Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hirohata Merc - my holy grail

randyc

I have decided to begin the search for one of these.  Have set up ebay to let me know when they appear.   This has always been my "holy grail" car -  my favorite Kustom of all times.   I know a lot of people hate it and some just don't care, but this is my favorite of all times in this genre.    If anyone has a nice one for sale, pm me.  I'm going to try to stay in $100 neighborhood and they appear regularly.  No rush on it, just starting to shop for one that is complete.  The car mainly, but the boxes and box candy would be nice as well.  bid on one for $61 last week that says was missing the windshield (!) even though it was in the pictures.  And might be missing other parts.   It went for $83 eventually.   I see the JF resin body, but I know me and I don;t want to undertake that project to build.  Don't want to have to run down parts and fab stuff.   In this case, the DM diecast is perfect.   Will go with my HotWheels 1/24 merc perfectly.  And my other plastic builds.   Am starting to look at other "mint" diecasts of things the plastic mfrs haven't made.   58 pontiac and stuff like that.  If I can get smaller versions of things I have, I can ebay my 1/18s off which take up a lot of room, too.  

Randy

Well, I got one.  Yayyyy.   Now becomes the most expensive model in my collection.  When it gets here.   

Also dug out my Dad's 3 Franklin Mint cars, 49 Buick, 1910 Cadillac, and 1913 Rolls.   the Buick is the one that excited me.  He was a haevy smoker, so had to dismantle and CLEAN it.  OMG, poor cars.   And his cleaning service was no friend to any of the three.   They should be shot!  lol.   But I'll use what I know and have to make parts or replace things like door handles and hood ornament on the Buick.  the others I'll have to wait and see what I can find.   

I also bought the purple/pink(?) 50 Merc custom for $20.  It hasn't arrived yet either and is going to need a spotlight and windshield when it gets here.   I'm figuring when I can buy these on the cheap, they are about same as I would have invested in a plastic kit without all the time investment.  The time can be used to build something I already have or detail up something or restore something.  And the diecast market gives us a chance to have things that the plastic manufacturers haven't given us.  My wife loves the diecast "mint" cars because she can openthe doors and such.  And she doesn't feel like they are as fragile.  We're working on that part.  lol  

Plus I have built about all the reissues we get now at some point and have no intest in doing most of them again.   So I am still collecting toy cars as hard as I can.  

I received my Hirohata.  Opened it up, took it out, played with the features, made sure it was as represented.   Put it back in box til September.  It is my birthday present from my family.  they all know and are contributing to pay for it.   But OMG, what a fabulous, delicate model.   LOTS of working features, up to and including the little wheels under bumper to keep the car from dragging the rear bumper off.   The window frames are very delicate.  Pretty amazing model.  Working suspension.   

• 3 weeks later...

They really did.  I have been buying a bunch more when I can get them cheap and none of the others really compare.  Franklin Mint isn't even close on the ones I have bought.  I guess I'm in "starter" car range mostly.  But have bought about 20 since this one and have [mostly] spent around $20 or less each.   Got one bunch for $10 each plus  shipping and everyone of them were complete.  Fun new part of hobby.  

Sounds like you're making some great deals Randy. I try to do the same. Some need minor repairs which I like doing and some I disassemble and take them in a new direction, like I did with this FM '60 Falcon with a bunch of issues that was actually given to me because of that. I had a lot of fun converting it.

38654922500_9afb2ce0fd_z.jpg

25594488307_2cc2125b00_z.jpg