Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barmy to Barcelona in a Thunderbird 4.......

Hi Guys

I thought I would share what Ive been working on lately. Its made of plastic (well glass fibre) so its a kinda 1;1 scale model lol

I celebrated a milestone birthday a few weeks back. Unfortunately its not 21 (again) or 40 !
So to celebrate my 50th myself and a few similar age friends signed up on The Barmy to Barcelona Wacky Rally.

This is a Rally that covers 7 countries in 4 days (6th - 9th July) inc one of the Alps highest passes, French Riviera, Costa Brava and finally the great city of Barcelona, in a car that’s been bought for approx. £350. As its a Wacky Rally, the car needs to be transformed from old / boring / mundane into something Wacky to make the drive more fun.
The chosen vehicle for us is an ex London Taxi Metro cab that’s covered a low mileage 350,000 miles (hopefully another 2000 will be no problem). With the aid of Master Mechanics / a lot of yellow / make do props / divine inspiration we are transforming it into Thunderbird 4 !

We are doing the Rally in support of 2 Charities that are close to us, The Parkinson’s Society & The St Helena Hospice and have set up donation pages if anybody would like to donate & help us achieve our £1000 target.

(unsure if this is allowed on this forum ?)

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/SteveCutmore

Here are videos of the last couple of Barmy to Barcelona's

The Thunderbird 4 Taxi (T’urd 4) is now almost ready for launch !

The last bits n bobs are due to be done this week as the start of the Wacky Rally is only a couple of weeks away.

We now have the route which includes driving through 4 countries in the 1st day (France, Belgium, Luxembourg & Switzerland) and an 8 hour drive through the Swiss Alps on the 2nd (Why do the Swiss not worry about crash barriers on mountain roads ?). The 3rd day includes a relaxing (in an old Taxi ???) drive through Monaco to Monte Carlo and the 4th and final day we finish in Barcelona.

I'll update before we leave if its of interest to you all in the U.S. ect ? I look forward to some of your comments lol. We are also planning on filming the complete trip.

Here is what we started with;

49575a95fbe782ccc.jpg.99c164c828fcf389538b9be9a65e4f73.jpg

This is how it looks now. The roof fin ect still needs to go on.

20180613_175839_resized.thumb.jpg.9a3c03071ceef0e6f1ea2fe9ac64285a.jpg20180613_175907_resized.thumb.jpg.2c9f1bf6e67e9605ac4588ddb7befc23.jpg

Edited by 57peppershaker