Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glue Bomb Rescue: '72 GTO

Snake45

I thought this toy-show find would be another quickie cleanup, polish-out and Snake-Fu project, like the '69 Charger I did a couple months ago. The dark blue metallic paint looked solid, even though it had a few dust boogers and runs; the thing seemed to have "good bones."

72GTO02.jpg.2e6ef75c206180f1e5a8c006ebedf97b.jpg

72GTO04.jpg.bb5760b2c2aaff34e948173bfcb7d605.jpg

90 percent of the paint polished out quite nicely, but in color-sanding out the runs and boogers, I burned through in a few places. But I determined that the paint was Model Master Arctic Blue, or something VERY close to it, which I could match, so I drove on. 

72GTO09.jpg.8d078a7c01587f0be417698fbd4cc52d.jpg

72GTO12.jpg.64e54628410ac68ff1357e7bf39e617b.jpg

72GTO13.jpg.701bf9fa24711565ff8df63929f82d7c.jpg

72GTO14.jpg.447562f2cc37559f726b7dc77aefd495.jpg

72GTO17.jpg.a5bf41daa3467097d1f9375da5019e40.jpg

This was a great chance to try out my new $20 Walmart C&H double action airbrush, using it to touch up only the burned through areas and a brief spot around them, just enough to try to blend it in with careful polishing. Here's what the paint looks like after touchup but before polish-out. (Final polished pics will be in Under Glass pics--hopefully, very soon.) What red you still see will either be touched up with brush, or Silver Sharpied (i.e., wheel opening trim). No, it's not perfect, but it could pass for a home garage or high school shop paint job, or a perhaps a partial repaint for accident or rust repair. It'll look good enough for a late '70s high school hot rod, daily driver or street bomber. Thanks for looking, as, as always, comments welcome. 

72GTO19.thumb.jpg.42bacfb93a9eef8b830414e1ba08eeb4.jpg

72GTO21.jpg.9c7d4605fbcf109f94bd12a69ec9638b.jpg

72GTO23.jpg.e1c0a2bcca6b4acbcb378cbfd1e9a43c.jpg

72GTO25.jpg.c723860661448987b9c355d555c743f8.jpg

On 6/18/2018 at 9:59 PM, Snake45 said:

or a perhaps a partial repaint for accident or rust repair.

Exactly what it looks like... some of my best results are often by mistake... I like seeing older builds restored without losing the look of it. Good on you, I missed the Charger I'll have to look for it.

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Exactly what it looks like... some of my best results are often by mistake... I like seeing older builds restored without losing the look of it. Good on you, I missed the Charger I'll have to look for it.

Thanks for commenting...was beginning to thing I was invisible. :lol:  As a special thanks, here's a link to the aforementioned Charger. 

Thanks, the Charger looks like it was from the same builder he must've liked dark blue. Turned out nice!

Sometimes I get long winded and go on and on, I read all the posts I can but I can't alway comment like I'd want to. The GTO is gonna look good with all 70's flare.

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Thanks, the Charger looks like it was from the same builder he must've liked dark blue. Turned out nice!

I had the same thought. The paint looks like the same, and so does the building style and overall "vibe." (Comically jacked assend, etc.) 

Edited by Snake45

31 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Yep close match Snake,..might want to hit the whole thing to match up the flake tho...

Keep it going, I like watching your Snakifications to prebuilts,..Great saves man Cheers

After polishing, the "flake" is pretty close in real life. It doesn't look nearly as flaky as it does in the flash photography. 

Repainting the whole thing would have defeated the whole purpose of the exercise. I could have just started with one of the brand-new kits on the shelf. The fun of these things is to see how little I can do to it to get it looking marginally acceptable. Perfection is not the goal, just improvement to a somewhat satisfactory level. B)

The fact that it doesn't match 100% is what makes it appear to be a repair job. You've seen older repairs on real cars where the paint was blended and then the sun reacts differently to both paints. That is what it looks like to me. I don't think you could acheive that look purposefully if you tried. I call that a happy mistake. Lol!

10 hours ago, disconovaman said:

The fact that it doesn't match 100% is what makes it appear to be a repair job. You've seen older repairs on real cars where the paint was blended and then the sun reacts differently to both paints. That is what it looks like to me. I don't think you could acheive that look purposefully if you tried. I call that a happy mistake. Lol!

Thanks! Ironically, my very first impression of the paint on this one was that it was so good, it might have been possible to take the thing all the way back to factory stock. Well, so much for THAT idea. But I'm kinda getting into these late '70s drivers/street bombers. I was driving a '69 Camaro myself at that time....

9 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Now you just rub a dryer sheet on the paint to make it shiny and smooth again?

No, have never tried that. I polish with Wright's Silver Cream, a silver polish available at Walmart and where house-cleaning stuff is sold. It works great on both paint and plastic. 

28 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Nice rescue work. Have you decided if you'll go for the "broken in" look or total makeover?

No, it'll definitely be "lived in." I have at least three brand new copies of this kit, and one day I'll do a "nice" one. (In fact, I have one in progress as a '71 conversion.)