Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detailed Road Tough 1/24 '57 Nomad

ranma

The Green Nomad was advertised as turquoise, which it is not Turquoise. The car came with the interior mostly off white with blue green accent on the seat and lower door panel. Also it had to many caps on the battery as well as a dull silver air cleaner. Took the car apart and redone the dash, interior, door panel's and under the hood. along with the grill and head light detailing being done. The actual Turquoise '57 Nomad was made by Lucky Die Cast, But the hood and some other parts were not added to that one. The Lucky die cast looks like the hood would open but upon taking it apart for detailing the hood is "pined" shut, Also the side moldings/door handle's are molded to the body. Lucky's 57 is a Cheapened copy of the Road Tough Nomad, But it cost me more to buy the Lucky than the Road Tough copy.

DSC02961.JPG

DSC02962.JPG

DSC02963.JPG

DSC02964.JPG

DSC02966.JPG

DSC02967.JPG

DSC02968.JPG

DSC02969.JPG

DSC02971.JPG

DSC02972.JPG

DSC02973.JPG

DSC02974.JPG

DSC02975.JPG

Wow Rick! They look pretty good and the proportions look spot on! I was hoping for an up to date kit of this from Revell since we had their very nice '56, but with the looks of things it's never going to happen. :(

Guess I'll have to make my own someday and no, that hoary Revell kit doesn't count! :huh:

Thanks for the detailed writeup and pics. I've never seen either of these, would prolly buy one if I ran across it and the price was right. I prefer the color of the "green" one but the color's not a deal-breaker if the body or details are more accurate on the other one. 

Are they both the same size? Do they seem to be true 1/24, or, like some of these things, are they a little "under"? That wouldn't bother me at all as I'd like it better if it were closer to 1/25. (I have a couple 1/26 diecasts that don't look out of place on my shelf.) 

Thanks again for the preview! 

"Snake" Yes both nomads are the same size and very close to 1/25 as they work well with the Revell '57 150/Bel- Air/Convertible kit's I bought the road tough on ebay for the total of $22.50 ( nomad was 12,50 + 10.00 shipping) Where as I bought the (lucky Die cast from Publishers clearing house and almost cost twice what I bought the road tough for. The Road tough car is a tad odd interior wise as it has column shift and a floor mounted shift, And I opted to keep the Column shift.  Road tough has as far as I have seen two colors of the 1/24 Nomad the green one and a reddish one, Too which I own both of them. Here's the Reddish one among the 1/25 '57 kits.

DSC02712.JPG

DSC02710.JPG

DSC02711.JPG

Nice!  I sold a 1/18 on ebay not long ago.  Always thought it deserved the detail treatment, but I am trying to liquidate the 1/18s as they just take up too much space.  I think I have a 1/43 road legend of this one as well.

Randy