Model Cars Magazine Forum

2002 Pontiac Trans Am Collectors Edition

RickRollerLT1

A few months ago at one of the local mtgs, a member was selling some kits and aftermarket decal sheets cheap. Bought some deals and the decals were mostly Slixx drag car decals and 80s-90s era sheets from kits like monogram drag cars and some 90s AMT, but one he had that struck me was a Trans Am Collectors Edition decal sheet (in a baggie marked 2002 Firebird, no manufacturer name) that appeared to fit the Revell 98 Firebird, and it was only a buck so I bought it. Since I had a 2005 Revell reissue of the 98 Firebird on hand and these decals, I looked up photos of the 1:1s to get an idea of what the decals were for and that would give me a spark for a quick fun future project (after dealing with all the work on a incomplete Monogram 41 Lincoln which I also plan to post here).

Paint is Rustoluem Yellow (close enough match for the 1:1 sun yellow) and Colorplace black for the roof, all cleared with future. Decals were ok-ish at best, a bit thin and transparent (the silver stripes on the 1:1s are kinda a transparent darkish color here thou) but they did the job well, and I wasn't gonna sweat this being factory stock since I had a plans to do light custom work anyway. Part of the ram air intake had a bit of a short shot so that was cut off and plastic tubing painted silver was used to as an intake pipe to connect to what wasn't half molded. The stock wheels were too small so the custom wheels were used and the toy-ish chrome backings were painted black with rotor decals from another kit to livin it up. The 98 had a single exhaust for some odd reason so that piece was swapped from a snap-tite '93 a friend of mine traded me for another 98 I had that he wanted (he's in love with 4th gen F-bodies and wants to try to build one of these too since I bought the decals first and wonders who originally made them).

20180620_032114.jpg

20180620_032202.jpg

20180620_032209.jpg

20180620_032301.jpg

20180620_032312.jpg

20180620_032410.jpg

20180620_032738.jpg

Apologies if a few of the pics came out kinda blurry, but I didn't notice them on my phones screen (OLEDs must have some kind of magic that hides imperfections that show on normal HDTVs).

Edited by RickRollerLT1

Hah, those decals would appear to be mine, the main stripes are black and silver metallic but I reckon that's them at least. Holy Christ they got around if they ended up at a swap meet, I pretty much only sold a handful to a few people! But seriously solid work on it man, the yellow is pretty much spot on and it looks friggin' epic.

2002firebird.jpg

Edited by echoxrayniner

1 hour ago, echoxrayniner said:

Hah, those decals would appear to be mine, the main stripes are black and silver metallic but I reckon that's them at least. Holy Christ they got around if they ended up at a swap meet, I pretty much only sold a handful to a few people! But seriously solid work on it man, the yellow is pretty much spot on and it looks friggin' epic.

2002firebird.jpg

So you were the one who made those decals originally? These look better than the ones i got which were ok ish but kinda transparent (the silver here is proper, not white on the sheet then transparent like what i had). The guy who comes to the mtgs from time to time sells things hes picks up dirt cheap from toy shows and nnl/swap meets, so its possible he could get things like Lee knock offs of Tamiya kits and no name decals that could be someones lower quality "boots" of others sheets in bundles he gets.

I imagine you originally made those decals for one of your builds then decided to offer them for sale? I have a friend who would be intrested in your set and wonder if you have a site or email of some sort for him?

Edited by RickRollerLT1

11 minutes ago, RickRollerLT1 said:

So you were the one who made those decals originally? These look better than the ones i got which were ok ish but kinda transparent (the silver here is proper, not white on the sheet then transparent like what i had). The guy who comes to the mtgs from time to time sells things hes picks up dirt cheap from toy shows and nnl/swap meets, so its possible he could get things like Lee knock offs of Tamiya kits and no name decals that could be someones lower quality "boots" of others sheets in bundles he gets.

I imagine you originally made those decals for one of your builds then decided to offer them for sale? I have a friend who would be intrested in your set and wonder if you have a site or email of some sort for him?

Yeah, they sure look like mine! Though I did wonder for a brief second, the silver's metallic and all(bit like the taillight center section) instead of white, which was the best I could do for it all given the real one has dark grays and whatnot and the ALPS I had 'em printed on... well it didn't do grays or semi-transparents hah. And I gotta admit, I was sure that the blacks were also less jagged, hell for an example, this is the one I build with 'em:
2002firebirdce-21.jpg2002firebirdce_sunny-4.jpg
2002firebirdce_sunny-9.jpg2002firebirdce-4.jpg

So it's possible its a knock-off, I honestly have no clue. I made 'em for the most part for myself with the secondary idea to just sell 'em to those interested. And for your friend, I have a website with all I've got on offer with contact info/means there.

6 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

Yeah, they sure look like mine! Though I did wonder for a brief second, the silver's metallic and all(bit like the taillight center section) instead of white, which was the best I could do for it all given the real one has dark grays and whatnot and the ALPS I had 'em printed on... well it didn't do grays or semi-transparents hah. And I gotta admit, I was sure that the blacks were also less jagged, hell for an example, this is the one I build with 'em:
2002firebirdce-21.jpg2002firebirdce_sunny-4.jpg
2002firebirdce_sunny-9.jpg2002firebirdce-4.jpg

So it's possible its a knock-off, I honestly have no clue. I made 'em for the most part for myself with the secondary idea to just sell 'em to those interested. And for your friend, I have a website with all I've got on offer with contact info/means there.

Nice! Thanks for the info ill relay it to him.

Yeah, possible the set i bought was indeed a mediocore copy of yours, but the weird thing is the center taillight decal WAS true slver in the lettering yet the side black stripes where the silver should be are transparent??

Guess we're gonna have to watch out for such "thievery" even in our modeling community.

Case in point, many years ago when youtube was sprouting and before the content id elitests, i made an account (very breifly) with some slideshow videos of some of my builds with music. Not only did my videos get flagged by inept rights holders for music (when it was from old video games ala 16 bit and some f zero tunes), but i had dozens of dumb trolls and morons steal my slideshow videos music and all, and claiming them as their own getting away without content id claims like I had (most of whom have dissapeared most likely due to the recent YT copyright perges that have been going on) Instead of getting into wars with trolls that will always win, I said eff youtube and rarely post stuff even today unless its a build i find special to me (because even the trolls could steal my photos and make some dumb claims on my work).

Edited by RickRollerLT1
Samsung spellcheck is bugged