Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lamborghini Reventon...onto the body

Dann Tier

Today I was only able to get a couple things done, due to the fact that i'm working on seven models at once...lol. Today I decided that i'm going to work on each one for no more than two hours, then move through the group as I go......kinda like speed-dating...lol  -Here I managed to get a good start on those embarrassing molded-in pedals...they had to go!, besides, they were totally wrong anyway!  The gas peddle will stick-up out of that box I made.

DSCF6077.JPG

DSCF6079.JPG

Got some more work done today!;

-Photo 1; I had to cut off the lower part of the paddles, because the real car didn't have them. Srange thing to have to do....

-Photo 4; I had to etch a seam line across the top of the dash, as it is on the real deal.

-Photo 5; Since the doors open, I needed to etch-in the seam lines on the sides of the dash.

-Photo 6; Fortunately enough for me, the buckles from a Fujimi Countach kit provded what I needed. It my seem that i'm all about scratchbuilding, but i'd rather NOT have to.

-Photo 7; Its really hard to see, but I needed to etch a stitching seam line around the shoulder pads on the door panels.

DSCF6109.JPG

DSCF6124.JPG

DSCF6125.JPG

DSCF6119.JPG

DSCF6120.JPG

DSCF6121.JPG

DSCF6123.JPG

DSCF6116.JPG

DSCF6117.JPG

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, FabbricaP said:

Coming along nicely Dann, looking forward to this one. Btw, what thickness is that sheet styrene you’re using? 

Hey, Jason!, sorry it took so long getting back to your question. I used .015 sheet styrene to make my final firewall padding, along with a center of .010, and a pre-made strip-stock across the top. Sorry again for the delay.

17 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, Jason!, sorry it took so long getting back to your question. I used .015 sheet styrene to make my final firewall padding, along with a center of .010, and a pre-made strip-stock across the top. Sorry again for the delay.

Thanks Dann!, interior is looking great

1 hour ago, Metalmad said:

Awesome job on the scratch building and I get you on not wanting to scratch build parts but it seems as though in the model car building world we are never satisfied with the parts that come with the kit.

Looks Awesome !

Thanks, Seth!, you are right, I have an inability to "settle" for things...lol

8 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Hey Dann, great build so far, and always love the extra details you put in! What are you using to etch? Are you using a recipricating rool, a vibrating tool, or manually with a blade?

Thanks Atin!, here are my preferred tools for etching/ scribbing; For this build, I started off with two scores with my blade ( first pass is light, second pass is a little harder, then I follow it up with a tempered steel point put in my pin vise. these tools I use for fine lines, the last tool I use is a Bare Metal Foil scribber that I use for standard seam lines.

DSCF6126.JPG

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, Dann Tier said:

Thanks Atin!, here are my preferred tools for etching/ scribbing; For this build, I started off with two scores with my blade ( first pass is light, second pass is a little harder, then I follow it up with a tempered steel point put in my pin vise. these tools I use for fine lines, the last tool I use is a Bare Metal Foil scribber that I use for standard seam lines.

Got a whole process going on! I have NEVER managed to scribe with a blade without scribing where I don't want to, then it's fill and sand - & I end up loosing detail, not adding... maybe you have the light touch...

2 minutes ago, Funkychiken said:

Got a whole process going on! I have NEVER managed to scribe with a blade without scribing where I don't want to, then it's fill and sand - & I end up loosing detail, not adding... maybe you have the light touch...

I only use the blade to make a channel for the other tools to follow. Sometimes I overscore, but I use a special tool to apply a very thin amount of super glue to fill in the scratch.....BARELY any sanding to make it disappear.

• Dann Tier changed the title to Lamborghini Reventon...onto the body