Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevelle 2nd Time Around

bugman9317

I really want to start out by thanking everyone on the forum. I got back into modeling about 1 1/2 years ago after taking a 30 year break.. This forum have been such a great help that I can't imagine what my models would have turned out like. When I first started back my first model was the 1970 Jack Reacher Chevelle and it did not turn out well at all. When I dig it out I will post pictures even though it looks like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. My next build I though it would be fun to build another 1970 Chevelle just to see the difference in my abilities. I was going to do another Jack Reacher kit, but I realized it wasn't the most detailed kit out there. I decided to give the Revell Baldwin Motion Chevelle a try. 

SAM 2265

I realized that the hood was different than the AMT kit and I wanted it to be the same as the original Chevelle I built. After realizing that I could not find any replacement hoods online, I thought I would try cutting the hood out of a Revell snap kit that I had.

SAM 2266

With a little patience, I was able to scribe out the hood from the snap kit. After sanding a little bit the hood doesn't fit too bad. With a little more work it should give a good fit.

SAM 2267

Today I got the engine together and a few parts chromed..  I'll post the progress as I get the time..

SAM 2271

I got some work done on the engine this weekend. It is all wired up and drilled out for coolant and heater hoses. I am going for a used looked so I airbrushed it with a little Tamiya Smoke. I got a little too much smoke on it, but just like they say " Once you go black, or maybe thats for something else"  I have 400 Watts of light over my paint booth so it looked a lot lighter when I was spraying.

SAM 2272

SAM 2274

SAM 2278

SAM 2273

Edited by bugman9317

The Monogram kit is 1/24, been around since forever. A few years back Revell improved on it by retooling the interior into seperate door panels and other parts that were molded in. Other improvements were decals, headers, and intake.

The Amt 70 is 1/25 scale... slightly smaller. I'd say it's the more desired of the two to build. Both kits have issues but I like them equally.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about the one you built when you first got back into it. Oddly enough it's not like riding a bicycle... to me anyways. Lol. I see some vast improvement from the two, sometimes it's all about what materials you use too. 

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

The Monogram kit is 1/24, been around since forever. A few years back Revell improved on it by retooling the interior into seperate door panels and other parts that were molded in. Other improvements were decals, headers, and intake.

The Amt 70 is 1/25 scale... slightly smaller. I'd say it's the more desired of the two to build. Both kits have issues but I like them equally.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about the one you built when you first got back into it. Oddly enough it's not like riding a bicycle... to me anyways. Lol. I see some vast improvement from the two, sometimes it's all about what materials you use too. 

Your right, I thought when I got back into it that it would be like I never left.. Man was I wrong.. The materials help too. I was just using basic supplies from the craft store. I did realize there were so many different supplies out there. When I was a kid, I barely had the money for the kit... lol

The hobby can be very expensive, alot of people don't realize that. 30+ years ago when I first started building, you bought the kit, paint, and glue... maybe two kits if you wanted to do some "Parts Swapping". I remember being at K-mart when I was 10 debating what wheels would look good on which kits. I worked on a Turkey farm for $4 an hour and that's mostly what I spent my money on. With all the aftermarket and resin companies, it's great to be a modeler now and with the internet there's no limit to what you can have if you're willing to spend the money. I'm just an adult kid... my wife says, lol!

Basically the 72 Amt Chevelle is the same as the 70. I turned this one into a 71 Heavy Chevy about 20 years ago using aftermarket decals and baremetal foil. The goal was to build something that didn't exsist in the modelcar world. #1 a 71 Chevelle and #2 with the Heavy Chevy option. I used alot of ideas form my youth Ex: thread for plugwires... lol... I see a difference in my builds now compared to 20 years ago and I look at them now and then for a good laugh...

Screenshot_20180626-230625.jpg

Screenshot_20180626-230610.png

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, James2 said:

A little bit of work! That interior looks pretty nice from OHIO...

What did you use for your chrome?

I have been using the Molotow Marker refills and using it in an airbrush. On the console I used just the marker, but you can see some of the marker lines. When you airbrush with the Molotow it lays down really nice. The biggest thing to remember is you need to spray heavy and not a mist like Alclad. When you mist it on it ends up looking like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

11 hours ago, bugman9317 said:

I have been using the Molotow Marker refills and using it in an airbrush. On the console I used just the marker, but you can see some of the marker lines. When you airbrush with the Molotow it lays down really nice. The biggest thing to remember is you need to spray heavy and not a mist like Alclad. When you mist it on it ends up looking like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

When you spray Molotow do you thin it at all or straight from the refill?

41 minutes ago, fordf-100 said:

When you spray Molotow do you thin it at all or straight from the refill?

I just use it straight out of the bottle, and then clean the AB with thinner after use. I'll post the bumpers when I get them finished. Like with anything, as long as the piece is smooth it will lay down nice and almost self level. If you mist coat it, it ends up almost grainy. When you lay it down do it just like your wet coat when painting the body and then let it sit for a few days. I have a dehydrator that I will put the pieces in for a day or two just to make sure they are dry.

All of the chrome on the engine is Molotow except it lost its shine because I shot Smoke over top of it.

3 hours ago, bugman9317 said:

I just use it straight out of the bottle, and then clean the AB with thinner after use. I'll post the bumpers when I get them finished. Like with anything, as long as the piece is smooth it will lay down nice and almost self level. If you mist coat it, it ends up almost grainy. When you lay it down do it just like your wet coat when painting the body and then let it sit for a few days. I have a dehydrator that I will put the pieces in for a day or two just to make sure they are dry.

All of the chrome on the engine is Molotow except it lost its shine because I shot Smoke over top of it.

Thanks for the info! I sprayed some bumpers a couple weeks ago but I thinned it with alcohol, it looked nice but had a few and flowed out well. I did use a heavier coat.

I let it set for about a week then tried to clear it with spaz stix clear and it dulled it down to silver immediatly, do you use any protective finish on your bumpers? I was going to try clear enamel next! Your interior looks fantastic! Super nice detailing! Also if your ever interested we have a club that meets once a month on the second Monday of the month in the south hills and our annual

contest and swap meet will be in September at the Castle Shannon fire hallI will be posting more info in the clubs/contest sections. I can also mail you a show flyer, if interested PM me your address! 

8 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Thanks for the info! I sprayed some bumpers a couple weeks ago but I thinned it with alcohol, it looked nice but had a few and flowed out well. I did use a heavier coat.

I let it set for about a week then tried to clear it with spaz stix clear and it dulled it down to silver immediatly, do you use any protective finish on your bumpers? I was going to try clear enamel next! Your interior looks fantastic! Super nice detailing! Also if your ever interested we have a club that meets once a month on the second Monday of the month in the south hills and our annual

contest and swap meet will be in September at the Castle Shannon fire hallI will be posting more info in the clubs/contest sections. I can also mail you a show flyer, if interested PM me your address! 

Thanks, I have never used any clear coat on top of the Molotow because I found out the hard way with Alclad that it would dull the finish. I have some MM high gloss enamel that I will try a test piece with and see if it dulls. I sent you a message about the meeting. I can be down there in 40 minutes or so..

I got my bottle off Amazon. Scale Hobbiest has it for a buck or two cheaper if you are already making an order, but this one includes free shipping..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR2KER3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...