Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: Chase Elliott's '16 Napa Chevy *FINISHED!*

ClayK

A little side project I've been working on when I get time. Box Stock Revell glue kit Chevy SS. I left the roof hatch lines in, so I had to update the rear bumper. Fille din the gap, then added the lower super speedway extension with sheet plastic. I will add a Miller Motorsports Customs SS splitter once my Shapeways order comes in.

Paint is Tamiya Mica Blue, with Omni 2 part clear polished out. and of course Powerslide decals. Not an exact copy of the car he won the 500 pole with at Daytona that year. But fairly close.

P1015022z-vi.jpg

P1015023z-vi.jpg

P1015020s-vi.jpg

P1015021z-vi.jpg

Tires and wheels are done as well. Powerslide decals on the kit tires and wheels.

P1015026z-vi.jpg

Should be able to wrap it up in the next couple weeks.

Clay

Edited by ClayK

On 7/2/2018 at 5:14 PM, MarkJ said:

This is ridiculous how good your modeling is. Every time you post something, my mouth hits the floor in amazement. Its  pure joy to view your builds.

Thank you Mark! I appreciate it.

On 7/9/2018 at 10:58 PM, majel said:

Looks fantastic as usual.  How did you do the marbles on the tires?

I mount my tires on a tool, and spin them on my Sherline lathe. As it is spinning I hold a big flat file across the tire. It levels the tire out, removes the center seam, and roughs them up all at once. The marbles are just the excess bits left over.

On 7/1/2018 at 6:31 PM, martinfan5 said:

Clay, what gray for the chassis are you using?

I mix it Jonathan. I have a quart of HoK white, and HoK black, and I just keep a big glass jar full of light gray mixed from the two.

Clay

On 6/26/2018 at 5:47 AM, jchrisf said:

Perfection Clay!  How do you do the red line on the rims?

I scrape the edge of the wheel with a sharp hobby knife after the black has been painted. Then I just run a red Sharpie over the exposed white plastic.

Thanks everyone.

1 hour ago, ClayK said:

I scrape the edge of the wheel with a sharp hobby knife after the black has been painted. Then I just run a red Sharpie over the exposed white plastic.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks Clay.. BTW, I've been enjoying and learning from those articles of yours that I recently bought.  Hopefully they'll put out more.  

Finally got Chase's '16 Napa Chevy finished up. I did a few mods to the rear bumper to make it into his Daytona super speedway car. Powerslide Napa decals, as well as Powerslide's new Carbon Fiber seat and dash decals. Paint is Tamiya Mica Blue, with Omni 2 part clear.

I added a Brandon Miller 3D printed front splitter, an some roof antennas and roof camera. Pretty  happy with how it turned out, and glad to get it off the bench!

Thanks for looking...CK

P1015043z-vi.jpg

P1015046z-vi.jpg

P1015049z-vi.jpg

P1015050z-vi.jpg

P1015051z-vi.jpg

• Like 1