Model Cars Magazine Forum

Otaki 1/12 Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo...Mission Statement

Dann Tier

First, I needed to SB the side vents, so using the opening to make a template, I made the two parts, and glued theme in place with canopy glue. This served two purposes; 1) it made it easier to sand the top edges to match the top of the hood, and 2) it will help act as a hinge in a later step.

DSCF7731.JPG

DSCF7732.JPG

Before I made the ridges, I made a template of the openings to help me make these vent covers. First was to make strips that go half way across the openings, then make a full piece, and glue them together. With the top side facing down, I I scored the plastic twice, going half way through, using the half piece as a built-in straight edge. It was now time to carefully bend them up at a slight angle...about the thickness of the styrene. To keep it from breaking, or flattening out again, I used super glue to fill the cut -two applications.

DSCF7727.JPG

DSCF7728.JPG

Time to finish off these side vents...First, I carefully used my Olfa blade to separate the top contacts, then removed the canopy glue residue. I then used rectangular styrene stock as the 6 spacers...only gluing them to the hood itself, NOT the sides of the vents. They will need to be removed, cleaned from all the canopy glue, and then glued in place. The side vents need to be blended in where they contact the hood. I will be sniping-off the excess on the spacers, when its all done.

DSCF7739.JPG

DSCF7738.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

I love this forum but I hate it that these "Big Boys" large-scale car builds are a in a completely different topic/ thread, one in which I rarely drop by. 

So I missed out again on a lot of your great progress, Dann. I don't know what to write about that anymore. Simply SB sensation!! :D

I like your idea about modifying the "bull" and I will follow your WIP more regularly now!

19 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

I love this forum but I hate it that these "Big Boys" large-scale car builds are a in a completely different topic/ thread, one in which I rarely drop by. 

So I missed out again on a lot of your great progress, Dann. I don't know what to write about that anymore. Simply SB sensation!! :D

I like your idea about modifying the "bull" and I will follow your WIP more regularly now!

Thanks, bud!!….glad to have you along!!

15 hours ago, cobraman said:

Coming along great ! One of my favorite cars although I do prefer the 400 without the flares and wing.

Thanks, Ray!!, the Countach is my favorite car of all time, but only 1977+, with all the flares, and wing!!, my favorite being the1988 5000 QV.

On 16.2.2019 at 11:53 AM, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, Ray!!, the Countach is my favorite car of all time, but only 1977+, with all the flares, and wing!!, my favorite being the1988 5000 QV.

I like 'em all... Basically, there are 3 Countach types to me: the original LP400, the "winged" 5000 type 80's car and the "final edition" 25th Anniversary car. The Anniversary type - done:  

The other 2 will be done yet, probably in the shape of the brilliant Aoshima kits which I'd prefer over the Fujimis EM's anytime:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aoshima-046708-lamborghini-countach-lp400--196412

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aoshima-01155-lamborghini-countach-5000-quattrovalvole-injection-ver-overseas--1030685

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:50 AM, Tommy124 said:

I like 'em all... Basically, there are 3 Countach types to me: the original LP400, the "winged" 5000 type 80's car and the "final edition" 25th Anniversary car. The Anniversary type - done:  

The other 2 will be done yet, probably in the shape of the brilliant Aoshima kits which I'd prefer over the Fujimis EM's anytime:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aoshima-046708-lamborghini-countach-lp400--196412

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aoshima-01155-lamborghini-countach-5000-quattrovalvole-injection-ver-overseas--1030685

I love the 25th as well!!, I wish Aoshima made one!!, and you are right, Aoshima IS the best for Countach's!!….even without a complete motor!!!   its designed in a way thet with proper detailing, it WILL look real!!   I will be building mine as soon as I get the Miura, and Reventon done.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:35 AM, dino246gt said:

That NACA vent mod is perfect!

I like the LP400 best, simple and clean.

I love restomods, and your version, besides being greatly improved over the kit, is a dream restomod!

I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks a lot, Dennis!!, I will be getting back to this one again shortly!