[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Dann Tier

Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...Mission Statement

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

Well, there were some photoetched parts available, but not many, and nothing for this specific model.  Plus, I was still a beginner when it came to building models.

At the time what I thought was really cool was the fact that this model seemed super-detailed when compared to other models.  It came with working suspension, spark plug wires, and even illuminated lights!  I mail-ordered it from Model Expo (I was getting their catalog in the mail).  They also ran full-page magazine ads (in FineScale Modeler Magazine) and one of those was specifically about this model and how close it was to the real thing. It enticed me to buy the kit, even though it was quite pricey to me.

The unbuilt model I swapped for, which I own now, is the Testors reboxing of the OTAKI model.  It features a black car (the OTAKI box had a red car on the box).

The one with the marble-looking border?, my older brother has that one, and he was purposely brush painting the whole thing with enamel paints, just to drive me nuts he said!....the two things I hate the most; brush painting, and enamels!...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

The one with the marble-looking border?, my older brother has that one, and he was purposely brush painting the whole thing with enamel paints, just to drive me nuts he said!....the two things I hate the most; brush painting, and enamels!...lol

That's the one.  Black marble-looking box.  While the car looks good in black I will likely do it in red (like my original build), or yellow.  I like the contrast of the black grilles and window frames against the body color. With black body, it all just blends together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peteski said:

.the two things I hate the most; brush painting, and enamels!

I hear ya brother! Unfortunately, that's how I built the one I'm restoring, although I didn't brush paint the body, it was enamel!

Another problem is the amount of that tube glue I used way back then, on this and everything I built! Now a tiny bit of adhesive hold an entire model together!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, peteski said:

That's the one.  Black marble-looking box.  While the car looks good in black I will likely do it in red (like my original build), or yellow.  I like the contrast of the black grilles and window frames against the body color. With black body, it all just blends together.

I agree!, with this car in black, you lose most of the cool visual interest. I'm doing this one in silber with the black accents. My favorite kolors for this car however, is white with the black accents, beige and black interior , and white wheels!....this is how I will do my Aoshima Countach. White is a bugger to paint at 1/24 scale, let alone 1/12...…..screw that!!!...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dino246gt said:

 

That's funny!......but so true!!!    lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

I agree!, with this car in black, you lose most of the cool visual interest. I'm doing this one in silber with the black accents. My favorite kolors for this car however, is white with the black accents, beige and black interior , and white wheels!....this is how I will do my Aoshima Countach. White is a bugger to paint at 1/24 scale, let alone 1/12...…..screw that!!!...lol

Yes, IMO any car looks good in white (especially with black trim and beige interior).  I owned few white cars myself (including my current daily driver).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, peteski said:

Yes, IMO any car looks good in white (especially with black trim and beige interior).  I owned few white cars myself (including my current daily driver).

Hey, Peter!....this ones back on now!!…...hope you will be working on yours again too!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, Peter!....this ones back on now!!…...hope you will be working on yours again too!!!

Nice!  No, mine is mothballed - I have way too many projects going on right now (model cars, model trains, honey-do things, and the list goes on).

I can't wait to see the photos of your progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, peteski said:

Nice!  No, mine is mothballed - I have way too many projects going on right now (model cars, model trains, honey-do things, and the list goes on).

I can't wait to see the photos of your progress.

I just escaped that dreaded list!!...lmao, it nailed me down for a month...….."I'm FREEEEEE!!!!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not been very active on here for awhile.  I have been off of work the last two weeks due to surgery.  I have been on here much more and am finding and taking time to read through some threads.  What I have noticed is you and I have many of the same build interests.  This kit is another one we have in common.  For a long time this was the most expensive kit that I owned, (I actually have the Testors kit).  I doubt I will ever add as much detail as you do but you are an inspiration for what can be done.  I really appreciate the amount of work you put into your builds and even more so, I appreciate how you are willing to share how and what you do to achieve it.

This hobby could use a few more modelers like you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

I have not been very active on here for awhile.  I have been off of work the last two weeks due to surgery.  I have been on here much more and am finding and taking time to read through some threads.  What I have noticed is you and I have many of the same build interests.  This kit is another one we have in common.  For a long time this was the most expensive kit that I owned, (I actually have the Testors kit).  I doubt I will ever add as much detail as you do but you are an inspiration for what can be done.  I really appreciate the amount of work you put into your builds and even more so, I appreciate how you are willing to share how and what you do to achieve it.

This hobby could use a few more modelers like you! 

First off, I wish you a seedy recovery!, secondly; I enjoy seeing your builds too!, and thirdly; What you said really does mean a lot to me, I just love helping people here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally have another update here;  Been working on the gage face, redid the gas peddle lever,  and finished off the shift gate with a reverse lock-out switch. 

DSCF6530.JPG

DSCF6531.JPG

DSCF6532.JPG

DSCF6537.JPG

DSCF6533.JPG

DSCF6534.JPG

DSCF6536.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres some more.....

-The actual lens is from a 1/24 Fujimi 25th Anniv. Countach's rear bumper.....works perfectly!

DSCF6539.JPG

DSCF6542.JPG

DSCF6543.JPG

DSCF6544.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Todays update is about finishing the last couple of parts for the interior.....then its FINALLY paint time!!

-My E-brake handle broke while test fitting, so I have to give it the right angle again before painting, but other than that, im pretty pleased with everything so far.

DSCF6549.JPG

DSCF6550.JPG

DSCF6551.JPG

DSCF6552.JPG

DSCF6555.JPG

DSCF6560.JPG

DSCF6556.JPG

DSCF6558.JPG

DSCF6559.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work Dann.  I haven't built anything larger than 1/20 scale - a Tamiya F1 car I built several years ago.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, afx said:

Great work Dann.  I haven't built anything larger than 1/20 scale - a Tamiya F1 car I built several years ago.   

Thanks, JC!, me either, this is my first ever ANYTHING over 1/24...lol  Its fun so far, and I do have a Fujimi 1/20 Miura to do some day, but this will be my only 1/12, since its my favorite car EVER!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18.7.2018 at 7:28 PM, Jantrix said:

Dann, this is very impressive. The reason I don't do large scale is because (IMHO) it takes a boat load of detail to keep it from looking like a Barbie car. Obviously, you are of the same mind. The boatload is on it's way.

This perfectly makes my point, as far as big scales are concerned. I think those releases have become a bit rare, with maybe some exceptions like the new 1/16 scale Porsche 356 by ROG. At least here in Germany big-scale kits are often regarded as "old men's kits", because their parts are not so small... :D

Dann, your work here is just absolutely stunning and highly enjoyable to follow. Which is what I'll keep doing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, Tommy124 said:

This perfectly makes my point, as far as big scales are concerned. I think those releases have become a bit rare, with maybe some exceptions like the new 1/16 scale Porsche 356 by ROG. At least here in Germany big-scale kits are often regarded as "old men's kits", because their parts are not so small... :D

Dann, your work here is just absolutely stunning and highly enjoyable to follow. Which is what I'll keep doing!

Thanks again, Tommy!....glad you like it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, everybody!, heres a bit of a mock-up before I shoot the primer...….he's ready to go!!

-I had one more adjustment to make.....the shift gate was too high, so I cut out the molded-in base for it, and added my own with styrene strip-stock.....now it has a realistic look!!

DSCF6569.JPG

DSCF6570.JPG

DSCF6572.JPG

DSCF6573.JPG

DSCF6574.JPG

DSCF6575.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scalper said:

interior looking pretty cool so far

Thanks, Andre!....I cant wait till theres kolor on it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang! I was going to list this car, with two other of the huge 1/12 kits (the Porsche and the Benz), but you maybe make me change my mind!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Dang! I was going to list this car, with two other of the huge 1/12 kits (the Porsche and the Benz), but you maybe make me change my mind!!!!

Wow!!, thanks, Gregg!, I hope you do!, they are FANTASTIC models to build!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great Dann.

 

Sorry to go off topic,

Please message me, I tried to PM you, "says you can't receive messages."

Trevor

Edited by porschercr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now