Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: #4 Mobil 1 Ford Fusion - Kevin Harvick

Turberticus

This is my first NASCAR build in more than 15 years. I last built one when I was new to the hobby and needless to say, it wasn't my best effort. While I'm not a NASCAR builder, I decided to give one of these a try after seeing the Danica glue kit for $9.99 at my local Ollie's. I was also enticed by the various liveries and aftermarket decals that are available for these kits.

A lot of progress has been made so I'll try and list all the major work I've done up to this point.

For the body I used Tamiya white primer, TS-26 white, and Gravity Colors SF70H Ferrari F1 red, followed by a coat of 2K clear from Splash Paints. I used Powerslide decals. I have to admit they're some of the best decals I've ever used, though that's no surprise as they're printed by Cartograf. For the chassis I filled and sanded down the injector pin marks and mold lines, and sprayed it with a mix of Tamiya flat white with sky grey at roughly a 4:1 ratio. For the engine/exhaust and other parts I used various Alclad metallics and Tamiya TS-29 through my airbrush.

With the assistance of Pheeden's Garage's Youtube channel, I cut down the rear springs and shocks, and also cut the ends off the axle to lower the ride height and bring the wheels in. I also cut off the mounting points for the brake discs on the front spindles to bring the wheels in, and plan to adjust the spindles so the front sits a bit lower. I also made a splitter with polystyrene sheet (not attached yet), and plan to add the missing roll bars and possibly the fuel lines as well. I'm also toying with the idea of making a new rear spoiler as the kit comes with the Super Speedway version. 

I'll probably clear over the decals, then paint the black trim on the roof rails and the front window net, which I know is not accurate for the Sonoma car. I also need to assemble the wheels/tires. I hope to have this completed by the weekend.

Apologies for the inconsistent white balance in my photos. I blame my cheap Smartphone... Enjoy!

IMG_20180608_222017277_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180615_224600721_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180615_230025248_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180615_232143101_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180616_224711721_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180620_182413947_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180620_182438570_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180620_182451392_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180622_013201968_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180622_013120699_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180622_013228395_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180622_013249107_HDR-X3.jpg

1 hour ago, jchrisf said:

Great job!  You didn't forget anything after 15 years.  Wish I could find that kit for that price and then I could justify the aftermarket decals.

Thanks! I've built maybe 100 kits over the last 15 years (mainly 1/20 scale F1 and 1/24 scale race cars/sports cars), just no NASCAR kits. With that being said, the skills I've acquired carry over seamlessly to this type of kit. 

58 minutes ago, Turberticus said:

Thanks! I've built maybe 100 kits over the last 15 years (mainly 1/20 scale F1 and 1/24 scale race cars/sports cars), just no NASCAR kits. With that being said, the skills I've acquired carry over seamlessly to this type of kit. 

You''re my kind of builder... All the kind of cars I like.

Started working on the tires. I've never used a flat clear on tire sidewalls before, but I'm happy with how these came out. My bottle of flat clear is 20+ years old but surprisingly it still sprayed beautifully! I managed to smudge the sidewall of the tire on the bottom right, but a few more coats corrected that. I realize the red line on the rims is too thick and slightly out of place. For my next NASCAR build I'll probably buy the additional tire decal sheet from mikesdecals.com. 

IMG_20180623_213523318_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180623_215303061_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20180623_235339545-X3.jpg

Looking great Christopher. Very nice finish on the paint and clear. 

Small tip for you next one, if you paint the insides of the wheel backs silver before pushing the wheel fronts into the tires, the silver will make it look like the rotors are in behind. I paint mine silver then use a bit of Tamiya panel line accent to highlight the ridges on the insides of the wheel backs. Breaks up the black hole that is the wheels some.

13 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Looking great Christopher. Very nice finish on the paint and clear. 

Small tip for you next one, if you paint the insides of the wheel backs silver before pushing the wheel fronts into the tires, the silver will make it look like the rotors are in behind. I paint mine silver then use a bit of Tamiya panel line accent to highlight the ridges on the insides of the wheel backs. Breaks up the black hole that is the wheels some.

Thank you - I will keep this in mind for my next build.