Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Touring Car and Phaeton

I would welcome a Monogram reissue of this kit. I have no experience with the Butteras '27, but like a lot of those kits, I'd be worried it's underscale. But why waste the plactic on the AMT '32 Phaeton? The molds are really shot on the '32. The last two kits of that I got the interior wouldn't fit into the body properly. I'm holding out to hope that Revell releases a phaeton based on the recent Model A or Model B releases.

Image result for model kit monogram touring sedan

That one has been rereleased fairly recently it is in the car show series. It is a yellow car with flames and wire wheels on the box lid. It is 1/24 scale but it is very well proportioned and scaled. This kit has its roots in the original 1964? issue. It has lots of parts and pieces that are directly interchangeable with the Monogram 30 Model A coupe, the Monogram 30 Model A Sport coupe and the Monogram 30 Ford Woody. Some of the parts from the recent 29 Ford Roadster pickup Blue Beetle reissue (and previous issues) also interchange with very few issues.

With some careful kitbashing between the various kits and issues/reissues it's possible to build it with a small block Chevy with three Deuces, six Deuces, an OHV early Cadillac, a chrome firewall, a Deuce grill shell, a couple of different dash options and a choice of several different sets of wheels and tires. You could even build one stone stock if that was your desire. Depending on which engine choice you go with it's generally easiest to take the rear end and torque tube out of the same kit so that everything lines up properly.

I for one love this series of kits and pick them up whenever I see one for a reasonable price. Lot of places online you see them for big money especially the coupe and the Cabriolet however looking at model shows and such you can usually pick them up for less than $20 a kit. Less than that even if it's a partial or started kit.

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

. But why waste the plastic on the AMT '32 Phaeton? The molds are really shot on the '32. The last two kits of that I got the interior wouldn't fit into the body properly.

I'm not sure what your version was, but there was a release that had the wrong interior shipped with it.  I believe it was the Vicky interior.  

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I would welcome a Monogram reissue of this kit. I have no experience with the Butteras '27, but like a lot of those kits, I'd be worried it's underscale. 

The Revell John Buttera T kits are correct.  The Buttera '33-'34 Fords are undersize because they use the same chassis as the Ts. 

' I believe this was issued within the last 10 years(but I could be wrong) '

You are correct.

What I am saying to AMT is this.

'Enough with the Bucket T kits!'

Here.This picture shows an early hot rod that looks a little 'dopey' but it shows how they were built once upon a time.

Fenderless AMT '27 T and '32 touring cars have that 'jalopy' thing about them too.Just a fun rod!

5b32ca92674c0_AMT22FordStockandStreetRod.jpe.733317fb89e269822ba8d26edf187c57.jpe

Edited by regular guy

17 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I'm not sure what your version was, but there was a release that had the wrong interior shipped with it.  I believe it was the Vicky interior.  

There was a build up of plastic on one side of the inside of the body, near the rear wheel arch. I tried sanding it smooth, but it was deformed enough that the interior wouldn't fit well. 

Notice on box the front tires are called 'slims'.

60's and 70's the trend was to put wide ovals on bucket T's.

Chrome hub caps are like in some of the Lindberg hot rod kits.

'34 roadster pickup and T pickup 3in1.

Hubcaps like that are '50's era dress up item.

Check out the 'nerf bar' front bumper.

THOSE are missing from a lot of the nostalgia reissues.Front and back.

They come from dirt track cars that are push to start. Direct drive.No tranny.

Edited by regular guy

20 hours ago, Toner283 said:

...Lot of places online you see them for big money especially the coupe and the Cabriolet however looking at model shows and such you can usually pick them up for less than $20 a kit. Less than that even if it's a partial or started kit.

At a model show about a month ago, I found a mint unbuilt "Special Interest Series" '30 Cabriolet from the 1970s.  Been trying to find one for ages. The seller wanted $30 and would not go below $25.  So I coughed up the dough and brought it home with me. 

A quick check on eBay "Completed Items" shows the Cabriolet has recently sold in the $20-30 range (and higher).  But that's before shipping is added, so $25 sounded reasonable. The Cabriolet seems a lot harder to find than the Coupe and Phaeton, which have both been re-issued.  I'm not sure but I don't think the Cabriolet has ever been reissued since the 70s.

At a different show, I found a nicely built and unpainted stock '30 Phaeton for $5.  I might turn that into a jalopy, either on its own or by cross-kitting it with the latest Phaeton reissue. That reissue didn't have the stock parts, only the hot-rodded V8 and modern wheels/tires.

' I might turn that into a jalopy '

There's someone getting into the spirit of things!

Here's a picture to motivate you.

Check out the half Carson top.AMT '50 ford is probably same era as this kit.Mid late 50's maybe early  60's.

Also the whitewall tires.Dopey but authentic period hot rod items.

Check out the rims.They made a comeback in the 90's.I guarantee nobody wanted anything that looked like that in the 80's.

Engine looks like a Chevy 409.Don't see many of those in kits.That engine sort of got wiped out by the 427 and 396.

5b33b95a282ec_AuroraRoadRaiderTouringCar.jpg.523186ea48b3e7b4933dd12c37141a40.jpg

Edited by regular guy

I posit the Phaeton bodystyle is the least popular of all the '32 Fords, and wouldn't expect Round2 to bring one to market any time soon. There are simply too many other choices, and I have my doubts the '32 Victoria, even with the cleaning up of the mold and included extras, sold all that well.

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I said evil, not....

I agree. I just posted it because the Good Guys Taxi is essentially the '28 Lincoln kit, with a fair number of additional, unique parts added. That said, nothing is off limits when Round2 has active licensing for anything George Barris related. :blink:

' the '32 Victoria'

I guess you mean this.

Could that boxart being any worse?That car needs a paint job!

Hello AMT.Forget the R Rod box art.Put the oldest boxtop you have available on there!

Also.Use the old flat box.

The current R Rod crowd will figure it out and buy the kit anyhow.

If you are motivated you can make a Li'l Coffin type show rod from this kit.

Sure the Lil Coffin might have been a Sedan but close enough.

About the 32 Phaeton.That builds into a nice stock touring car.Looks like there is room for the third row of seats.

Makes a cool custom too.

5b33d29850621_AMT1932FordVictoria.jpg.2373a9ad0d1012a774691f15f66462f1.jpg

Neighborhood kid's big brother had a black primer painted Chevy shoebox 'high rider' gasser like.

So yeah. They did exist.I don't know if they make catchy boxart.I think gleam and sparkle work a little better.

Here's the Orange Crate.

Yep. It's a sedan but you can do same thing to the Vicky.Pick a level of modification.

Orange Crate should get the adrenalin going!

Good engine choose for the Vicky would be Buick Nailhead or Cadillac.Unblown.

5b33d75509fe5_RevellOrangeCrate.jpg.385ba66c6605fcb07f8fea011bab3c20.jpg

Edited by regular guy

When I said "jalopy," I meant something more like this.  A basically stock Model A, with various parts pulled (or falling) off.  A high-school kid's first car back in the 1940s or '50s, probably bought or yanked out of a farmer's field or a geezer's garage.  Complete with hand-lettered crude sayings, in every sense of the word "crude."  Like "Don't laugh, your daughter is inside."

Here's a nice example, even if it's not a Phaeton.  According to the caption, this photo of a jalopy named "Boogie Woogie" was shot in Florida in 1940. 

jalop-1.jpg