Model Cars Magazine Forum

Full Monte

George Bojaciuk

LOL!

I was on my back porch watching a downpour and a thunderstorm. As I perused thru another modeling site, I saw that they were promoting SS Sunday!

Something clicked...no, it wasn't an effect of the adult beverage, but I realized that I had an old obscure build on my shelf! I dug it out.

It appears in my book and as soon as I opened the display a flood of memories came back!

It was the mid eighties... I was standing in line waiting to pick up my pizza. Guy in front of me was gabbing with the dough tosser. He had just created a monster street killer Monte, by inserting a chip. I could hardly contain myself.... I didn't and blurted out, "If you really want to become intimate with your kidneys, you should have dumped in a big block...not a chip! Place fell silent. Guy gave me my pizza and said, "no charge". I always liked stuffing something big where it didn't belong!

This gave me the impetus to build this...

IMG_4936.jpg.4e11e392a1782298b317e7379bfb0a4e.jpgIMG_4937.jpg.1f9d1779e453afb443108b387d549873.jpg

Edited by George Bojaciuk
Spacing

I remember that article. I think it was in SAE, but I don't remember the issue. Glad to see the car still exists!

Nowadays, they only put LS motors in old cars. I talk to my younger coworkers and they don't even CONSIDER small or big blocks anymore. Shame, they were great engines and they have more raw character than the modern powerplants do. But you can't chip 'em like they do now. A by product of the computer generation, I guess.

I remember that article and really enjoyed it. That was an inspiring build for somebody who grew up during the "custom van-and-questionable-80's-cars" era. I also have to say: getting a free pizza is quite an accomplishment, too!!!

I have always liked your articles, George. Did you also do an article for SAE way back when, the subject of which was an AAR Cuda conversion from their Hemi Cuda kit? If so, I followed that playbook, turning out one of my favorite builds! 

I still do my column and auction. If you are not already on my list, PM me your email and I'll send you a bunch of past articles and auctions to review. Doesn't cost a thing! I write as my schedule permits and I go into more detail than a mag might allow. Currently my list has grown to about 200 people!

Nice build? I have a1:1 ‘87 Luxury Sport which has been powered by an LS6 spec big block since new. Thanks to GM’s aversion to engineering in the 80’s, the big block conversion is almost completely a bolt in swap. Only the 4 row radiator and exhaust from the engine to the stock SS monte resonators and tailpipes had to be fabricated. All the rest came from prowling the GM parts bins.

...kind of like GM did to build the Fiero from a T1000/Chevette front suspension and the X Body front drive unit transplanted to the rear position? Viola! Here is our “new” mid engine pseudo sports car!