Model Cars Magazine Forum

I found a good lot of kits, are there some worth to stay in box?

Hi guys, as the title says, I bought these kits from a nice italian guy, who sold them all sealed.

The tyre kits were given to me for free, as a gift. Only 160$ total, shipping included.

Being a total newbie with car model kits, I buy them because I'd like to build them, not for the value.

But is there some kit I should keep on the shelf? I mean, until I'm quite familiar with the tools/paints/modifications...

I wouldn't like to mess up with a rare/high value kit with my 'beginner' fingers! :D

Or could you suggest me a site/link with a sort of database of amt/mpc kits produced until now?

Thanks a lot in advance, have a nice day folks!

IMG_20180621_171106.jpg

Thanks guys for your help! Yes, some of them were unsealed for some customers who wanted to see the content but then didn't buy. It's not a problem for me. 

The seller told me to check, if something is missing.

Here in Italy prices for amt models are outrageous, the two pickups with trailers cost about 50$ each here, and yeller and mixer are hard to find. I've been very lucky! 

Too bad he had other 40 kits to sell, I could have run out of money in seconds... 

I had to make a hard choice! LOL

You can pick one and build it and use it as a means to work on your skills so the next one is little better than the one before. Figure out which one you want to start with and go from there.

You got a great deal on those kits, well worth what you paid for them. Enjoy!

9 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

You can pick one and build it and use it as a means to work on your skills so the next one is little better than the one before. Figure out which one you want to start with and go from there.

You got a great deal on those kits, well worth what you paid for them. Enjoy!

I've already bought a ford econoline phantom van, used to learn how to open doors/panels from the body and then build the hinges.

It will be my first build.

I'm still in contact with the seller, I told him to drop me a line whenever he may want to sell other lots.

Getting those kits for about US $16 each was a good deal.  If you plan to keep some "on the shelf," maybe keep the 2 kits on top. They are more unusual "combination kits," with the trailers, boat, motorcycles etc.

Here are some prices from eBay in the U.S.  Only 1 Monogram "Offroad Adventure Set" has sold recently, for US $50.39 +$12.00 shipping. Several "Gone Fishing" kits have sold for prices ranging from $24.95 to $64.00.  

I had an eBay sale that ended last Sunday.  One item I sold was the Revell "Mach 1 Formula Team," which is similar to the "Gone Fishing" set with a racing boat. It got 17 bids and sold for $36.51 + $10.15 shipping. 

46.jpg

If it was me,I'd stash the Lil Red Express truck away.Along with the outdoor adventure kit.I haven't seen the Offroad adventure kit in a long time..The others are pretty cool kits,but in my opinion,nothing really worth saving.Go have fun building the rest.

28 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

If it was me,I'd stash the Lil Red Express truck away.Along with the outdoor adventure kit.I haven't seen the Offroad adventure kit in a long time..The others are pretty cool kits,but in my opinion,nothing really worth saving.Go have fun building the rest.

Hi, what do you mean with stash away? Sorry, Google translates in "hide"... Do you think I should put it on the shelf for the first moment along with trailers kits?

The Lil Red was too cheap to say no, I think it was 7$... :D

I'm collecting references for the cars atm, and I'm excited like a child!

There are plenty of great wip threads here, and youtube tutorials... It will be a hot weekend, I need to study a lot!

Thanks all for your precious help, see you! Ciao :)

2 hours ago, Spezial Grade said:

Hi, what do you mean with stash away? Sorry, Google translates in "hide"... Do you think I should put it on the shelf for the first moment along with trailers kits?

The Lil Red was too cheap to say no, I think it was 7$... :D

I'm collecting references for the cars atm, and I'm excited like a child!

There are plenty of great wip threads here, and youtube tutorials... It will be a hot weekend, I need to study a lot!

Thanks all for your precious help, see you! Ciao :)

Yea keep it sealed,and put it on the shelf or storage.

It's interesting what people tell you. I have an original issue Lil' Red Truck and after the reissue it appears to be worthless. I'd like the Lil' Yeller. I build it decades ago and missed the reissue. Here's what you should consider. Would you get more enjoyment building it or holding onto it hoping it gains enough value that you can buy more enjoyment with the money than building it? Let that be your guide.

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

It's interesting what people tell you. I have an original issue Lil' Red Truck and after the reissue it appears to be worthless. I'd like the Lil' Yeller. I build it decades ago and missed the reissue. Here's what you should consider. Would you get more enjoyment building it or holding onto it hoping it gains enough value that you can buy more enjoyment with the money than building it? Let that be your guide.

Learnig and building, of course! :D

But being a novice I wouldn't like to start with some rare or valuable kit,

for me they are all beautiful, but I would touch the "best ones" after at least 6-7 other cars,

enough to get comfortable (I hope) with paint and modifications.

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

Would you get more enjoyment building it or holding onto it hoping it gains enough value that you can buy more enjoyment with the money than building it? Let that be your guide.

Always good advice.  I don't really mean to hoard a lot of kits, I just never get around to building them.  Or a better one comes along and I get rid of the older one.  Sometimes that works out in my favor, for example...

Recently I bought the Bestcarmodels '61 Corvair Rampside resin kit.  It's expensive ($75), but I know Mike and the quality of his work.  At a show once, he explained to me how he mastered his '50 Olds station wagon. It was complicated and mind-boggling. That guy is an extreme perfectionist.

I had the resin copy of the old Palmer '61 Rampside, which was only sold on the internet some years ago by a small outfit called Corvair Models.  Because it was a direct copy of the Palmer kit, it was in about 1/27 scale with a multi-part body and just not very good.  But it was the only Rampside kit until Bestcarmodels came along.

Had an eBay sale last week and put the Corvair Models Rampside up, with a starting bid of $29.99.  I was just hoping to recoup most of the $75 purchase price of the new resin kit. That old Rampside sold for over $160. (/humblebrag)