Model Cars Magazine Forum

Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...Mission Statement

Dann Tier

19 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

You have sooo many on the go, this one's a beaut, and it'll end up a stunner!keep it coming...

Thanks, bud!!, much appreciated!!….and yes I do, but i'm trying to knock a couple out, so that I can go back to only doing two at a time....this one, and a 1/24.

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2018 at 12:08 AM, Dann Tier said:

Its all good, Peter!...I love helping out!!, do you have any photos of yours?...hope to see you building yours soon!!

I finally dug up my old photos (back from 1986, when I built my Lambo).  Back then my modeling skills (or photography) were not up to my today's standards.  Here are scans of the photos of my model - I hope you don't mind me showing them here.

LamboCountachOld01.jpg.29f048d7f8609da55626c2dc15e7a045.jpg

LamboCountachOld02.jpg.b8ba2c32a272cf5f5685bb38cc058846.jpg

LamboCountachOld04_roll9_1986.jpg.d6f9fe033b5b2ad065f4482e8c156032.jpg

LamboCountachOld03.jpg.a084e9a25bb4fcf27251930e9b67fb93.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:22 AM, peteski said:

I finally dug up my old photos (back from 1986, when I built my Lambo).  Back then my modeling skills (or photography) were not up to my today's standards.  Here are scans of the photos of my model - I hope you don't mind me showing them here.

LamboCountachOld01.jpg.29f048d7f8609da55626c2dc15e7a045.jpg

LamboCountachOld02.jpg.b8ba2c32a272cf5f5685bb38cc058846.jpg

LamboCountachOld04_roll9_1986.jpg.d6f9fe033b5b2ad065f4482e8c156032.jpg

LamboCountachOld03.jpg.a084e9a25bb4fcf27251930e9b67fb93.jpg

I don't mind at all, bud......it looks FANTASTIC!!!...Brilliant job!!!

Hey, everyone!, now that the Reventon is done, i'm back at this build, and after these bits are painted, assembly will start moving along pretty quickly I think. Todays task is to mount all these parts for painting...its gonna take a little while, lol

-Photo 1& 2; Since I pre-assembled certain parts, I now need to drill some things out to affix the struts, and torsion bar bits.

-Photo 3 ; I had to eliminate one of the interior buckets contacts since both wouldn't fit properly together.

-Photo 4; Here I show the bigger spaces I cut out for the larger Naca ducts I made.

-Photo 5; After the final clean-up, and sanding of all the annoying bits of framework, I was able to pre-assemble two more supports before painting.

-Photo 6; Using smooth, and hex rods, I begin SB my own bolts for these suspension bits. I made them slightly smaller diameter, to allow for paint thickness.

-Photo 7& 8; You would think that these bonnet pieces would have definite contact points, but they DONT, so I used thin strips of styrene to give me that fit-assurance....you don't wanna get that far in final assembly, and have to start breaking things off to fix!  Yes, they aren't on the real car, but I don't care...1) Its my custom of a real custom, and 2) with the body, belly-pan, and tyres, you wont notice them.

-Photo 9; Pre-assembly of this crossmember just makes life easier.

-Photo 10; Just an upper view of my locator tabs.

-Photo 11; The SB bolts are all ready to go!, I left them a bit longer, so that I could snip them at the exact length during assembly...since I need to make the nuts on the ends with my hex rod.

-Photo 12; Since I glued the front wheel hub assemblies together, I needed to get rid of the lips on all of the ball joint bits, or they would no longer fit in.

-Photo 13; Here you can see the brackets for the front upper control arms. I had to round the inner "humps" to allow the arms to utilize their full range of motion. You can see the difference with the rear one to the right. Only the front ones needed this adjustment.

DSCF8388.JPG

DSCF8389.JPG

DSCF8391.JPG

DSCF8392.JPG

DSCF8393.JPG

DSCF8394.JPG

DSCF8395.JPG

DSCF8396.JPG

DSCF8397.JPG

DSCF8398.JPG

DSCF8399.JPG

DSCF8402.JPG

DSCF8404.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

• 2 weeks later...

Here are all the suspension bits ready for assembly!.....remember, my idea here is a "What-if" Countach made from all the same light weight materials as Horacio Pagani uses on his cars, combined with the actual twin turbo prototype....after all, Horacio did work for Lamborghini for a time.

DSCF8454.JPG

DSCF8456.JPG

DSCF8457.JPG

DSCF8458.JPG

DSCF8459.JPG

DSCF8460.JPG

DSCF8461.JPG

I decided to make lightweight, plastic-composite fuel tanks, and am using a technique that will make them look as if they have fuel in them. The last step that I will do today, will really finish off the look. I use this method for other bits, such as; over flow tanks, washer bottles, master cylinder resivoirs, and white batteries.

DSCF8452.JPG

DSCF8455.JPG

Fuel tanks finished!....other than hoses, and brackets.   On the left, I hand painted Tamiya Flat white on all the hard edges, to give the thicker plastic look, then I blended it all it with Tamiyas weathering Snow from set B. This also gave it the right sheen. On the right, here it is with some grime added...Soot, from set B as well, then I rubbed-in white over the whole thing again, and added panel liner at the fill-necks.

DSCF8467.JPG

Just found this project. Digging it very much, as I have said before, you are an inspiration to building super clean and organized. Good luck with the rest of is WIP. Hope to see the Pantera on the bench again soon. 

1 hour ago, Rider said:

Just found this project. Digging it very much, as I have said before, you are an inspiration to building super clean and organized. Good luck with the rest of is WIP. Hope to see the Pantera on the bench again soon. 

I'm glad you're liking it, bud!!, I will be getting back to the Pantera in a week or two.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 7:15 AM, Funkychiken said:

Coming along quickly now, excellent build and progress!

Thanks, bud!!, hopefully in a few days i can get cracking on it again!....right now my project is getting our second house ready to sell.