Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 GMC Ultimate Weekend Warrior GBP

This is my entry in the Ultimate Weekend Warrior group build. The vehicle had to be a daily driver with offroad capabilities. I started with a GMC plow truck that had been robbed of its plow and bed. I built a flatbed out of diamond plate and Evergreen pieces. I added a rollbar, a bed mounted fuel tank, a tool box, and a welder with a lead rack. I used the gun rack from the camo truck. I also robbed the engine from an early 2000's NASCAR kit. The wheels are from the Fall Guy kit, I also used the fan blower motor from that kit and added the AC evaporator and master cylinder.

20180701_190940.thumb.jpg.32b240b6eed9b3a0a5b7250c8c9bff4e.jpg20180701_191028.thumb.jpg.7f7d96e8c67643e2d25339f45b377993.jpg20180701_191104.thumb.jpg.eead7c4688f5e3790e76b09ea5f4d4c4.jpg20180701_191133.thumb.jpg.ee9c2d669adb47f4f9d4c593c6039293.jpg

That is a great looking work truck. I have seen guys with rigs around here that do welding in remote locals, job sights, Farms, Big Rigs stuck out on the highway that need something welded to get rolling again. Very realistic detailing on the tools and wires and clamps. I like the way you designed the Flat Bed.  

• 3 weeks later...

Outstanding build, but I don't fully understand it.  As a work truck it makes perfect sense and your attention to detail really brings it alive.  It's just for a weekend warrior I don't get why you would want a welding rig instead of room for camping, fishing gear, canoe, etc. Not knocking it by any means, more looking for an education not an explanation, if that makes sense.  

However you slice it, it's an impressive job, I'm gonna have to go check out the rest of your build posts.  Thanks for sharing it.

f.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:05 PM, FredRPG said:

Outstanding build, but I don't fully understand it.  As a work truck it makes perfect sense and your attention to detail really brings it alive.  It's just for a weekend warrior I don't get why you would want a welding rig instead of room for camping, fishing gear, canoe, etc. Not knocking it by any means, more looking for an education not an explanation, if that makes sense.  

However you slice it, it's an impressive job, I'm gonna have to go check out the rest of your build posts.  Thanks for sharing it.

f.

I guess I wanted everything I would need to get myself back home if anything broke or I had to recover the truck. I'm not really outdoorsy do I didn't really think of camping gear or things like that. It makes sense now that you mention it.

9 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Really tough looking truck, especially like the bed.  The only thing I see missing is painting that beautiful welder blue and putting a Miller decal on it - I used Miller welders during my stint in the USAF and really loved them.

I was originally going to paint it blue for a bit of color because the body was going to be gray primer before I went with red oxide and white. Once I went a different way with the body I used gray for the welder since it looks more like a Lincoln unit.