles, one is OOB and the other is a short track racer, so trying to keep those parts separate is a real balancing act.