Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stop resurrecting once great nameplates

HomerS

On 7/5/2018 at 3:28 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

And to me this is what I think of when I think "Blazer". Tough, simple, goes anywhere (and you can fix it out in the middle of nowhere).

These, and other similar vehicles were constructed with the ability to level forests and destroy mountains and merely dust off any post-destruction residue off the hood, not to be babied like the present day blobular, cookie cutter fashion accessories known as SUV's. Today's excuses for utility vehicles don't even meet the minimum MIL-SPEC's for durability and ease of maintenance as Blazers and Dodge Rams once did.

You're right. The Blazers/Broncos/SUVs of old were a lot stronger and tougher, and could do what was asked of them without hesitation.

But...as i said earlier, they were designed for the times. Truck owners wanted more utility from their vehicles, so the manufacturers took the existing truck platforms, changed the wheelbases, slapped a full roof on it, and boom; the SUV was born.

And it's the exact same thing these days. People are asking for their vehicles to do certain things, and the manufacturers are responding. And this new Blazer is the result.

We shouldn't be complaining about the vehicle, we should be complaining about how soft society has become!

As an aside, I still like a real SUV. One with capability.

20180630_132033.jpg

20180630_133408.jpg