Model Cars Magazine Forum

hobby lobby

Fri., 6/22/18:  just dropped by the local Hobby Lobby.  This store has only been open for about 2 months.  They had quite a few heavily discounted kits, in the scale model aisle mixed in with the regular-priced kits.

All these were marked down to $7.49. I don't think I missed any, but may have:

AMT/R2 '57 Ford

Polar Lights McEwen Barracuda Funny Car

Revell '76 Ford Torino, both versions were marked down:  Starsky & Hutch, plus the regular stock Torino

Revell '64 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt, last re-issue with both hoods

Revell Mazda RX-7

Revell Porsche 914

Revell Yenko '69 Corvette

Thanks.. I'll be curious to see if mine and other's HLs also have these deals.  I just picked up the Polar Lights McEwen Barracuda Funny Car last week for $19 with 40% off.  If I could have gotten it for $7.49 I would have gotten three.

It is very rare for chains like this to run local discounts if one store has it the others usually do. If they have them in stock is a different matter

its not easy to run a POS register system that maintains different prices by store

2 hours ago, jaxenro said:

It is very rare for chains like this to run local discounts if one store has it the others usually do. If they have them in stock is a different matter

its not easy to run a POS register system that maintains different prices by store

True, but history has shown us that Hobby Lobby will do stuff regionally so as to not overwhelm their warehouse system. With that in mind, Mike999 is in South Carolina and someone in Texas might not see the same markdowns he is for another month or so.

I will check my HL as I am only 150 miles away from him and it could be happening at my local store.

Odd typically markdowns aren’t done regionally you need a fairly robust system to be able to scan the item and have the correct price ring up differently at different stores unless you are just doing manual price overrides at the register 

sorry about POS I hear that every day so am used to it I work in the IT dept of a medium size retail chain

3 hours ago, jaxenro said:

Odd typically markdowns aren’t done regionally you need a fairly robust system to be able to scan the item and have the correct price ring up differently at different stores unless you are just doing manual price overrides at the register 

sorry about POS I hear that every day so am used to it I work in the IT dept of a medium size retail chain

Hobby Lobby is pretty much old school when it comes to cash registers and inventory systems. The cashiers punch in the department code and price manually, no scanning of bar codes, so it is possible to have stuff marked down in one store and not at the one across town. They punch in the coupon code to manually adjust the price if you present it to them. 

Not sure how they determine what to re-order if they aren't scanning the items at the register unless they walk each aisle and scan the barcodes on the shelf.

Odd to think of such a large retailer without a modern POS system for tracking  sales by item and a replenishment system for inventory fulfillment 

inventory management aside the internet is mostly putting a stop to regional pricing like this. Local advertising is a thing of the past once it hits the web it’s almost global. 

I would stop by. But I would probably end up walking out with a few kits, BUT I really dont need to buy any more just to add to the pile.

I've been concentrating on filling holes in my vintage kits want lists. And that alone keeps the toy fund active

With us planning a move to Arizona this summer. All I will be doing is packing up more and more . So I should probably stay away from HL

Just got back from my HL and they had the sale going on.  We had a few more items on sale than listed above including a Paasche H set for $25 (which I got).  I got several Model Master spray Lacquers at $1.54 a can... They had the Snake and Mongoose Top Fuel cars (like Clay, Chris and John are building in another thread) for $7.49.  I already had the Mongoose one but got another.  I got a second Mongoose Barracuda because they only had one left (wish I would have waited a week to get the other one and I wouldn't have paid $19 for it... might have to take it back but it averages out to $14 a car so that is still a good deal.  They also had Paasche and Badger airbrush needles and accessories on sale and some hobby knife blades.  I also got the AMT Dodge 300 super stock car for $7.49 and a 1/72 Navy fighter plane for $4.49.  They had all the ones and more that I didn't mention that were in the original post.  Even a large custom motorcycle.  I only got the ones I mentioned.

Thanks very much Mike999 for letting us know because I would have missed this sale since I was there last week.

Edited by jchrisf

Happy Happy Joy Joy! My joint had a few--just a few--things on sale, but they included the Porsche 914 I was planning to buy anyway with the coupon for just $7.49! Also got another Yenko '69 Corvette--already have two but for $6.74, the wheels in that kit are worth almost that to me. (I should have bought two!). And a 2018 Mustang snapper for $4.99--wasn't planning to buy this at all, but might be my last chance EVER to buy a brand new model car in a store for $5. Only airplane marked down was the 1/72 Academy F4U-1 Corsair for $4.49--for that price, I can use it for parts. 

Thanks Mike 999 for letting us know--I might have decided not to go to HL this week without the heads-up. B)

Yep Snake that is the plane I got too... sounds like you are familiar with it... is it a good plane for a first timer?

I forgot to mention mine had several Testors/Model Master spray enamels.  I don't like enamel so I only got the lacquer except for a purple can of enamel for a Trojan Horse funny car I have to build.  The enamel spray cans were $1.25.

13 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Yep Snake that is the plane I got too... sounds like you are familiar with it... is it a good plane for a first timer?

I've never built it but the Academy 1/72 WWII airplanes have a pretty good reputation. I have their P-51D and have gripes about its accuracy in a couple areas (I"m a Mustang nut and purist) but I don't recall any particular fit or assembly problems. For 1/72 -1 Corsairs I like the Hasegawa; I have several 1/72 -1 Corsairs and IMHO it's the best (I've never owned the Tamiya, though). I don't think you'll have any trouble with it.

If the 3-color Corsair camo scares you, don't forget you can just paint the thing overall Glossy Sea Blue (a very dark blue with a very slight greeny tint) and call it a late-war -1D model. Great thing about that scheme is the GSB is EVERYWHERE--wheel wells, landing gear, even the wheels themselves in some cases later on. I specialize in 1945-1956 Navy airplanes for this reason--paint jobs just don't get any simpler! B)

No clearance models at my HL

I think i will take the lead from some of the other folks here and try to befriend one of the HL employs and mine for pricing info :wacko:

I did score the coffee table book Muscle cars American icons by auto editors of consumer guide at Sams and the Revell 64 SS Chevy at Mejeirs on clearance.