Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fully detailed Airfix James Bond Aston Martin DB-5

Dann Tier

5 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Hey Dann, great progress on this.

What did you scribe the seats with, just a scalpel? And how did you do that piping? Did you glue it in? 

Thanks, Atin!, here is how I scribe, and pipe my interiors.....

-Photo 1; I first start by making a few passes wth my #11 where I want to scribe, and this gives either one of my next two scribing tools, a line to stay in. For interior scribing, I only use the top two. The Hardened steel punch in the pin vise works EXTREMELY well!!, and can go through curves and turns WAAAAAY better than designated tools!! 

-Photo 2; I started off using this Tamiya cement, after bending it where it needed to go, then I flooded the solder in place with it. This worked really good, but I think its only because I had the trim in a groove, because while final sanding a few days later, I popped one out by accident. That's when I decided to go over one side of all of the pipping with my Plasti-Zap. It has a bit of capillary flow, but not much. If you carefully add  glue, then wipe with your fingers along the trim quickly, then it works a treat, without the glue showing.....since it dries fast, and hard.

Note: I know its a lot more work, but I think I will keep doing it this way, since it worked so well, and I know that most people just glue wire straight to the part without the groove, but to me this is less stressful...harder to screw up, and looks more realistic to me. I will still be starting with the Tamiya quick set, since it gives you more time to position it, then, i'll hit it with the Plasti-Zap to seal the deal. If you start off using a super glue, its there , and when you try to straighten it, it will only bend at sharp angles, which looks wrong. Also, DONT try to be perfect when scribing, and pipping!!...it looks far more realistic when its NOT perfect!    -Hope this helps!

DSCF6126.JPG

s-l225.jpg

untitled.png

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:39 PM, Funkychiken said:

Hey Dann, thanks for the tute!

I didn't think that the solder would stay in place with plastic cement. It makes sense to go over it with CA. I guess that you pre-form the solder.

You bet, Atin!, for most of it, I pre-shaped it, but with solder, its not really necessary. My refined method now, is to super glue it at the vry beginning of it......about a 16th of an inch, then form it, and after its in its right position, I go over the whole thing with the Tamiya Extra Thin -Quick Set, since it holds very well while yo finalize the positioning. Then, the last step is to add a tiny bit of super glue to the other ends, and intersections......once that's dry, I will add super glue all the way down one side of the solder.....quickly wiping  excess off with my finger tip. If you don't, you could run the risk of glue "chunking-up" on the piping, which would look terrible.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, James2 said:

I really like how you do this piping. Just for kixs and giggles how about a few in progress pictures?

Sorry it took a minute to respond, James, but after I get my painting days done here, I will do a step-by-step of how I pipe, using the two front seats!

• 1 month later...

Hello Dann - excellent build as you always do.  I've been away from the site for a while and was great to see you building one of my favorite subjects.

My Airfix "Bond" DB5 was started and had some damage so I likely will clean it up and build it as stock.  All the weapons are still there so I might add them to a Doyusha kit down the road.  I have been looking at having the Airfix driveline cast for use in projects like that.

I'm definitely looking forward to see your progress on this one.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:42 PM, djflyer said:

Hello Dann - excellent build as you always do.  I've been away from the site for a while and was great to see you building one of my favorite subjects.

My Airfix "Bond" DB5 was started and had some damage so I likely will clean it up and build it as stock.  All the weapons are still there so I might add them to a Doyusha kit down the road.  I have been looking at having the Airfix driveline cast for use in projects like that.

I'm definitely looking forward to see your progress on this one.

Thanks, David!...maybe you will post yours here too?!!...its actually a really detailed kit already.  I've built three of the Goldfinger  Doyusha kits before, and other than the ride height, and lack of a curve on the rockers, its a really nice kit....fun to build!!

Haven't followed this in a bit Dann but I'm glad I got caught up.  The insights you shared on your techniques are fantastic.  That scratch built steel awl you made up in the pin vise has the potential for multiple applications on my bench.  Good tips and the results to match.  That interior piping is phenomenal.  cheers

8 hours ago, Codi said:

Haven't followed this in a bit Dann but I'm glad I got caught up.  The insights you shared on your techniques are fantastic.  That scratch built steel awl you made up in the pin vise has the potential for multiple applications on my bench.  Good tips and the results to match.  That interior piping is phenomenal.  cheers

Thanks a lot, Tim!!, i'm glad to share ALL my techniques.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Looking forward to updates !

Thanks, Bud!, i think my first order of business is to remove the carpet trimming, and replace it with a larger guage solder. I learned from my Lotus, that even though it was to scale, by the time i flocked, it disappeared, so slightly larger should do the trick......i hope, lol

Hey, everyone!, got quite a bit done today!

-Photo 1-3; This photo shows the new...larger guage solder for the carpeting, a kit-bashed hand brake (just noticed i put it on the wrong freaking side...LOL) -'ll fix that. I made the seat brackets...the drivers side has the weapons tray under it where it should be.

-Photo 4; The seats, and weapons tray fit perfectly! The pencil lines on the seat shows where i need to scribe them.

-Photo 5&6; Here is the kits radar piece...barely detailed, and the wrong shape...

-Photo 7&8; ...heres the start of mine. The pencil line shows where i need to cut off a bit.

-Photo 9-11; Here i have started to pre-assemble the chassis bits...

-Photo 12;...so far, the rear suspension is the only bit that hasnt fit that great. There seems to be too much play in the whole assembly. In order to center the axle in the wheel well, i had to lean the springs forward.....this may have to change, but its my starting point at least. If i make longer control arms, it will make the springs go where i think they should -at a 90* angle, but then it puts the axle too far back.

DSCF9279.JPG

DSCF9280.JPG

DSCF9281.JPG

DSCF9282.JPG

DSCF9283.JPG

DSCF9276.JPG

DSCF9277.JPG

DSCF9288.JPG

DSCF9289.JPG

DSCF9284.JPG

DSCF9285.JPG

DSCF9286.JPG

DSCF9287.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

6 hours ago, beeRS said:

This is fantastic work Dann. The interior alone is going to be a masterpiece. I once had this kit, and decided it was too much work to get it right so I sold the kit on. It seems nothing scares you.

Thanks again, Bud!!....kids are scary, lol...hope you got a decent amount for it!....they catch around $3-450 for very good condition.