Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stop resurrecting once great nameplates

HomerS

Remarkable piece of styling. Looks like it's already been wrecked several times, and the doors all caved in.

How totally hip and with it.

I guess it's yawn-inspiring stuff like this that they pay GM's CEO Mary Barra $28 million per year to sign off on.

Image result for barfing smiley

EDIT: I actually like some styling elements of the thing. like the hood, but somewhere along the line, what could have been a striking, clean design just went off the rails, and became the typical committee-drawn me-too me-too mashup of tired cliches.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I don't care for it at all. Looks like 3 people took turns styling it. Just my opinion. I don't see Blazer when I see that thing but the name could be a draw I guess. Is it just me or does the front end of almost everything now look weird ?

29 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Is it just me or does the front end of almost everything now look weird ?

It's not just you, but I think it's an improvement over the 15 years or so where EVERY SINGLE CAR you saw on the road was "smiling" at you.  How I've come to hate that look. 

It's definitely not the first time an auto company has desecrated the name of a formerly respected model.  Here are three that immediately came to mind:

t1.jpg.cf58f87e1b7b5c6311a0c87b528c685b.jpg

1980 Dodge Challenger

t2.jpg.8dcbc604c49e5fe1163f97064e048c44.jpg

1977 Mustang Cobra

t3.jpg.7a9e8aaf5d565d90abba423998a48a41.jpg

1991 Olds 442

Edited by Monty

42 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

It's not just you, but I think it's an improvement over the 15 years or so where EVERY SINGLE CAR you saw on the road was "smiling" at you.  How I've come to hate that look. 

Yup.

t4.jpg.bbb625d5a0a3d38bf683e8b1202d54f1.jpg

The first time I saw one of these, I thought "That should have a Fisher Price sticker on it somewhere."

t5.jpg.45743f5d5945b4055dc73442e35665ac.jpg

Edited by Monty

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yup.

t4.jpg.bbb625d5a0a3d38bf683e8b1202d54f1.jpg

The first time I saw one of these, I thought "That should have a Fisher Price sticker on it somewhere."

The Mazdas always reminded of that goofy spaceship with the stoner pilots in Heavy Metal.

Looks just like all the other Dog Ugly what ever you call its running around. Can't tell one from the other. No, GM in it's infinite wisdom is going to call this a Blazer ? If they want to call something a Blazer then make it a Blazer based off of the C or K 10 chassis and body and only as a two door, just like a real Blazer was. A four door version would be a Suburban. If this is such a "Newest" "Latest" or "Greatest" then give it an appropriate new name, but not Blazer.    

8 hours ago, Monty said:

It's definitely not the first time an auto company has desecrated the name of a formerly respected model.  Here are three that immediately came to mind:

t1.jpg.cf58f87e1b7b5c6311a0c87b528c685b.jpg

1980 Dodge Challenger

t2.jpg.8dcbc604c49e5fe1163f97064e048c44.jpg

1977 Mustang Cobra

t3.jpg.7a9e8aaf5d565d90abba423998a48a41.jpg

1991 Olds 442

I agree except the MustangII. Body wise I always liked it and felt it was closer in concept to the original that what it morphed into in 73. Where it fell short unfortunately we're the mechanicals. I kinda Ike that new Blzer but it's a sub, not a truck. Don't call it a Blazer Chevy, name it something else. I never felt the Charger should have been called that either. Maybe Coronet. Not Charger.

Edited by Classicgas

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

I agree except the MustangII. Body wise I always liked it and felt it was closer in concept to the original that what it morphed into in 73. Where it fell short unfortunately we're the mechanicals. 

Agree with you completely. The deal-killer was the 13" 4-bolt wheels. If they'd designed it with normal 14" 5-bolts, it would have looked hella better--and probably been much better accepted. 

15 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Agree with you completely. The deal-killer was the 13" 4-bolt wheels. If they'd designed it with normal 14" 5-bolts, it would have looked hella better--and probably been much better accepted. 

I just thought of it as a Pinto in drag.

I'd personally much rather have a hot-rodded Pinto than a Pinto pretending to be a Mustang.

This fake 911 on a VW pan is about the same thing, far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have a Bug.

Evolutionary Detour: Beetle-Based Porsche 911 Replica

Of course, I'm not much of a fan of grapefruit-sized phony appliances stuck on women, either...but much of the world seems to like them just fine.

About the above mentioned Ford Mustang II. I knew a young lady who bought one of these new and it was the 4 Cyl. 4 speed. I even drove it a couple of times. It was more Pinto than any Mustang. Also had an occasion to drive a very clean 302 Auto. car, I thought it was a 6 cyl. at best. Sorry Ford guys but this should never have had the Mustang name associated with it. That '80 Challenger should never have happened also. The 442 Oldsmobile ? Well lets just say GM really lost their way and that is one of the reasons Oldsmobile went away. These companies were trying to sell junk with big markups based on an established name recognition and all they did was give up their market share to all the imports that were trying hard to win your purchasing dollars. Fear not, those responsible for this were richly rewarded and the people trying to make the product got laid off.    

2 hours ago, espo said:

About the above mentioned Ford Mustang II. I knew a young lady who bought one of these new and it was the 4 Cyl. 4 speed. I even drove it a couple of times. It was more Pinto than any Mustang. Also had an occasion to drive a very clean 302 Auto. car, I thought it was a 6 cyl. at best.    

I don't doubt you. I had a '79 302 auto (Pace Car) and it was pathetically anemic. And its vaunted Michelin TRX tires were great on a sunny day but made rain feel like snow and snow completely undrivable. When it got wrecked, I replaced it with a used '76 Buick Skyhawk with V6/5-speed and that little mutt had a LOT more pep than the '79 302 Mustang.

That Blazer is actually not a bad looking vehicle considering the type of vehicle it is. While I'd not rush out and buy one, I think it looks rather aggressive and probably more so in public.

I truly hated when they brought back the Impala name in 2000 and stuck it something that was really milquetoast at best! A once proud name stuck on a rather bland and anonymous car. At least they could have put six taillights on the car.............it had only four. Wouldn't that make it a Bel Air or Biscayne?? :D

They could have at least done as Jeep did with the current Cherokee and Renegade and made an off road capable vehicle of their station wagons.

Cherokee-Trailhawk.jpg

Trailhawk.jpg

They could have at least developed a Z71 off road version of the platform, if Jeep and Land Rover/Range Rover can build off road station wagons, no reason GM, with a much bigger warchest to work with, can't.

18 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

...They could have at least developed a Z71 off road version of the platform, if Jeep and Land Rover/Range Rover can build off road station wagons, no reason GM, with a much bigger warchest to work with, can't.

Yeah, but that would be real performance. GM's own blurb uses the phrase "performance-inspired" to describe the thing. 

When a company is paying a do-nothing exec $28 million a year, and is going to possibly have to cough up as much as $10 BILLION to settle that little ignition switch fiasco, well, those just might be indications that their judgement is a little clouded.

11 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

When a company is paying a do-nothing exec $28 million a year, and is going to possibly have to cough up as much as $10 BILLION to settle that little ignition switch fiasco, well, those just might be indications that their judgement is a little clouded.

A little off subject, but I complained LOUDLY about that ignition switch issue when I had my Saturn six months after I bought it in 2006. One morning (a very cold morning), I'm getting off work and I tried starting the car. It ran for about 15 seconds and then shut off as if someone turned the key and shut it off. Everything else was working in the car----radio, lights, horn, etc. But the car wouldn't even as much as turn over. After 15 minutes the car started up as if nothing was wrong. :huh:

This happened several times in a period of three weeks and to make a long story short, after a couple of "fixes" including having a new battery put in, the problem persisted which had me looking online to see if anyone else was having the same problem.

Well wouldn't you know I ran across a whole slew of people that were having the exact same problem with their Saturns and all models (I had the Quadcoupe). Seems as though wherever this switch was manufactured, there was too heavy an oil used in the tumbler, and whenever you had bitter cold temps and tried to start the car, the switch was not making full contact. This dropped an error code on the BCM which triggered the system to shut the fuel pump down making the car impossible to start. That was GM's "anti theft" device kicking in, and after 15 minutes the system would reset itself and the car would start with no trouble.

Well, I found out from the dealer that there was a TSB on the switches and they were replacing them (remember this was 2006), but there was no official recall of the cars with that defect. I had asked why not as it IS a safety issue when it's 10° in the middle of nowhere and the car won't start! I had also mentioned that the faulty switch could lead to other troubles (not knowing about the airbag issue at the time).

Well, fast forward a bunch of years and wouldn't you know.............people are getting killed due to "faulty" switches and the airbags not going off.

Real competent huh??

3 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

...They could have at least developed a Z71 off road version of the platform, if Jeep and Land Rover/Range Rover can build off road station wagons, no reason GM, with a much bigger warchest to work with, can't.

And to continue the thought, the androgynous millennials that their marketing would seem to indicate is the preferred customer-base probably never heard of a Blazer before now, and they most likely would have no use for real 4WD that could take them out of the neighborhood of the gluten-free artisan-milled rice bread and free-range organic kale and soy-everything-else they seem to subsist on.

All the computer-controlled-4WD mommy vans here end up upside down in ditches every time it snows 1/4" anyway, so what's the point, really?

51 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And to continue the thought, the androgynous millennials that their marketing would seem to indicate is the preferred customer-base probably never heard of a Blazer before now, and they most likely would have no use for real 4WD that could take them out of the neighborhood of the gluten-free artisan-milled rice bread and free-range organic kale and soy-everything-else they seem to subsist on.

All the computer-controlled-4WD mommy vans here end up upside down in ditches every time it snows 1/4" anyway, so what's the point, really?

This gave me a good chuckle! :)