Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 917K 1970 Le Mans Winner

Gluebomber

This is a model of the first Le Mans winner for Porsche, the 917K driven by Richard Attwood and Hans Hermann in 1970.  It's the Fujimi kit with the Historic Racing Miniatures engine, a corrected rear body section by Renaissance, some p/e details and decals from Studio 27, and a number of scratchbuilt and parts box details added to the engine compartment.  Overall, the the added details went together well with the base kit, but unfortunately the engine cover doesn't fit as well as I'd like.  This isn't a huge problem for me because I plan to display the model with the back end opened up, but I want to put the cover back on occasionally to show off the car's great lines.  

The model is far from perfect, but I was glad to add this important car to my shelf.  All comments and constructive criticism are welcome.  Thanks for looking!

917K .01.JPG

917K .02.JPG

917K .03.JPG

917K .05.JPG

917K .06.JPG

917K .07.JPG

A stunning build!  Paint and decal work is excellent, and the added details to the engine and engine bay are simple outstanding!  Please answer a couple of quick questions for me; how many cylinders are inside that motor, and how many plug wires are there for each cylinder?  I can see two different distributors; I'm assuming one for each side of the engine... correct?