Model Cars Magazine Forum

It took Round 2 awhile to counter Revell's Model A roadster with a reissue of there AMT version

Wouldn't you think they could make some hay while the sun's shinning ? 

With Revell pulling back and Hobbico going out, it would seem like now would be the time for Round 2 to step up to the plate.

Fill the void, so to speak.

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

You're missing the point.

Revell was slow on the draw releasing their Model A roadster and AMT/ Round2 already had the molds from their Ala Kart / '29 Roadster they could have beat them to market with,

or at least reap the benefits of all the hoop la and present their roadster as an alternative in the market place, garnering them a piece of the pie.

^_^

1272399355_fee8723faa_z.jpg

amt-3in1-1929-model-ford-roadster-ala_1_b2919e192810a1c1109cad1ed7fd803d.jpg

AlaKartIntructions01-vi.jpg

s-l300.jpg

3 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

You're missing the point.

Revell was slow on the draw releasing their Model A roadster and AMT/ Round2 already had the molds from their Ala Kart / '29 Roadster they could have beat them to market with,

or at least reap the benefits of all the hoop la and present their roadster as an alternative in the market place, garnering them a piece of the pie.

^_^

It's been reissued 2 years ago and is still available now, what more could they do?

This kit is still currently available. I don't see the point of this thread.   There have already been countless threads about this kit, the Revell 29 and 30,  and similar kits.  Nothing new here...must be a slow Sunday...

And as far as 'Round 2taking a while to counter Revell..' , well, that is nonsense--the Revell '29 came out in 2015, the AMT in 2016...

Edited by Rob Hall

It ( the AMT Roadster) was just an example of what they, (Round 2) have done .

yes, they reissued it in the past, and could do again ( NO not reissue the roadster again) something else, ( insert tooling not seen in awhile )

They(Round2) could reissue something else we may be interested in, 

taking advantage of NOTHING coming from Revell or Hobbico. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

And as far as 'Round 2taking a while to counter Revell..' , well, that is nonsense--the Revell '29 came out in 2015, the AMT in 2016...

If I recall there was a typical delay from initial announcement to actually seeing them on the shelves.  Thus giving Round 2 the possible advantage of cranking out some of their already mold ready kits beating Revell to market. If not at least taking advantage of Revells advertising of a "new" Model A Roadster kit. 

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

If I recall there was a typical delay from initial announcement to actually seeing them on the shelves.  Thus giving Round 2 the possible advantage of cranking out some of their already mold ready kits beating Revell to market. If not at least taking advantage of Revells advertising of a "new" Model A Roadster kit. 

There are always delays.  It takes time to get tooling going, box art designed, etc.   That's reality.    Revell's kit came out before AMTs, so your 'point' makes no sense...

Edited by Rob Hall

4 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

The delay was due to Round2 cutting all new tooling for some long lost parts that hadn't been in the kit in years.

Here's all the info on that, posted on Round2's "Collector Model" blog in 2016, shortly before the kit was reissued:

http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/2554-the-inside-scoop-on-amts-1929-ford-model-a-mod-rod-reissue/

Page five of the AMT section at Round2's site shows that both the standard box version, & the "Original Art Series" version are still listed, which means that they are still in the catalog:

http://round2corp.com/product-category/amt/page/5/

It has also been stated several times by everyone else here that the AMT kit is still easily available on hobby shop shelves.

I have no earthly idea what point you're attempting to make here,  as everything you're posted in this thread reeks of circular logic. With all the information that been presented by others in this thread, your continuous comments are quite simply illogical, & have no basis in anything, let alone facts.

Edited by Bob Turner2

If Round 2 really wanted to counter Revell- tool up a new coupe body and interior tub for the existing '29 kit. Say what you want about the Revell A hot rod kits, but the old AMT kit is still pretty nice, and you'd be able to build a stock Model A coupe as well. 

3 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

If Round 2 really wanted to counter Revell- tool up a new coupe body and interior tub for the existing '29 kit. Say what you want about the Revell A hot rod kits, but the old AMT kit is still pretty nice, and you'd be able to build a stock Model A coupe as well. 

I'll second the motion ....

13 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

All of that being said, I believe they could do well by cranking out something interesting from the past ( NO cost for NEW molds) .:D

again taking advantage  of this void in the market. 

They're releasing EIGHT kits in July, how many more do you need?

Let's clear this up right now.

Yes the AMT Round2 1929 Model A Roadster kit IS still available and on hobby shop shelves as we debate, never said it wasn't.:blink:

I will not post any pictures to clarify this now as that just seems to confuse some.:wacko:

Yes, Revell did beat Round2 to the shelves due to all the reasons stated here. again, thank you all for making all the reasons perfectly clear.

All I'm getting at, is NOW is the time for Round2 to make use of the marketing void left by Hobbieco's demise and Revells move. 

They have the time (NOW) and they have the resources.^_^

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

All I'm getting at, is NOW is the time for Round2 to make use of the marketing void left by Hobbieco's demise and Revells move. 

Your post title is referencing something in the past, not a suggestion of what Round2 should do now, so while people understood you, they disagreed with you. A more concisely constructed post (and a post title more consistent with the body) would've more clearly communicated what you were trying to discuss.

It's been mentioned before that Round2 doesn't view other companies as tit-for-tat competitors, so the idea they need to match each kit release from Company A with something from their own tooling inventory doesn't hold up very well. Round2 has many unique options which no other company can nor would try to match, and the number of competitors, when viewed down at the individual kit level, is incredibly small. I think they have a very good idea of what they should be reissuing, with the timing of the "when" being more reliant upon the condition of a specific mold, rather than what any individual competitor might be releasing.

TL/DR: Round2 is doing their own thing and knows better than us.

I'm confused here - what did you want Round 2 to do? new kits, different boxes, more marketing?

2 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Yes the AMT Round2 1929 Model A Roadster kit IS still available and on hobby shop shelves as we debate, never said it wasn't.:blink:

I will not post any pictures to clarify this now as that just seems to confuse some.:wacko:

Yes, Revell did beat Round2 to the shelves due to all the reasons stated here. again, thank you all for making all the reasons perfectly clear.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Your post title is referencing something in the past, not a suggestion of what Round2 should do now, so while people understood you, they disagreed with you. A more concisely constructed post (and a post title more consistent with the body) would've more clearly communicated what you were trying to discuss.

It's been mentioned before that Round2 doesn't view other companies as tit-for-tat competitors, so the idea they need to match each kit release from Company A with something from their own tooling inventory doesn't hold up very well. Round2 has many unique options which no other company can nor would try to match, and the number of competitors, when viewed down at the individual kit level, is incredibly small. I think they have a very good idea of what they should be reissuing, with the timing of the "when" being more reliant upon the condition of a specific mold, rather than what any individual competitor might be releasing.

TL/DR: Round2 is doing their own thing and knows better than us.

Very well put on the entire subject. I feel you're correct on the aspect of the timing, insofar as the mold condition goes, but, also based on prior sales of certain subjects of their own. Round2 has been doing this for what. ten years since leasing the tooling from Tomy before purchasing it? One would think that in that time they've managed to figure out how to run the business, competition or not. Surely they've got a better grasp on the entire situation than someone with no connection to the company, nor experience in the field, who's merely yelling from the sidelines.

Right now, just based on the amount of tooling & the licensed trademarks at their disposal, (AMT, MPC, Lindberg, Polar Lights, Hawk, [add in Pyro & some IMC tooling, if not the actual respective trademarks themselves], to pick from), & the fact that the Revell/Monogram situation is still getting worked out, as far as domestic kits for the US market goes, Round2 has no real competition to speak of.

Sure, there is Moebius, but they're pretty much a niche manufacturer compared to Round2, at least in the depth & breath of the amount of amount of tooling they can choose from, (witness the many Hudson Hornet & 65 Plymouth variations they've relied upon), & having just gone through a sale to someone else themselves, they may not be positioned to compete with Round2 for the foreseeable future. At this point Round2 has likely 90-95% of the domestic market sewn up.

Edited by Bob Turner2

3 hours ago, Casey said:

It was a simple lead in to the topic of discussion, nothing more.:(

4 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

And again they're reissuing 8 kits in July...which is about double to triple their normal monthly output.  I don't know what else you expect them to do exactly.  Unless it's become the "new" Revell and start making new tools, which shant be happening.