Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '76 Ford Torino

Since I'm not great at math, 4" in 25th scale would equal about what, maybe 1/8"? I'm thinking of just not touching the length, it might not be too noticeable, and would save an enormous amount of time, esp. for a $7.50 kit...

Jeff

8 hours ago, jefropas said:

Since I'm not great at math, 4" in 25th scale would equal about what, maybe 1/8"? I'm thinking of just not touching the length, it might not be too noticeable, and would save an enormous amount of time, esp. for a $7.50 kit...

Jeff

1/16"

Back when I was a youth, there was a small office building across the street from my house.  It was a sales office for a chemical company.  They had a fleet of these Torino 4 door sedans, no doubt the salesmen's cars.  They were all different colors,  place almost looked like a Ford dealership. 

You are correct. 16 % of 1 scale inch is 1/6 of and inch. 1/4 scale inch equals 6 1/4 real inches in 1/25th scale. 1/2 inch in 1/25th scale equals 12 1/2 real inches,  3/4 of an inch in 1/25 scale equals 18 3/4 real inches and   1 inch in 1/25th scale equals 25 real inches,  

Edited by magicmustang

In order to achieve that length, it looked like Ford stretched the wheelbase from the trailing edge of the front doors on back. Naturally the length of the front doors were shorter, but I'm not sure simply adding extra doors onto a two door wheelbase won't make the car appear too "truncated" and "short".

It's up to you, but if it were me building it-----I'd do some sort of "Z" cut somewhere behind the front doors, then across the beltline a bit and then across the roof, in front of the C pillar, and move the whole works back. It appears that the roof was a bit longer on the four doors as opposed to the two door. IMO four scale inches is LOT to me that I'd notice------but then I'm a bit compulsive about things like that! :P

Edited by MrObsessive

59 minutes ago, socal76 said:

Bill, you are a bit compulsive about most things needing to be correct. That is why you have your screen ID name. But that is also why I like seeing your WIP pics, both during and completed.

Why thanks Steve! On that note, the Shelby has been kicking my rear on the interior. Some things I'll have to fudge..........just a little, but the rear seat in particular I had to very heavily modify from the fastback as they're completely different between it and the coupe.

I'm off this week (vacation) so hopefully I can squeeze some time in and get the rest of the interior done. Before I go back to work, I'll try to post an update with pics.

23 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

A 73 4dr would be neat to replicate the Dude's car from Big Lebowski. 

I wouldn't mind that at all! A bit better looking than the later ones with their battering ram bumpers! 

On 7/3/2018 at 10:11 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

With Torinos marked down at HL, this would be a good time to grab two to build the four-door!

I can't believe there are any left. I thought plain Jane '70s vehicles are what people wanted to buy a case of, to show their disdain for more '32 Fords and '57 Chevies? 

56 minutes ago, Casey said:

I can't believe there are any left. I thought plain Jane '70s vehicles are what people wanted to buy a case of, to show their disdain for more '32 Fords and '57 Chevies? 

They all want one, but only with the 40% off coupon, or discounted.

C’mon Casey........you should’ve known that

;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

As far as the Torino kit, I have one to do as an S&H car, two to do stock w/ different wheels (the kit hubcaps on one, the Magnum 500s on another),  one to do as a period street machine, one to do as a beater, and one for parts for a resin conversion....maybe w/ the Motor City Resin '72 wagon?  (I have their '72 Gran Torino 2dr coupe and '72 Ranchero). 

• 1 year later...