Model Cars Magazine Forum

(Ford) Pickup Truck Bed Length?

I picked up this AMT Ford Ranger F-350 kit today on E-Bay.  I'd like to make it into an F100/F250 with an 8 foot bed.  I'm pretty sure this kit has a longer bed than 8 feet. 

How is the length of the bed determined?  Is it measured from inside of the tailgate to the inside of the bed’s bulkhead?  

s-l1600-2.jpg

This kit does have the regular 8 foot bed on it but because of the F350 super camper special package it is modeled after, the wheel base is longer (140") than the regular 133" wb that the regular long box trucks came with. It's only the box sides/inner panels that need modifying.

More info in this thread...

76fsrstrk.jpg

The other issue you're going to run into is that this kit has the bed toolbox on the passenger side so the inner bed side is different from the drivers side. To make a correct 133" bed the wheel arches need to come forward but also down. Here's the two beds from the same angle.

Ford-1973-F350SCS_01.jpg.2ce466ccab5287df64f9b507c783fc42.jpg

5b350b75c1cc1_78F2504x4_Super_Blue_White013.jpg.b67dca7823e3c7a1ec9b6d80fbad3bad.jpg

Brian, Thanks for posting these 2 pictures.  I know exactly what you are saying.  I downloaded pictures that Repstock(Tom Ellifritt) has in his Photobucket showing what needs to be cut and moved to make a correct 133" bed.  He shows a good way to lower the wheel arches.  I'll remove the bed tool box too. 

Here's another great thread on the box modification procedure...

...also, the compartment built into the box side on the camper special is actually a spare tire compartment; that's why the inner wall is shaped like it is. The regular toolbox is shown in the second pic.

mike

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Not shown on their website, only  shows the Chevy Longbed being available.

That is true, but it is available, I have three of them. I bought mine at shows, but I suppose you could contact him directly.

7 hours ago, Repstock said:

That is true, but it is available, I have three of them. I bought mine at shows, but I suppose you could contact him directly.

Thankyou for the update Repstock. Your Explorer looks  great. Factory colors, paint stripe and molding deletes are right on target, can't wait to see the special  plaid bench  seat!

LIlPG7k.thumb.jpg.f748c69faf1103cb70be1c548c102bc9.jpg

1 hour ago, leafsprings said:

Thankyou for the update Repstock. Your Explorer looks  great. Factory colors, paint stripe and molding deletes are right on target, can't wait to see the special  plaid bench  seat!

Here you go...SYVvE6a.thumb.jpg.9524721df21c75d5cef3401efe91a282.jpg