Model Cars Magazine Forum

Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...Mission Statement

Dann Tier

Hey everyone!, this is gonna be my first ever large scale build......and my last. A friend of mine gave me this kit, and I said that I don't normally do large scale, but if I did, it would be a Countach, so here I am! I say "upgrade", because EVERYBODY builds this kit as the kit specifies...….NOT me, I will be turning it into a later model 500s, while getting inspiration from the lesser-known Twin Turbo prototype, so there will be a TON of scratchbuilding involved!     -thanks for checking it out!

DSCF5677.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

Anybody who knows me, knows that I rarely follow the instructions, so I've decided to start with the interior.  

After rounding-off all the edges that were too sharp, I used a white colored pencil to mark where I needed to scribe the stitching seam-lines. Lamborghinis back then were hand made, so I didn't scribe perfectly straight lines, and some plastic "sagging" was left to help create realism. I opened up the shifter hole, so that it could move through the gate better. I will be scratchbuilding new seatbelt tie-downs, interior light, newer e-brake, better center counsel knobs, firewall trim that goes behind the headrests, and whatever else pops into my head as I go along. After painting over the speaker grilles with flat white, I drilled-out the holes. There were too many holes compared to my reference photo, so I drilled-out every other hole, and it looks great! To make it easier to fill, and sand the joint-seam on both sides of the guage enclosure, I first cut out the gauges, then glued, and sanded the two dash halves. I sanded off the stereo since i'm going to scratchbuild a newer one, and I cut the seatbelt slots where they retract to. Lastly, I stripped ALL the chrome parts.....especially that CRAPPY gold stuff!!!

33663695_371847160002287_1706452599042998272_n.jpg

DSCF5894.JPG

DSCF5898.JPG

DSCF5899.JPG

DSCF5547.JPG

DSCF5546.JPG

I started one of those but the LP400 early version. Made a bunch of parts, it's so much fun in this 1/12th scale, I'll be watching this with great interest! Here's what I made to go between the seats and over the shoulders for seat belts, hope you don't mind me showing these on your post?

Seatbelts 3.JPG

Seatbelts 4.JPG

Seatbelts 6.JPG

Seatbelts 7.JPG

16 hours ago, dino246gt said:

I started one of those but the LP400 early version. Made a bunch of parts, it's so much fun in this 1/12th scale, I'll be watching this with great interest! Here's what I made to go between the seats and over the shoulders for seat belts, hope you don't mind me showing these on your post?

Seatbelts 3.JPG

Seatbelts 4.JPG

Seatbelts 6.JPG

Seatbelts 7.JPG

Thanks, Dennis!, Nice scratchbuilding!!, I don't mind you sharing here,  I hope you start building yours again, and posting it here...….we can compare notes...lol

Actually got some more done on this!

-Photo 1; To level the seats, I had to make brackets, which in turn, also helped provide a better glue point. Next step, will be making the slides, and adjustment levers.

-Photo 2; Notice the now level seats.

-Photo 3; I scratchbuilt the ignition switch, but like everything i'm posting today, it too needs to be kleaned up...….also shortened.

-Photo 4; I fixed the peddles by moving the brake one slightly to the left, and then attaching the gas peddle the way it shoulda been done in the first place. I used Super glue to fill-in the sink holes.

-Photo 5; I cut off those fake-looking knobs, and drilled locating dimples for when I make better knobs.

-Photo 6; I thought it was a good idea to assemble the firewall and rear frame work, since even at this scale, the lower frame IS very fragile. However, I couldn't glue the vey end yet, due to the fact that the control arms still need to be sandwiched between those frame halves first......so I taped them,

-Photo 7; I had almost forgot to etch-in the seam that separates the inner door panel from the door frame itself.

DSCF6049.JPG

DSCF6051.JPG

DSCF6052.JPG

DSCF6053.JPG

DSCF6054.JPG

DSCF6056.JPG

DSCF6055.JPG

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Dann, this is very impressive. The reason I don't do large scale is because (IMHO) it takes a boat load of detail to keep it from looking like a Barbie car. Obviously, you are of the same mind. The boatload is on it's way.

Thanks, Rob!, you're right, also, I like waaaaaay too many other cars, there'd be NO PLACE to display them all, not to mention a small fortune on display cases would take away from money for more kits, and supplies.

1 hour ago, dino246gt said:

WOW, Dann, you're really going all out, I love it! Haven't touched mine for months, but when I get back to it, I'll be copying some of your stuff, if you don't mind!

Thanks, Dennis!, copy away! I figure if this is my favorite car, and its the ONLY time I will build in this scale, I might as well go mental over it!!

Wow. I've been blown away by all of your builds. This will be more of the same!

Picture a twin turbo Countach. The standard car wasn't exactly known for being reliable. Imagine what adding turbos would do. Maybe you should scratchbuild a tow truck to go with it!

:)

• Dann Tier changed the title to Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...Mission Statement