Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Ford Mustang Grande

Chromecop

This is my latest build.

The real car was sold by the bolivian or brazilian ambassador in sweden, to a swedish police officer, in 1972 or -73. Then, in late August 1973 a bank robbery took place in Stockholm/Sweden. The robber, Jan Olsson, made demands for a fast getaway car and also wanted the police to release another well-known bank-robber, Clark Olofsson, out of jail along with a big ransome for the hostage he kept in the bank vault. The swedish police officer offered his personal car, The Mustang, to be used as getaway-car. 

I built this Mustang using the last re-issue of the old 1972 Mustang Fastback and a re-issued 1972 Mercury Cougar for the roof. The hubcaps were built by combining custom wheels from a 1958 AMT Chevy Impala and the hubcaps from a 1950 Ford.

07910.jpg

07310.jpg

07210.jpg

Let me be the first to say excellent job on the conversion.  There is a resin body available Motor City resin casters with the grille and chrome bumper and flat style hood to make a coupe if one wants to avoid all the scratch building.  If you look at the grille area of any 71-73 Mustang the only body color you will see is the fender caps and hood trim (unless it is chrome like this one).  The grille area is either dark grey/silver or black. Technicallly all Grandes had the vinyl roof but not every Mustang with a vinyl roof was a Grande.  There was even a vinyl roof on some sportsroof models.  You nailed the hubcaps and even added the turn signals which most would over look.  The letters on the trunk only appeared on 71's. Nice touch on the mud flaps and reflectors.  it is always nice to see a well built 71-73 Mustang.

IMG_2588.PNG

IMG_2589.PNG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Very nice. How did you do the hubcaps?

I used the custom-wheels from an AMT 1958 Impala and combined them with stock hubs from an AMT 1950 Ford (they say FORD instead of Mustang, but the overall look is close enough for me)

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Yes, it looks like a lion but could also be a police decal. I asked the policeman Kenth Svensson but he doesn't remember ... I have contacted the Brazil embassy who bought the car new in Sweden. Waiting for answer.

Magnus, do you have a website or photos of your restoration work?  I would enjoying following your progress.

• 2 weeks later...