Model Cars Magazine Forum

hobby lobby

Hit one store and left with 12 kits. Hit 3 more stores 5 days later on my home from my VA appointments. Days total was 8 more kits plus a few paint items, some knife blades, miter box, etc? Never thought to check the paint or airbrush items, or I would have gotten the 2 Paasche items. Should give me some products for the workbench as soon as my back let's me move comfortably. Hate just laying in bed other than the necessary trips to the bathroom. Thank goodness it is not a very far walk. 

I went to the Morgan Hill, CA Hobby Lobby yesterday and I did not seen any clearance kits.  I guess I just missed it.  About one third of the model car kit shelves are empty.  I am curious to see which new AMT kits they are going to stock. 

I stopped by the Bakersfield HL yesterday. They had one Revell 914 on clearance, a few cans of paint and about 1/3 of the shelves empty. I've noticed that the Revell kits are not being re-stocked. I bought the Last Revell Ford Bronco, and the last of the 914's  Not sure when I'll see another Bronco, and the 40% coupon made it worth my time.

I opened the 914. Wow, what a Flash riddled mess. I've not seen anything this bad in ages.............. The decals and tires are very nice, however. I may just throw it together and see what I get. It is firmly lodged in "Sow's Ear" territory, though.

Update: My Hobby Lobby started stocking the new stuff. Saw the ‘40 Ford sedan, International Scout, Gear Hustler and the Super Hawk bike. More to come soon as there was a lady installing the new stickers in the many empty slots...

In addition to the auto subjects mentioned above they're also carrying Airfix aircraft kits for those who are interested such as myself. I was told by the hobby department girl that they're replacing some of the Revell subjects. They had a nice selection of WWII kits. She also mentioned that she had more Round 2 cars coming but didn't know what kits as of yet.

21 hours ago, JimC said:

Update: My Hobby Lobby started stocking the new stuff. Saw the ‘40 Ford sedan, International Scout, Gear Hustler and the Super Hawk bike. More to come soon as there was a lady installing the new stickers in the many empty slots...

Interesting. I stopped at the Hobby Lobby today in Anderson, SC.  None of those kits were in yet.  But the big sale is DEFINITELY over. All the kits that were marked down to $7.99, like the '76 Torino and '57 Ford, are back up to the regular prices.

Also hit an Ollie's.  It still had quite a few kits: Danica Patrick Fords, Lindberg Dodge L-700s (chrome tanker and car hauler with '40 Ford) and Bugatti.  The pre-painted '14 Mustang.  And the usual clutter of Lindberg pirate ships, aircraft and Kettenkrads.

16 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

In addition to the auto subjects mentioned above they're also carrying Airfix aircraft kits for those who are interested such as myself.

I'd love it if they'd carry some of the newer Airfix 1/48 stuff, like the P-51D and the Sea Fury. (Very little chance of the latter, I suspect.)

57 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'd love it if they'd carry some of the newer Airfix 1/48 stuff, like the P-51D and the Sea Fury. (Very little chance of the latter, I suspect.)

Same here. I recently picked up the Airfix 1/48 Gloster Meteor F8 on sale and it looks really great. Complete with removable engine covers and engines.

Speaking of sales, I don't want to start another thread so I'll just drop this here:  Hobbylinc.com is having its usual weekly sale.  Lots of aircraft, armor and aftermarket stuff. But I thought this board might be interested in these.  (I have no connection to HobbyLinc, other than being a customer):

AMT #AMT756 2012 Corvette Coupe $9.05

Revell-Monogram #RMX851972 Ford Expedition Police SNAP $9.05

Revell-Monogram #RMX854922 Ed Roth "Tweedy Pie" $16.82

Diopark #DIO35018 German Civilian Car w/living supplies $27.73 - this one is the wrong scale, in 1/35.  ONE-THIRTY-FIFTH.  But it's a model of a 4-door Mercedes W123, and all 4 doors and the trunk open. Original retail on this one was $50-60 or even more, so that's a great price.  It comes with a roof rack and a good selection of "living supplies" including suitcases and duffel bags.

Earlier I went to the LHS near Hobby Lobby in Bayshore and picked up a can of Tamiya Clear Red. Then made a stop at that HL to look for more $7.49 kits, and in a bizarre case whatever clearance kits left that were on the shelves got strangely brought back to 29.99 MSRP??? And what's even weirder was in the actual clearance section in the back of the store,  there were still 3 Revell 914s marked $7.49. Whats up with that????

Edited by RickRollerLT1

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Just got back from HL. MANY holes in the model car wall, but amazingly, they had three Airfix airplanes! P-40B and P-51D in 1/48, and P-40B in 1/72. 

Price on the P-51D was $29.99. Took it and my 40% off coupon up, and the total bill was under $16 with tax. THAT didn't seem right, so I looked at the receipt. They're having a 50% off sale on all "toys and hobbies." Too bad I couldn't think of one other car still on their shelves that I needed another one of $15 worth. Oh well, I'm still putting this in the "Good Day" column. B)

41 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Snake... I just checked the weekly flyer and that is not listed.  Wonder if it is just your store?

There were no signs or stickers or anything. I only found out about it because I looked at the receipt. 

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Just got back from HL. MANY holes in the model car wall, but amazingly, they had three Airfix airplanes! P-40B and P-51D in 1/48, and P-40B in 1/72. 

Price on the P-51D was $29.99. Took it and my 40% off coupon up, and the total bill was under $16 with tax. THAT didn't seem right, so I looked at the receipt. They're having a 50% off sale on all "toys and hobbies." Too bad I couldn't think of one other car still on their shelves that I needed another one of $15 worth. Oh well, I'm still putting this in the "Good Day" column. B)

I ran over to HL to check on that 50% off sale.  It's only a short drive. I badly needed a pizza anyway, and Pizza Hut is right beside HL.

Two employees said they weren't having a 50% sale. They wondered if your 50% off was a mistake at the store, but otherwise didn't have a clue.  This store also has no Airfix kits yet. But since yours does, I'm hoping they show up in this store.  This store has the Hobby Boss 1/48 scale UH-1C Huey helicopter. But that's a really basic kit for beginners, so I didn't bother.

42 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I ran over to HL to check on that 50% off sale.  It's only a short drive. I badly needed a pizza anyway, and Pizza Hut is right beside HL.

Two employees said they weren't having a 50% sale. They wondered if your 50% off was a mistake at the store, but otherwise didn't have a clue.  This store also has no Airfix kits yet. But since yours does, I'm hoping they show up in this store.  This store has the Hobby Boss 1/48 scale UH-1C Huey helicopter. But that's a really basic kit for beginners, so I didn't bother.

I defo would say badly if yer eating at Pizza Hut...LOL