Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1966 Olds 442

Merkur XR4Ti

JjlTyXzqAYwdUVRJYNQR9A05nBGPQJfsf2KNanN65Mo.jpg

This is the usual AMT kit, I had this sitting around for a long while before putting it together. A decent kit but the wheels and tires didn't fit well; if I had to do it over again I'd pick up some AMT redlines and use those. There's almost no BMF on this car; nearly every bit of the brightwork was done with Molotow Chrome markers. I'm sold on those forever, so much easier than BMF.

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

Perfect color for a 442. I'm not a fan of vinyl tops but this one looks well done. The refection in the paint on the hood almost looks like it just got rained on, or maybe that's because it just started raining here.

Wow, I like that!  That red just works, and the vinyl top really sets it off nicely.   

Would you mind telling us how you did the vinyl top, especially the tunnel-back area?  I'm think of doing a vinyl roof on the Lindberg '67 442. 

Also, any engine or chassis pics?

18 hours ago, Monty said:

Wow, I like that!  That red just works, and the vinyl top really sets it off nicely.   

Would you mind telling us how you did the vinyl top, especially the tunnel-back area?  I'm think of doing a vinyl roof on the Lindberg '67 442. 

Also, any engine or chassis pics?

For the top, I first glued strips of .010 plastic onto the roof to simulate the seams.

I then carefully masked off the roof after painting the body with Tamiya tape and sprayed Testor's flat black from a distance to get a texture to it.

After the roof was dry, I then rubbed my finger along the side of my nose and then rubbed my finger on the roof. The oils from my skin imparted a slight semi-gloss sheen onto the roof and made it look like vinyl.

I like this a lot!! I had planned to start one of the AMT cars pretty soon and can’t decide if I want to do the hardtop or the convertible. I’ve had both kits forever and really never checked them out until I saw a few nice builds recenrly. Your car is very nice looking and I’m keeping it in mind as a possible color combination.