Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good Spray Can finish for Engine Blocks and Transmissions?

Hey guys I was just curious if anyone had a spray paint they like to use when they paint engines and trannys?

My typical approach is to use tamiya primer and then airbrush model master aluminum metalizer. It has just the right grain for cast finish. However sometimes it would be nice to have a lazier route and mayber use a spray can.

I've tried tamiya silver leaf but it appears too bright. Gloss aluminum might work if sprayed in light coats and then dry brushed with an acrylic and some weathering. But I was curious if there was an option anyone here uses? Thanks

It's good to remember that different engines and gearboxes, made with different materials using different methods during different time periods have many different surface finishes.

For instance, sand-cast iron that blocks and earlier gearbox housings were made from have the characteristic slightly rough finish.

Sand-cast aluminium can also be likewise rough, but many aluminum automatic gearbox housings have quite a smooth finish, like die-cast parts (carburetors and late model manual gearboxes and engine parts also).

Anything fabricated from tubing will have a smooth finish, as well as pulleys and brackets.

I've seen lotsa models spoiled when everything under the hood looks like cast iron.

Study photos of the REAL version of what you're modeling to determine what degree of surface roughness is appropriate (assuming you want reasonable accuracy).

As far as Testors "metalizers" go, you can get various surface effects...from dead smooth and looking like machined parts, to rough and pebbly looking like sand-cast...simply by varying your spray technique.

15 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's good to remember that different engines and gearboxes, made with different materials using different methods during different time periods have many different surface finishes.

For instance, sand-cast iron that blocks and earlier gearbox housings were made from have the characteristic slightly rough finish.

Sand-cast aluminium can also be likewise rough, but many aluminum automatic gearbox housings have quite a smooth finish, like die-cast parts (carburetors and late model manual gearboxes and engine parts also).

Anything fabricated from tubing will have a smooth finish, as well as pulleys and brackets.

I've seen lotsa models spoiled when everything under the hood looks like cast iron.

Study photos of the REAL version of what you're modeling to determine what degree of surface roughness is appropriate (assuming you want reasonable accuracy).

As far as Testors "metalizers" go, you can get various surface effects...from dead smooth and looking like machined parts, to rough and pebbly looking like sand-cast...simply by varying your spray technique.

Agreed on all points

Especially spraying metalizers at various distances to achieve different results. For auto trans , I like to spray them with dull aluminum then while still wet take the bristles of a dry brush then poke them to get a rougher finish.

keep in mind, I don't do contest so 1000 % dead nuts accuracy ( especially on something I cant see when looking in my display case )  MY goal is reasonable accuracy within a reasonable effort

Krylon Dull Aluminum in the large cans is a good go-to for a basic cast aluminum finish.  Sometimes difficult to find but worth it.  Some Ace Hardware stores have it.  As has been said, there are different levels of brightness ands gloss in an engine compartment but this is a good place to start.  Dull Aluminum also makes a good base coat for metallizers and other metallic finishes.