[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Greg Myers

Restoring an AMT Promo 1960 El Camino, need tail lights.

I'm thinking 1960 Chevrolet or '63 - '64 should work.

I;ve got everything but the tail lights.

I was thinking about kit bashing this with an AMT '59 El Camino but there is too much going on to make it feasible.

The inner fender wells are part of the chassi on the promo and part of the body on the '59.

The pick up bed is part of the body on the promo and separate on the '59.

6 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

I'm thinking 1960 Chevrolet or '63 - '64 should work.

I;ve got everything but the tail lights.

I was thinking about kit bashing this with an AMT '59 El Camino but there is too much going on to make it feasible.

The inner fender wells are part of the chassi on the promo and part of the body on the '59.

The pick up bed is part of the body on the promo and separate on the '59.

I did that conversion. What I did was cut the 59 at the outside of the bead around the top of the bed, all the way around, including the edge around the roof. All the way to the cowl vent area. Then I cut away the bed (roof was already gone) from the 60 and grafted the 59 bed and roof in its place. I even cut the tailgate to open, using the inner part from the 59 tailgate to hinge it.

If you do this, the entire chassis, engine and interior from the 59 will assemble right into the 60 as if it was a full detail kit.

The only part I didn't like is the front grill looks too small and squat, so I never finished it.

Interested in an old glue bomb convert??   You could copy the tail lights....missing steering wheel, boot, split windshield frame....besides the rashes from custom parts.....not shaved, just needs love.   I'm open to trades.

0622182259b.jpg

0622182259.jpg

0622182258.jpg

Thanks for the offer Kevin. That has the delux Impala six tail light set up. I'm looking for the cheaper four set up.

Some great ideas Patrick, just looked like too much work for me. 

Judging by the photos, I don't think the 63, 64 taillights are correct, but the tips from any number of custom bullet taillights could be made to work. 

How about the custom bullets from the AMT 49 Mercury, or the ones from the Monogram 59 Cadillac?

Duh, what about the Revell 60 Impala? They're clear red and they're separate. I completely forgot about that one!

Thanks for the offer Kevin.

3 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Duh, what about the Revell 60 Impala? They're clear red and they're separate. I completely forgot about that one!

That has the delux Impala six tail light set up.

Posted (edited)

All of the Chevrolet '60 -'61 tail lights interchange. I had a 1:1 '60 El Camino.:)

the others '63-'64  would work with different lens

Edited by Greg Myers

Thanks for reminding me as I had started restoring a '60 El Camino awhile back and sorta forgot about it. Hopefully some day I'll finish it?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Thanks for the offer Kevin.

That has the delux Impala six tail light set up.

Why not just cut four bezels out of the Impala rear trim panels and insert them into the El Camino openings, then add the red lenses?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

The krux of kit bashing, now what do you do with what's left of that great '60 Impala kit ?:huh:

The Lindberg 61 has separate lenses and chrome bezels, you can use only what you need.

P M sent

Got the tail lights Larry, Thanks a bunch.^_^ Off to the bench.

Hello moderators, delete this thread.