Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need to buy some new brushes for brush painting using MM enamel but it’s been a while since I bought any. I will probably go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby both are close. Anyone bought brushes there recently, what brand, and how did they work? Any recommendations?

I have always preferred sable brushes & have shied away from synthetics. However the last time I looked at HL they seemed to have almost exclusively synthetic & synthetic blend brushes. Admittedly I have not bought brushes in decades (having stocked up during a close out) so maybe the synthetic & synthetic blend brushes are the way to go these days. 

I also have a silver fox brush that is one of my favorites.

I like the Artists Loft brushes available at Michaels. The larger handle is comfortable for my old hands and the brushes are finely tipped. I have several. Use their 40% off coupon available at the website. They're only $4 retail so that's $2.40 plus the governors cut.

http://www.michaels.com/artists-loft-roma-tight-spot-brush/M10213656.html

My last few brushes have come, believe it or not, from generic "value packs" from the craft section at Walmart. You get a bunch of them--a dozen or more--for 3 or 4 or 5 dollars, I forget. More than half the brushes in these packages are far too big for model work, and pretty much junk to boot, but each has contained at least three or four nice and very usable smaller ones. One in particular, I've been using for over 7 years now and it's still chugging along and has performed and lasted better than "name" brushes I've paid $5 or more for. 

Hobby lobby has a couple of ‘sets’ of brushes in the model isle, along with all the paint and supplies. I bought one of each, cheap, but have a nice selection of tips, been working well for me for a few years now.

On 6/23/2018 at 1:19 AM, #1 model citizen said:

I have always preferred sable brushes & have shied away from synthetics. However the last time I looked at HL they seemed to have almost exclusively synthetic & synthetic blend brushes. Admittedly I have not bought brushes in decades (having stocked up during a close out) so maybe the synthetic & synthetic blend brushes are the way to go these days. 

I also have a silver fox brush that is one of my favorites.

Hobby Lobby sells many brands, types, and levels of quality brushes--if you can stand the extra price, it's pretty hard to top the Winsor & Newton brand--very top quality sable,  and in sizes and styles that more than fit any model builder's needs.  Also, take a look at Grumbacher (HL carries those as well).  Both brands cater to artists and serious craft persons--I've found both to be excellent.

Art