Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford Woody - front & back views

Phildaupho

image.thumb.png.d2c60b10094c689556cab5205aa0555d.png

I built this Deuce Woody to be part of an All Varieties of ’32 Fords at Deuce Days in Scale 2019. Officially known as the Station Wagon, there were 1406 produced in 1932. Birch plywood & maple framing first growth came from Ford’s Iron Mountain Reserve. The Mengel Body Company of Louisville Kentucky constructed sub-assemblies. Final assembly done by Baker-Raulang of Cleveland Ohio. The fuel tank was located under front passenger seat. Bodies were only available in shades of medium brown and all ’32 Fords had black fenders.

The model combines the “wood” body from the Rev/Mon 1/24 ’30 Model A Woody with the “steel” parts from the Rev/Mon 1/24 Deuce Roadster. The panels on the “wood” body were cut out and backed with real birch plywood from Revell. The framework was first painted light yellow and then dry brushed light brown. All the “wood” was then coated with Tamiya acrylic yellow clear.

Inside there are only two rows of seats where as stock station wagons came with three rows. The front seat was fabricated from the roadster seat. The Deuce dash comes from a Revell 1/25 kit.

The Roadster also provided the wire-wheels and engine. Engine parts came from a 1/24 ’57 Corvette. I had to use the ‘30 Model A Woody rear fenders to match body radius. The suspension was lowered front and rear.

Other than the windshield the only window coverings were side curtains constructed from fabric and celluloid with those for the side doors sliding in channels up to the inner roof. The model side curtains are simulated with adhesive tape and very thin clear styrene.

image.png.0db388dda95cc40b026f93f7e74c0ba4.pngimage.png.64ac34082d747e6e204226e7386bdcfb.png

image.png

Edited by Phildaupho

That is beautiful looking. You had me with the first picture, then I noticed the curtains and the stance. With the louvered hood and the early Corvette mechanical Fuel Injection you can only wish it was real.

22 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Very nice job and your wood looks very realistic.

8 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Sweet looking woody!

7 hours ago, espo said:

That is beautiful looking. You had me with the first picture, then I noticed the curtains and the stance. With the louvered hood and the early Corvette mechanical Fuel Injection you can only wish it was real.

26 minutes ago, vintagercr said:

Phil, another nice looking build!

9 hours ago, DumpyDan said:

Nice looking build.

13 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

10 hours ago, PARTSMARTY said:

Very cool !!!

Thanks everyone and I hope I did not miss anyone. I am really enjoying this all 15 varieties of 32 Fords project and most of my local car modeller buddies are involved either building other versions or volunteering previous builds for the display.

1 hour ago, BigTallDad said:

Nice work all the way around, especially the wood! Here's something to think about on your next build: open the fresh air vent.

Love your '40 Ford Sportsman - it's a beauty and the open vent is definitely a nice touch

2 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Love your '40 Ford Sportsman - it's a beauty and the open vent is definitely a nice touch

Thank you; we seem to share an appreciation for wood on cars. The raised wood on the '40 was 1/32" plywood; the underlying (dark) wood was a decal.

The open vent is really quite easy...cut the center out, then place masking tape over the opening and rub a pencil lead on the opening. Transfer the masking tape to sheet styrene and cut the filler plate. The mesh is a bit more (but not much) difficult and you may not be able to easily find it. LMK via PM if you need some.

• 2 weeks later...