Model Cars Magazine Forum

Convoy Rubber Duck Mack

As has been stated , the ERTL kit is not much good as far as building an accurate Duck truck , in 1978 I scratch built a reasonable facsimile of the truck using the AMT R 600 and the engine and air cleaner out of the AMT Cruise Liner . I had almost all of the truck done when the Duck kit was done. What one must remember is that they used 4 trucks plus a glider during filming. The 1st unit truck was a brand new 77 RS700 L with the TipTurbine diesel coupled with a Fuller 10 Syd transmision and Mack’s camelback suspension and axels. The info I had received from writing a letter to Mack trucks.  When Dan Bruno restored the second unit vehicle it was a combination of several trucks . If you look at it closely you will note the late style hood (the earlier hood was not as tall) the shorter cab shell, (cab was redesigned in the early 70’s ) as well as the sleeper box with the doors more centred . Also the shorter fuel tanks . It has a White trucks rear suspension ( spring similar to the White Freightliner kit springs) . Overall I think the resin kit looks good but really to be really accurate you would want to source the AMT kits and the stupid price ERTL kits to be bang on ! Aftermarket decals as well ! As for engine colour , the Tip Turbine was found in red , but mostly copper and some were gold. A friend of mine used to work as a mechanic at the local Mack dealer, he was my reference! Any questions on this one feel free to ask ! Studied the movie while watching over 200 time and I still pick up things. 

I have the AITM resin kit and all usable parts from the ERTL Convoy kit are included with it, as well as more correct wheels, suspension, battery boxes with air tanks, sleeper and R700 hood, you may want to use the AMT R600 kit as a starting point anyway to get more details...and as the AITM kit doesn't have one at all you need the ENDT 676 engine from the Cruiseliner or the Auslowe resin parts to do the Tip Turbine Cool Power Maxidyne engine.
But I'm sure you can buy the resin copied ERTL parts separate from Dave at AITM if you ask nicely ;) , I did a custom order when I bought mine, at first I was only going to buy the necessary parts to convert the AMT R600 kit wich Dave agreed to supply me with, but after some thought I finally decided to buy the whole kit except for the decals as I allready had the same Modeltruckin' decals included in the AITM kit.

As I have said before, I bought the ERTL Convoy truck back when it was new in the late 80's so I know it well and what it contains, and I can't justify paying the stupid prices asked for the ERTL kit now when the duck hood ornament, the bull bar and the roof air foil are the only parts you can use from the kit if you want to do a Rubber Duck truck, you will not have use for the rest of the kit other than to build something else from it, and the regular DM600 has been reissued several times and can be found a lot cheaper.

It's funny, even as you have seen a movie a gazillion times you still pick up things every time you watch it, I have lost count of how many times I have seen Convoy, Smokey And The bandit and some other cult car and truck related movies, maybe it's because you concentrate on other things as you know the plot allready.
I bought the Movin' On series on DVD a couple of weeks ago and I'm watching the series the second time now and I pick up things all the time.

Hi Duck fans, I managed to cobble together a reasonable representation of the Mack from the Ertl and the AMT kits , the length of the hood was the main fault but I maid the sleeper bigger and it looked ok ish for me at the time, I did have some old photo's somewhere, but the truck is a long time gone. The thing I remember most from the time was the big duck that came with the kit, I had it on my car dashboard and some nice person broke in and nicked it, the car was fixable but I was gutted the duck had gone!

Anyway good look with the build, i will be watching to see how it comes together.

I forgot to mention as well, the correct chassis under the Duck’s truck is going to have to be fabricated, Mack Western series trucks have a deeper frame rail than the AMT R series is too narrow, best thing kit wise is to get a set out of the Ford Louisville Short Hauler kit and use the Mack cross members and components. 

The western r series of Mack had straight rails. I modified my 1/32 Rubber Duck. I haven’t finished her yet, still working on the 2 hole bud wheels. Here’s a pic of the frames I fabricated from a combination of looking at pictures and spec sheets.D7D0798A-11A9-4318-B7FF-4EB1F97BFE7E.thumb.jpeg.b6607331699be57d1fe6395d8294a79e.jpeg