Model Cars Magazine Forum

I couldn't find a thread specific for tools anywhere, so I thought I would start one. I bought these two items a while back at Lee Valley with a gift card I received. The hand held one I have used a number of times already. The "big" 2-1/2" swivel vise I have to make a set of soft jaw covers for yet and re-mount it at the center of my workbench.

IMG_4011.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

11 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

The "big" 2-1/2" swivel vise I have to make a set of soft jaw covers for yet and re-mount it at the center of my workbench.

IMG_4009.JPG

Get some aluminum angle-iron and cut two pieces slightly wider than the jaws of the vics; using contact cement, glue some cork to one outer face on each piece. Open the vise, set the uncorked face on the top of the vise with the corked faces on the inside of the jaws, and tighten the vise.

Attaching them to the vise is optional; just set them in place and clamp the part. That way, you have the ability to use the original vise jaws or the cork-padded ones.

Edited by BigTallDad

Harbor Freight has a set of rubber inserts for small vises that works well. They are magnetized so they stay in place while you're using the vise. The rubber is a kind of hard rubber so it's fairly firm, but not so hard as to leave marks on soft material.

I say they have them. I haven't looked for a while. I'm just guessing they still have them for sale. I think I accidentally ran across them while searching their site for a vise.

Greg, you have made a wise purchase. I also have two on my bench  (2in. and 4 in.) and I use them all the time. The pads on the other bench are 6", one set  is clip on, the other magnetic. I'm sure  they make them in different sizes. You may have to fabricate the smallest one though. I personally don't use them in my little vise but maybe I should.

IMG_7388.jpg

IMG_7389.jpg

IMG_7391.jpg