Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Check your hobby lobby. I just scored a paasche h airbrush set for $25!! Didn’t need it but who could pass that up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the same thing Saturday. Might be time to retire my faithful but tired Badger 350. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine for $25 a week and a half ago.. then checked back a week later and got the Paasche VL for $34.  I think I am set.  They didn't have the VL out the first time.

Edited by jchrisf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, magicmustang said:

Yep, I got a VL this morning for $35 at my local HL. Now I need to get a compressor.

I know a lot of people say this is the ultimate sin but I got the cheap harbor freight airbrush compressor. I picked up a pressure regulator while I was there and a few fittings from Home Depot. It’s been almost two years and it hasn’t failed me yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The store I was at had three VLs for $34 each plus replacement needle valves. I'm set although more than likely I'll sell two of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magicmustang said:

Yep, I got a VL this morning for $35 at my local HL. Now I need to get a compressor.

I bought a (relatively) inexpensive Campbell-Hausfeld with tank and regulator at Walmart in 2002, and was out the door for well under $100. It is still going strong and if it blew up tomorrow, I'd go buy another one (and I think Walmart's price on them is even lower now). I've often said that the day I brought that thing home was the happiest day of my adult modeling life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magicmustang said:

Yep, I got a VL this morning for $35 at my local HL. Now I need to get a compressor.

Check your Michael’s. Mine has a Badger compressor in the cage up front by the registers, marked “Clearance”.  $99, regular $249.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paasches at bargain prices?  You lucky guys in the US!

Paasche never really seemed to promote their air brushes much to model makers, even though one of the very oldest manufacturers dating back to the 1920's I think. Way back in the 70's when air brushes became the newest must have model making accessory, Thayer and Chandler, Paasche and Badger flew the the US flag and DeVilbiss in the UK with their Aerograph range. Badger seemed to latch onto the model making market first whilst the other 3 still aimed at the Graphic Design market. Many good and not so good airbrushes have appeared since.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The steep discounting on these and other products makes me wonder if Hobby Lobby is stepping away from those products. I hope not, but still it makes me wonder about that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, espo said:

The steep discounting on these and other products makes me wonder if Hobby Lobby is stepping away from those products. I hope not, but still it makes me wonder about that.  

The girl who got mine out of the case told me it was on "closeout." Dunno if that meant just that model, or all Paasche, or all airbrushes. I don't think ALL the airbrushes or their accessories were marked down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They just opened a Hobby Lobby in a city relatively close by (about an hour away- would have to drive almost 2 hours before this store opened). They had Iwata airbrushes and a few Iwata accessories in stock, but absolutely no Paasche of any kind, if that tells you anything.

I scored a Paasche internal mix airbrush on sale at a local hobby shop back in the 80's so I wouldn't necessarily have picked up this deal, but the price is awfully tempting.

Edited by gman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good deal for those that are wanting to get into A/B or just need a cheap A/B,  for me, I will passing, I dont have anything nice to say about the VL series A/B and Passche customer service.

 

 

Edited by martinfan5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 7:15 AM, espo said:

The steep discounting on these and other products makes me wonder if Hobby Lobby is stepping away from those products. I hope not, but still it makes me wonder about that.  

Keep in mind that all retailers do this, if products are not selling , they close them out and stop carrying them, why keep wasting money on inventory that isnt moving, this is probably just simple retail 101, if it isnt selling then stop carrying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one of this airbrushs had it for almost 40 years and never had a problem with it. Jonathan you have no idea what your talking about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, Snake45 said:

The girl who got mine out of the case told me it was on "closeout." Dunno if that meant just that model, or all Paasche, or all airbrushes. I don't think ALL the airbrushes or their accessories were marked down.

At the HL here all the Paasche stuff was marked down, but not the Iwata airbrushes and air-accessories.   I'm not really in the market for a new airbrush but can't resist checking out good deals. 

For general airbrush work I still like the Aztek (though I'm in a minority on that one). When my Aztek died last year after long service, including several disassemblies/repairs, I used a Michael's 50% off coupon to get a new one.  For really fine work, several years ago a friend who managed a hobby shop sold me a Sotar 20/20 (Badger) airbrush for about 75% off retail. It still works great. With the right mix of thinner/paint and air, it can crank down to incredibly thin lines and patterns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, John Pol said:

I have one of this airbrushs had it for almost 40 years and never had a problem with it. Jonathan you have no idea what your talking about

Yes, I know for a fact Exactly what I am talking about John, and please, do not ever again say to me I do not know what I am talking about, that is just rude and uncalled for.  You have no idea what you think I dont know what I am talking about because I never explained the issues I had.  I  had nothing but issues with the VL brush, it spent more time not working then it did working, the customer service was just as bad as the A/B, horrid is a word I would use,  lets put it this way John my cheap $20 Harbor Freight A/B I was using at the time worked better than the VL brush, it, the HF brush never broke, or stopped working, I cant say that for what was a $100 A/B at the time.

 

 

Edited by martinfan5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mike999 said:

At the HL here all the Paasche stuff was marked down, but not the Iwata airbrushes and air-accessories.   I'm not really in the market for a new airbrush but can't resist checking out good deals. 

For general airbrush work I still like the Aztek (though I'm in a minority on that one). When my Aztek died last year after long service, including several disassemblies/repairs, I used a Michael's 50% off coupon to get a new one.  For really fine work, several years ago a friend who managed a hobby shop sold me a Sotar 20/20 (Badger) airbrush for about 75% off retail. It still works great. With the right mix of thinner/paint and air, it can crank down to incredibly thin lines and patterns. 

You would be surprised,  a lot of people swear by the Aztek Brush , I know some really good builders that use it and get amazing finishes with it.

Edited by martinfan5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...