Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '65 GTO

Snake45

Been working on rehabbing a glue bomb AMT '65 GTO and wanted to see what others had done with this kit. Ran a search in this section, and in Under Glass, and then on the whole site--nothing! "No results." Apparently GTO is too small a term for the site search engine to deal with. Thousands of hits on Pontiac but 99+% of them of course have nothing to do with the kit I'm interested in.

Have read a lot of comments here and elsewhere about the emblems are screwed up, and most people recognize that the headlights in the reissues are just wrong, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about the taillights. They're awful! In fact, the whole rear end of the thing is pretty messed up. Gonna see what I can do to fix all that up a little.

So, anyone got pics of completed builds of this kit, or any other ideas or tips about it?

Yea, the front and rear was re-done a couple times. The last time is better than the late '80s redo but still not right. The headlights should be completely inside the fender trim. The rear is a bit better this time too as the "PONTIAC" lettering was too big first redo, it's smaller now. The tail light lenses don't fit at all though.  Mouled in the front of the hood scoop and rescribed the lines around it. They're supposed to be all body color, not with chrome trim like in the kit.

That being said, this one was built from the last issue with photoetch emblems and wipers. Scale Finishes "Tiger Gold" paint and a vinyl roof. If I ever do another one I'll mold the rear of the roof to the tulip panel better. I thought the chrome trim would cover it but it's not 100%. Tires are old redlines from the parts box. I had originally built it with plans to putting it up on e-bay,, may still do that.

IMG 1941

IMG 1942

Kit engine but I added the extra sheetmetal to the fenders to meet the inner fenders and the filler panel between the rad wall the grille header panel.

IMG 1948

Steve you wanted to sell that?? It's gorgeous, I could NEVER part with that! Absolutely beautiful, and you did a really good job blending that top in.

In another thread, someone wondered what top would be best to replicate a 1965 Impala Sport Sedan four door hardtop....................there ya go! ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Yea, the front and rear was re-done a couple times. The last time is better than the late '80s redo but still not right. The headlights should be completely inside the fender trim. The rear is a bit better this time too as the "PONTIAC" lettering was too big first redo, it's smaller now. The tail light lenses don't fit at all though.  Mouled in the front of the hood scoop and rescribed the lines around it. They're supposed to be all body color, not with chrome trim like in the kit.

That being said, this one was built from the last issue with photoetch emblems and wipers. Scale Finishes "Tiger Gold" paint and a vinyl roof. If I ever do another one I'll mold the rear of the roof to the tulip panel better. I thought the chrome trim would cover it but it's not 100%. Tires are old redlines from the parts box. I had originally built it with plans to putting it up on e-bay,, may still do that.

IMG 1942

Kit engine but I added the extra sheetmetal to the fenders to meet the inner fenders and the filler panel between the rad wall the grille header panel.

Very nice job on the old backbirth! B) Your taillights and rear bumper & panel look exactly like the one I'm working on. I'm trying to fix up that whole area so it's at least a little closer looking. 

Boy, we really NEED a new kit of this car, don't we? And I'm not even that big a fan of it....:wacko:

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

In another thread, someone wondered what top would be best to replicate a 1965 Impala Sport Sedan four door hardtop....................there ya go! ;)

Dunno about using it for a '65 Impala 4-door, but that's the top that SHOULD be on the Revell '65 Chevelle and the Polar Lights '64 GTO. I have an otherwise nice diecast '65 GTO that could use it, too. 

AMT got that top right on their original annual '64 Cutlass and '64-'65 Chevelles and GTOs...and no one else has gotten it right since. Sigh. 

Edited by Snake45

Here's what I mean about the taillights. These aren't glued in badly, as it might look--they're glued in exactly where they're supposed to go, there's just a big gap all the way around them. I've now re-glued them solid, and have been filling the gap with Elmer's Carpententer's Sandable Glue, several applications over a few evenings. I'll be sanding the lenses and bezels together to a better shape, and then finishing the appearance with Stop Light Red paint and foil or Molotow or Silver Sharpie, or something. Whatever works. I even have an idea involving some ruby-red cellophane I carefully saved from some Valentine candy. We'll see what happens....:unsure:

65GTOBlack09.jpg.0ba33ca25fa89e6c959aff3c13df3cd9.jpg

I think the original builder may have installed the tail light lenses upside down and on the wrong side. If they are easily removable you might try switching them around and see if that doesn't improve their fit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, espo said:

I think the original builder may have installed the tail light lenses upside down and on the wrong side. If they are easily removable you might try switching them around and see if that doesn't improve their fit.

No, although I do have another glue bomb (unpainted) where they were installed exactly backward, just as you describe. I was able to pry those out, but hadn't reinstalled them so hadn't noticed how bad a fit they were. 

Both that glue bomb and this one are the '80s reissue, molded in tan, and I have an unbuilt one of those, too. This one I'm kinda doing for practice to see what what the other two would need to be built "right."

Were the taillights on this kit ALWAYS this bad? How about on the original promos? Anyone have pics of the rear end of a first-issue kit or a promo? 

21 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

No, although I do have another glue bomb (unpainted) where they were installed exactly backward, just as you describe. I was able to pry those out, but hadn't reinstalled them so hadn't noticed how bad a fit they were. 

Both that glue bomb and this one are the '80s reissue, molded in tan, and I have an unbuilt one of those, too. This one I'm kinda doing for practice to see what what the other two would need to be built "right."

Were the taillights on this kit ALWAYS this bad? How about on the original promos? Anyone have pics of the rear end of a first-issue kit or a promo? 

I have one on the shelf that I built when this kit was first released. The Tail Lights fit perfectly and the kit is really very nice considering the technology of the day. I'm surprised by the problems you and others are having with your rebuilds, but as the molds age and are not cared for I guess this what we are all left with. Wish I could be of more help.

32 minutes ago, espo said:

I have one on the shelf that I built when this kit was first released. The Tail Lights fit perfectly and the kit is really very nice considering the technology of the day. I'm surprised by the problems you and others are having with your rebuilds, but as the molds age and are not cared for I guess this what we are all left with. Wish I could be of more help.

Remember the original molds were hacked into a dirt track race car sometime in the '70s. Then is was "restored" in the '80s but not very well and then "restored" again in the '90s but still not back to 100%.  

The tail light lenses are really bad. To the point I had considered making a set from sheet plastic but I couldn't get the tiny chrome strips in to my satisfaction.  They're not the same thickness all the way through, they get thinner at the back so they leave a noticeable gap when installed. I have an earlier rear bumper from before it was made into a race car and the lenses fit as poorly in that as they do the current part.

One thing to remember is the chrome on the lenses of a GTO pretty well hide the red of the lens.  I think this is one case where if AMT has of molded the lens in with the rest of the part  it would have been better than a separate part.

Image result for 65 gto rear

The strait red lenses were on the Tempests and lower level cars. Not really right for a GTO

Image result for 65 tempest rear

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Remember the original molds were hacked into a dirt track race car sometime in the '70s. Then is was "restored" in the '80s but not very well and then "restored" again in the '90s but still not back to 100%.  

The tail light lenses are really bad. To the point I had considered making a set from sheet plastic but I couldn't get the tiny chrome strips in to my satisfaction.  They're not the same thickness all the way through, they get thinner at the back so they leave a noticeable gap when installed. I have an earlier rear bumper from before it was made into a race car and the lenses fit as poorly in that as they do the current part.

One thing to remember is the chrome on the lenses of a GTO pretty well hide the red of the lens.  I think this is one case where if AMT has of molded the lens in with the rest of the part  it would have been better than a separate part.

Image result for 65 gto rear

The strait red lenses were on the Tempests and lower level cars. Not really right for a GTO

Image result for 65 tempest rear

FABULOUS post, thanks so much, and especially for the GREAT pic of the real rear end. Saves me having to google one up. The black strip surrounding the lenses themselves is something I'd forgotten. 

Agree with you completely that AMT would have been better off in this case to just mold the taillights right into the bumper. 

I'm probably going to leave my whole lenses red, like a Tempest/LeMans, and not worry about the chrome trim on them. This build will be as a '70s street bomber, not a factory stock original, so it's not unreasonable that the lenses could have been replaced with more common items from a junkyard. Or maybe the whole car was "converted" from a Tempest and that was just one little detail they overlooked. B)

Thanks again for the post and pics! 

2 hours ago, espo said:

Modelhaus might have reproed the rear bumper and taillights, but I didn't know they were so badly needed so I didn't order any. I did get at least one of their repro promo front bumper/headlights. I'm contemplating using that on this build, at least temporarily until I get around to building a good one. As our President often says, "We'll see what happens." B)

Modelhaus did repop the original bumpers (they pretty much did bumpers for every annual kit!), but I recall there being a notation about the early (pre-Modified Stocker) rear bumper not being a good fit on the "repaired" kit.  AMT did a number on the GTO in creating the Modified Stocker; so much was changed that Ertl had to tool an entirely new interior bucket and chassis also.  This was one of their earliest efforts, so it didn't come out nearly as good as their later work like, say, the '66 Nova kit.

Here's the rear end of the cheap Welly diecast. They got hella closer to the real shape than AMT/ERTL did, wouldn't you say? Too bad it's very slightly undersized--I think it might be 1/26. 

The front end/headlights are way better than the AMT reissues, too. Only thing wrong with this thing is they stuffed up the shape of the roof, much the same way Polar Lights did with the '64 GTO.  I wonder if that can be fixed? 

65GTODC007.jpg.9ec1f82f61265be0de99611a8a917dd5.jpg

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Here's the rear end of the cheap Welly diecast. They got hella closer to the real shape than AMT/ERTL did, wouldn't you say? Too bad it's very slightly undersized--I think it might be 1/26. 

The front end/headlights are way better than the AMT reissues, too. Only thing wrong with this thing is they stuffed up the shape of the roof, much the same way Polar Lights did with the '64 GTO.  I wonder if that can be fixed? 

65GTODC007.jpg.9ec1f82f61265be0de99611a8a917dd5.jpg

I bought a Welly also.Rear treatment is nicer

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:56 PM, Snake45 said:

Here's what I mean about the taillights. These aren't glued in badly, as it might look--they're glued in exactly where they're supposed to go, there's just a big gap all the way around them. I've now re-glued them solid, and have been filling the gap with Elmer's Carpententer's Sandable Glue, several applications over a few evenings. I'll be sanding the lenses and bezels together to a better shape, and then finishing the appearance with Stop Light Red paint and foil or Molotow or Silver Sharpie, or something. Whatever works. I even have an idea involving some ruby-red cellophane I carefully saved from some Valentine candy. We'll see what happens....:unsure:

65GTOBlack09.jpg.0ba33ca25fa89e6c959aff3c13df3cd9.jpg

Unfortunately, these tail lights are flat with no chrome pattern

On 6/22/2018 at 2:17 PM, Snake45 said:

Been working on rehabbing a glue bomb AMT '65 GTO and wanted to see what others had done with this kit. Ran a search in this section, and in Under Glass, and then on the whole site--nothing! "No results."

Even the Google search method, as the pinned post in the Q&A section details, turned up only one legit hit:

Maybe this kit is JUST THAT BAD. :blink:

This is a hard one to nail in scale. The AMT 65 GTO has so many foibles. I have a couple from the original pressing. An Annual and a Tiger Box. One of these days I may give it a whirl. I have a lot of projects  inline, so it will be a long time. I'm leaving it to you Steve.

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

Even the Google search method, as the pinned post in the Q&A section details, turned up only one legit hit:

Maybe this kit is JUST THAT BAD. :blink:

No, I think the search engine here doesn't recognize a term as short as GTO. I know some searches require at least four or maybe five letters. I didn't get ANY hits for ANY year GTO of any kind!