Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pile of Pontiacs

Ben269

I have been in a Pontiac mood lately, and picked up a few kits.  I have had the 70 GTO for a few years, bought it built up for $5.  I picked up a Hurst Olds for the chassis, tires, auto shifter, and spoiler, but the spoiler doesn't actually look like one for a Judge, so I will probably try and scratch build one that looks right.  I picked up the 68 Firebird for the engine, and have a build plan for that car as well.   

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

# real ones for me. '67 Firebird--400, 4 speed---convertible-----------'69 Bonneville--428, automatic---4 door---------'79 Trans Am--6.6(403 Olds),automatic.

Sadly, all three were POS, but I bought them as used cars, so no telling what they went thru. I know the T?A was wicked fast!!

9 hours ago, Ben269 said:

I have been in a Pontiac mood lately, and picked up a few kits.  I have had the 70 GTO for a few years, bought it built up for $5.  I picked up a Hurst Olds for the chassis, tires, auto shifter, and spoiler, but the spoiler doesn't actually look like one for a Judge, so I will probably try and scratch build one that looks right.  I picked up the 68 Firebird for the engine, and have a build plan for that car as well.   

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

That OHC 6 looks great! I have a first-issue MPC '69 Firebird I started in 1969 that I'm planning to finish with the 6. Thanks for the inspiration! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Interior is started.  Does anyone know what the exhaust on a 6 cyl looks like?  Are they dual tips or single?  I can't find any pictures of the underside of these cars.  Are the chassis black?   Overspray?  I can't believe how few pics I could find.  

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

Edited by Ben269

15 hours ago, Ben269 said:

Interior is started.  Does anyone know what the exhaust on a 6 cyl looks like?  Are they dual tips or single?  I can't find any pictures of the underside of these cars.  Are the chassis black?   Overspray?  I can't believe how few pics I could find.  

I'd assume Firebird undersides were similar/identical to Camaro: medium/dark gray primer with body color overspray along the edges, and semigloss black front subframe.

I'll see if I can find anything out about OHC6 exhaust. I have '67-'69 showroom literature, maybe it's mentioned in there somewhere.

we owned some great Pontiacs over the years too....I need to make replicas of them sometime.   Nice work..!  My family owned...

63,64,66,67,68,69 Bonnevilles

69,70,71,72 Grand Prixs

70,73,74 GTOs

75,83 Trans Ams

76? Can AM and Grand Am

64,68,70,72 Safari wagons

53 Chieftain 2 door sedan

63 Tempest

I am attempting to make the correct hood by combining the two in the kit.   Its getting better, but its not quite seamless yet.  The Ram Air hood that I cut the center out of has a less prominent, or lower, seam in the middle, so there is some inconsistency there.  I may just knock down the seam on the front portion to make it even.  not sure yet.

IMG_7213.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_5285.JPG

Edited by Ben269

The interior on this car is so nice, that I decided it should be a convertible.  I am using the 69 Camaro convertible for the parts.  Here goes.  

Does anyone know how to re-enforce this windshield frame?  I'm worried it won't be very stable.   I am thinking maybe some stiff wire on the backside?  Who has done type of modification?

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

8 hours ago, Ben269 said:

The interior on this car is so nice, that I decided it should be a convertible.  I am using the 69 Camaro convertible for the parts.  Here goes.  

Does anyone know how to re-enforce this windshield frame?  I'm worried it won't be very stable.   I am thinking maybe some stiff wire on the backside?  Who has done type of modification?

Try this. I recently used this technique to fix a broken '59 Corvette windshield frame, and will be fixing an original AMT Sunbeam Alpine the same way very soon. BTW, I used newspaper for the Vette and it worked fine. It's even stronger than it was before the break.

If your hood is still not to your liking consider something I have done in the past. First the hood should be sanded smooth with little or no sign of the raised ridge. Second, glue a strip of Plastruct half round in the desired diameter to the hood. You would need little if any body filler if it is glued down perfectly flat. Next just a very light sanding and then primer. The primer should fill any parting line, and again light sanding until you get the desired look. Then prime and paint the finish color. Hope this will help.  

The MPC Firebird kit that gave up the OHC six engine will have a one-piece single exhaust included with it.  The piece probably won't fit the Revell kit as-is, but it should give you a good idea of what the stock exhaust looks like.