Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sauber-Mercedes C9 # 61 1989 Le Mans

Nataan92

Hi All,

2 weeks ago, I was at a local Hobby swap meet. I came across this little beauty and swooped on it. The kit was 30AUD which is about the asking price for a basic Brand new tamiya kit. I was stoked to get such a rare, complete kit for such a price. This, and the Mazda 787B, are my all time favorite race cars. There is something about the boxy late 80's - 90's styling that i really love.

When i got home i went online and bought the Hobby Design PE kit too.

awOjM8-eRRNJsh2ZD0FmeeOEysrnmt6DHtOiP32i-FsRg1hAF929R_A5uPifhsW_hGJnvOvdLZJz_HJXEAvym3iWFTCWDBFhBDaupnlG3ZFt8I5DlCPDIWaRaARAyQ8Nsain4VZc

The kit is complete, with all parts still inside their plastic bags. Looking at the instructions, you can tell the age of this kit, as the white paper has gone yellow, as have the decals unfortunately. I am hoping that they can still be used. The carrier film has a slight yellow tone to it too. I havent had much luck in finding this livery online, the only one i have found is 50USD. I have some Microscale Liquid decal film, which is meant to restore old decals, so ill give that a shot first, before i go and buy some new decals.

3vap-okDFl_soE0SqH4cpZDE_DfrETK8Tyoaa-eCpKDJy9Pn1Zdn_lXEa4Cq4ZB_BR7lOxl5kjbjVszdVZPDlqjm6veM5mqmd8ws8eRyrvz-wZOE42zEfZKdFOXS55s5IoY0BXD3

I am planning on detailing this kit as much as possible, and will be building it to the #61 car which finished 2nd in the 1989 race (I prefer the bright orange accents, over the yellow which was on the winning #63 car).

Thanks for looking, I'll hopefully have some build updates soon

Nathan

I almost won this kit a couple of weeks ago in an eBay auction but there was someone bidding against me and I wasn't sure how high they would go but they got it for $30 dollars.  This is very detailed kit as I understand it.  

Edited by jchrisf

1 hour ago, jchrisf said:

I almost won this kit a couple of weeks ago in an eBay auction but there was someone bidding against me and I wasn't sure how high they would go but they got it for $30 dollars.  This is very detailed kit as I understand it.  

yes, certainly the engine bay and interior are very detailed. 

Looks like an interesting find. I just finished a model of the BRE Racing Datsun 510 that was produced in 1978. I had very similar problems with the decals as you have mentioned. I suggest you check with the Model Building Q & A section here on the Forum. I remember seeing a discussion on how to restore older kit decals. I would try and find that discussion and see what everyone else has tried before you put what seems like irreplaceable  decals in jeopardy.   

Yes I've just started...

photo-th.jpg

What does annoy me about the majority of race/rally car kits is that they don't include seat belts on their decal sheets, you always have to source those somewhere else and they are expensive to get one A5 sheet of them! So I now print my own! 

Just imagine driving one of these with no belts on, crazy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All, Im back at it with this kit. I took a break from it shortly after starting, to do some less intimidating kits.

Today, I did a lot of the engine bay parts. I am really glad i bought the detail up set, as the added details are amazing, and very satisfying to build.

I started with the transmission/oil coolers, suspension brace and brakes, which are built up as layers of PE pieces. I have done brakes like this in the past, but this one was by far the easiest. Unfortunately, while i was trying to colour/paint the oil cooler's AN fittings, i lost one, so will have to wait for some more to be delivered later in the week. The engine is slowly coming together, and am very happy with how it looks.

image.png.424427e6d2d0fa4a7bdb69fcb2a1e4fb.png

image.png.73ef85d9e4a36671ac3069bd68ab679b.png

image.png.f0223c7446e0b828df28742b9fd146dc.png

image.png.c884754d053c377b80f46f658e0c675d.png

image.png.fb37f8185367c9f8cb6ca3b6863873ea.png

image.png.18d9ebbec9106b49e22b2c37b52139d0.png

Thanks for looking

Nathan

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Yikes, this kit is considered rare?  If I actually do this project, the decals could be sold separately?  :rolleyes:

IMG_6625_Fotor.jpg

Oh really? that would be a really cool build. If you do happen to go that route, i would be interested in the decals, assuming I cant fix the ones i have.

5 hours ago, Nataan92 said:

Oh really? that would be a really cool build. If you do happen to go that route, i would be interested in the decals, assuming I cant fix the ones i have.

I live in Arizona, so good chance they are still good.  And I would be glad to help.

@Nathan: this is coming along nicely. I guess the HD PE set will really add some useful details to the kit. As regards the decals, I trust that you will be able to use them and they'll look fine in combination with the body's silver color.

@Kurt: I don't quite get it why you'll need the C9 kit for building the C111...?

• 4 months later...

Hey all,

Finally back at it with this model. it as been a very busy start to the year, so have had no time to continue modelling. There is a local contest coming up in June that i want to submit this into, so i better get a move on. 

I have now finished pretty much all the wiring and hoses for the engine bay.

image.png.33079083f6c7e8bf8b324046a74d4a76.png

image.png.d28d53e55f93a3ef1aa8d1c4178705ff.png

I have also completed the PE rear wing supports and transmission mounts, Which were a major pain in the butt, so i'm glad that they are done now :)

I have also completed the painting of the Chassis which needed a few areas masked. 

image.png.0fec673d814c829eb13e4ab696fb481d.png

image.png.d76646468dedd68c145081e88d4e56f1.png

image.png.427f41bece16cbbb94ec91ac038874bb.png

image.png.5bfce10feeb64c041080581568d19774.png

I have also started painting the body, and i have the decals sitting in the window frame, and am pleased to report that it seems to be doing the trick. 

Hopefully my next update will be much sooner.

Thanks for looking

Nathan

On 6/19/2018 at 4:36 PM, Nataan92 said:

I havent had much luck in finding this livery online, the only one i have found is 50USD. I have some Microscale Liquid decal film, which is meant to restore old decals, so ill give that a shot first, before i go and buy some new decals.

Have you taken a look at spotmodel.com ?? Ive found them pretty good for finding a ton of kits, and optional add-ons to kits.

Hi All, 

Another small update on this build. I have almost completed the engine bay, just exhaust and turbo's to go. The firewall and structural frame/roll cage were completed, and i added some heat shield foil to add some more detail. i am very pleased with how it is coming together now. i may even get it finished by my June deadline. I will probably do the body next.

image.png.2546d3850a762e85e457e3aacbf4c544.pngimage.png.03aa54d0a54d696a17250c21b094dd6a.pngimage.png.c5581d05179cfb5481700316b0d7f2ef.png

Thanks  for looking

Nathan

Hi All, 

Another day closer to finishing this kit. Today i finally finished the engine bay, this included the exhaust, Turbo's and some more wiring for the brakes and wastegates.

image.png.a0152b1f8250c7682b5b740cb9e2fc9f.png

image.png.cab030f0fddccc7bde8f36c4cbd12f0a.png

image.png.752b4750b97fa2c481b21f4d77b3656b.png

I am very happy with the detail and finish of the engine bay. It will look very nice when the whole car is complete.

Today, i also completed most of the interior. All that is left is to make the harnesses for the drivers seat. Its a shame that most of the details of the interior will be hidden when the body goes on.

image.png.d5764ffb7e7eefd2d75975fd555ba928.png

image.png.68af266a0f3155e5680f47f2ef7788f9.png

image.png.d090b0d96e9021ce42433d031f3edbc3.png

Tomorrow i will be starting to apply the decals to the body.

Thanks for looking

Nathan

These are nice kits and yours look good so far...I remeber them on the tracks from back in the day...the Mercedes C9 had a distinct V8 sound and the Jaguar had nice V12 sound.
I have a couple of the C9 and a Jaguar XJS 9 in my stash and will probably build them someday.