Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevelle 2nd Time Around

bugman9317

1 hour ago, James2 said:

I know exactly what you mean, non-toy like. Looks great.

Have you ever not used the dehydrator?

Yes, I have let them air dry without the dehydrator, but I let them sit for a week before I touched them just to make sure... I read on here that it took a few days to dry fully, so I figured I would make sure I gave it enough time.

I'm amazed that the 1/25 Snapper hood fit the 1/24 kit body so well. I'd have thought it would be too small. 

Actually, after cutting out the Snapper's hood, I'd have gone ahead and just put a good chassis under it and full-detailed the thing. The Revell Snapper body is much more accurate than the old Monogram Chevelle's. (Ron Hamilton might disagree with me, but that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it. B))

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'm amazed that the 1/25 Snapper hood fit the 1/24 kit body so well. I'd have thought it would be too small. 

Actually, after cutting out the Snapper's hood, I'd have gone ahead and just put a good chassis under it and full-detailed the thing. The Revell Snapper body is much more accurate than the old Monogram Chevelle's. (Ron Hamilton might disagree with me, but that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it. B))

Honestly, I didn't even look at the snappers chassis. I had a one track mind in that moment just thinking about the hood. I am not at the point of no return so I am going to check it out and look at the detail.. Your right, the one that is in the kit has no detail..

• 3 weeks later...

I had a little bit of free time over this weekend so I decided to get the body sprayed. I also decided that since I am doing the project I am going to make two of them. One to replicate the original one I built and then one represents how I would want one. The first one is the factory Cranberry Red color and the second is a Dark Blue Metallic. Once they get polished up I don't think they will look too bad.

SAM 2311

SAM 2308

SAM 2313

SAM 2314

As I found out, the biggest thing is just making sure I take my time doing it. I am sure practice make perfect, and the more I do the better I`ll get. I didn't have any BMF, I used regular aluminum foil tape that I had left over from doing my basement duct work. I think I like it better because it is only $6.00 a roll and I think it sticks better. 

Edited by bugman9317