Model Cars Magazine Forum

Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...Mission Statement

Dann Tier

12 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, bud!!….miss seeing your work!, hope to are able to get back to it soon!!…...its your fault i'm a SB monster now!!….lol

Happy to have played any role in inspiring you to expand your scratch building skills Dann.  I really enjoy your work - keep it coming!

• Dann Tier changed the title to Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...SB guage cluster
  • Dann Tier changed the title to Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...the interior is FINISHED!!

It feels good to have this interior finished, and whilst it was fun, it felt like I could build a complete 1/24 car in the same amount of time, lol.

-Photo 1; whenever I do gauges, I try to use my self-adhesive .15 high-gloss, clear acitate. Here I have cut out the decals, stuck the acitate to them, burnished them down, and for this situation, I cut them as square, instead of my usual (cutting them right to the decal themselves), and then gluing them in from the front with canopy glue.

-Photo 2: this just shows the Acitate. The next step will be dipping them in water to get the backings off, and then making sure the back is dry before gluing them on. These were glued from the back side with canopy glue mixed with flat black acrylic paint.

-Photo 3; All ready to go in!

DSCF7573.JPG

DSCF7576.JPG

DSCF7617.JPG

DSCF7619.JPG

DSCF7620.JPG

DSCF7621.JPG

DSCF7622.JPG

1 hour ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

FANTASTIC!!!

I think I am up to date on the craziness that is your model building now...I thought it was just the Pagani, but you have been a busy beaver indeed

The interior tub looks superb man, just really greatB)

Thanks a lot, bud!!…..very much appreciated!!

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I thought you were going for accurate? Your interior is way too good. I've seen the real thing, and yours appears to be built to tighter tolerances!

:P

Keep 'em coming. I love it!

LOL!!, thanks, bud!!...the real thing ISNT very refined, that's for sure, but I very rarely build for total replication. I like to "improve" things to my liking, lol   If anybody is watching this hoping to see a Countach as it comes out of the factory, you are gonna be VERY disappointed...sorry. The idea for this build, is the one of two Twin Turbo prototype cars, but even so, i'm gonna take it WAAAAAY beyond that, to a "Could of Been" prototype. This was an idea inspired during the research into the Pagani Huayra. This Countach will be built to look like a car that is constructed from several extremely lightweight materials...same as Pagani's, which use special lightweight metals, and 15 different types of Carbon Fiber. I will be calling this Lamborghini the Bugatti Killer. This Countach will have at least two turbos.....four if I can get them in there, larger updated Carbon Ceramic brakes, and very possibly AWD. I'm glad you're liking it, I hope you still want to follow along, even though I cant leave stuff alone...lol

• Dann Tier changed the title to Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...SB new bumper
  • Dann Tier changed the title to Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...Bodywork update!
  • Dann Tier changed the title to Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...Mission Statement

Hey, everyone!, I feel the need to tell you all what is going to happen from here on out.  I initially decided to build this as a replica of an actual Countach prototype, of which there were only ever two. Then, after being amazed at how the Huayra was made....all those lightweight materials, and FIFTEEN different types of Carbon Fiber, along with Carbon-titanium!!!!, I decided to "frago" my initial plan. I decided to build this Countach as if it were re-vitalized will most of the new materials, and technologies, but still keeping it looking like your average Countach.  As much as I love the Countach, its about as aerodynamic as a brick......but  it was an extremely fast brick, claiming speeds from 185-201mph, and that was in the 1980's....without turbos, or superchargers!! This car will have 2-4 turbos, all the same lightweight materials as Pagani uses ( Horacio Pagani actually designed the last Countach….the 25TH Anniversary model), larger carbon-ceramic brakes, and quite possibly tossing the spare tyre in favor of an AWD unit....if I can fit it. I'm going to call it the "Bugatti Killer". If that Ugly mess of a car can be that fast, then so can a Countach!!  -Buckle-up everyone!....things are gonna get crazy!!

Whatever theme you go with, this is going to be built to your usual killer standards I'm sure.

Have you seen some of the Countach renders out there? What a modern Countach might look like? Your new direction reminds me of these. I only wish Lambo could still build a car as clean as these renders!

countach render 01.jpg

countach render 02.jpg

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Whatever theme you go with, this is going to be built to your usual killer standards I'm sure.

Have you seen some of the Countach renders out there? What a modern Countach might look like? Your new direction reminds me of these. I only wish Lambo could still build a car as clean as these renders!

countach render 01.jpg

countach render 02.jpg

Thanks, Bud!!, I've seen quite a few renderings, but they all looked stupid to me......worst one being that Liberty Walk thing....These however look VERY nice to me....more believable.....thanks for sharing!!  -I really wish Lamborghini would STOP making Freak-show cars!!!

Tailight update here!....didn't have much time to build today, so I decided to fix the taillights. If its suppose to be clear plastic in this kit, they made it blue instead.....so far, the only annoying part of the kit. The following is how I SB the proper reverse lights, and fixed the kolor of the taillight surrounds, which are too red, and transluscent. 

-Photo 1; Here are the kit parts...

-Photo 2 & 3; here are what they really look like...notice that there isn't any blue, lol....also, notice that the surrounds are a deeper, barely translucent red.

-Photo 4; I taped a drawing of the pattern on paper, to a cutting board...

-Photo 5; Here I taped a sheet of clear acitate over the pattern, so that it wouldn't slip while working on it.

-Photo 6; After lightly scoring over the lines, it was time to make the sides....same as the previous...

-Photo 7; Heres what they look like after being glued together with Zap. Normally that would be a bad think, since the Zap would frost the plastic, but since they need to be frosted anyway, its no big deal. Next I sanded them, coated the insides with flat clear for the frost-look, and then added the red reflector from the kit.

-Photo 9; On the left is the assembled kit lights, on the right, you can see how I fixed it. The new reverse light works great, and the three coats of Tamiya smoked clear finishes it off nicely.

-Photo 10;  Here you can see that even my new light I made cant make it look realistic by itself.....it still looks fragile, and toy-like. All that's left to do to finish these off, is to add the rubber seal, lower reflector, and the four screws that hold the assembly in.

DSCF7708.JPG

81023-500-0.jpg

6286794341_fe58e79890_b.jpg

DSCF7713.JPG

DSCF7714.JPG

DSCF7717.JPG

DSCF7721.JPG

DSCF7722.JPG

DSCF7719.JPG

DSCF7718.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier