Model Cars Magazine Forum

More than one car with the same name

I've always been baffled at why one make will use the same "core" model name on several different platforms. Oldsmobile was the worst offender in that case... Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Supreme, and a few others I'm not thinking of, all of which were in the lineup simultaneously. There was even a Cutlass Supreme Calais (G-body) and a Cutlass Calais Supreme(N-Body). Today we have examples like the front-drive compact Ford Transit Connect, and the full-size rear drive Ford Transit. Examples like the Taurus and Taurus X make more sense to me (essentially different body styles on the same platform), but sharing part of the name with several vehicles on different platforms always seemed weird to me. I know "brand recognition" and whatever, but diluting that brand never made any sense. 

22 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

Hupp Skylark and Buick Skylark. Buick Invicta and the British made Invicta. Bentley and Lincoln Continental. Auburn Speedster and Porsche Speedster.

And the 1933 Continental, when the Continental engine company briefly got into the car business.

33-Beacon-Flyer_DV-11-GG_001.jpg

One of my favorite dustups of all time.   Ferrari F150 and Ford F150.  After a legal battle, Ferrari changed the name to Italia, because someone is likely to go into a Ferrari dealership looking for a pickup!:lol:

38 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

One of my favorite dustups of all time.   Ferrari F150 and Ford F150.  After a legal battle, Ferrari changed the name to Italia, because someone is likely to go into a Ferrari dealership looking for a pickup!:lol:

Hahaha reading this reminded me of the Mercedes E350 and the Econoline E350...

53 minutes ago, Badluck 13 said:

Hahaha reading this reminded me of the Mercedes E350 and the Econoline E350...

Numbers and letters that are trademarked.  Kind of weird.  Your comment made me think of another one, but much older trademark issue.  When the Porsche 911 was first introduced it was introduced as the 901.  Then Peugeot objected because they had trademarked the 900 series with the middle digit as a 0.  The first 82 911's were actually badged at 901's but changed to 911 after that.  Nobody remembers the Peugeot 901(an imminently forgettable car) but practically everyone knows the 911.

11 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Doesn't Ford have a hyphen in there? F-150?