Model Cars Magazine Forum

hobby lobby

23 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Noticed last night that the Sunday Chicago Tribune did not carry the HL ad it usually does on the back of the Life & Style section (after I tossed the rest in the recycle barrel and put the barrel out). Did anyone else spot it in the Trib?

It was in the online version I read everyday. It was near the sports section, IIRC. There were no models on sale but the 40% off coupon was in the ad.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, Maindrian Pace said:

I was just at a local HL. Three employees were remodeling the model aisle...

Must be a trend.  Same here today in the Seneca SC store, 3 young women tearing apart the model aisle.   I asked what was up.  One said: "We're adding more scale models."  Yay!

5 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Must be a trend.  Same here today in the Seneca SC store, 3 young women tearing apart the model aisle.   I asked what was up.  One said: "We're adding more scale models."  Yay!

Same here, only it was one girl working on the paint side, and the manager on the model side.

At one of our local Hobby Lobby's today I noticed all the airbrushes and compressors were marked way down.
I picked up some Paasche air brush parts for dirt cheap. Jar lids with gaskets were 39 cents, and I got a couple of needles and tips for 1.99 each. The needles were normally 7.99 each. The air brushes were the Iwata ones.

Edited by Jimmy Wilson

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Drove past the local Hobby Lobby on my Sunday  Walmart  / beer  run.  I caught the light and noticed the empty parking lot, but in the short time I was at the light a couple of cars cruised close to the door.  They could do a grand business on Sundays!

Hobby Lobby's owner chose to close all of his stores based on his personal religious beliefs. I remember reading that his feeling was that his employees should have the day to observe their beliefs also and so he closed his stores on Sunday. Virtually my entire working life was spent in retail and that meant that you almost never got a weekend off unless you were looking for a job. So I applaud any employer who places the well being of his employees before what little additional income he might realize with the workers toiling day in and day out and miss out on family weekends and the ability to go to their place of worship if that is what they want to do on Sunday. Not going to Hobby Lobby on Sunday hasn't changed my life one bit, but I would bet it has meant a great deal to his employees.           

3 hours ago, Bucky said:

We have a chain of BBQ restaurants locally that close on Sundays. I have no problem with that. When I was a mere lad, most businesses were closed on Sunday.

Yes, when I was young, almost everything was closed on Sunday. I applaud them (and others) for their choice

9 hours ago, espo said:

Hobby Lobby's owner chose to close all of his stores based on his personal religious beliefs. I remember reading that his feeling was that his employees should have the day to observe their beliefs also and so he closed his stores on Sunday. Virtually my entire working life was spent in retail and that meant that you almost never got a weekend off unless you were looking for a job. So I applaud any employer who places the well being of his employees before what little additional income he might realize with the workers toiling day in and day out and miss out on family weekends and the ability to go to their place of worship if that is what they want to do on Sunday. Not going to Hobby Lobby on Sunday hasn't changed my life one bit, but I would bet it has meant a great deal to his employees.           

I too have spent 10+ years working in retail. It sucks. As much of my time was as a manager i had every other weekend off but the weekends i worked i would work friday noon to 10pm, saturday 10am-10pm, sunday 7:30am-8:00pm.  Keep in mind the later time is when the store closes so usually we would be out about 30 minutes later.  Once in a great while a truck would show up just before closing and we would have to unload it and get it out on the floor for stocking.  So that would be an hour or longer.  Luckily, I'm out now. I probably took a little loss in annual income but its worth it. 

Made my first trip to Hobby Lobby in a long time.  All the shelves were stocked with the newer releases but I was kind of shocked by the current prices. I was mainly interested in picking up some paint and they had mostly Model Masters and only Tamiya spray paint was primer, the red Tamiya came from the hobby shop.  I treated my self to a new cutting mat and over in the doll house section a big sheet of flooring.  I also bought a Revel SnapTite kit of the 2017 Ford GT.

HL_100_0993.jpg.536bdef0890b41238504e41b2b3f1c03.jpg

On the way home I stopped at the Rite Aid drug store and had a pleasant surprise,  a Welly Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione and a 1969 Capri 1600 GT each for $9.99.  It was a good day.

5b76b2c4d8b43_Alfasm_0995.jpg.6fd823f2408d72843405ebf9cf20c954.jpg

100_0997.JPG

Edited by Gramps46
duplication

8 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Yes, when I was young, almost everything was closed on Sunday. I applaud them (and others) for their choice

Back in the day there were a lot of counties that had the Sunday closing laws.  Most of those laws fell as big chains moved in, stating it was religion based and therefore unconstitutional.  Bergen County, NJ still does.  I don't know how they have been able to sustain it, Paramus Mall which was the first mall in the USA and one of the largest is there.

In New York City you will find businesses owned by Orthodox Jews closed on Saturday as that is their religious observation. 

Had errands to run in town, so swung by the Hobby Lobby in Seneca, SC.  Some new car kits had sneaked in, like the '66 Fairlane and '70 Vette LT-1/ZR-1.  So if some of the new stuff isn't in your store yet, it should be soon.  Seneca is a very small town, and probably near the bottom of the HL food chain.

A little off-topic, but I finally saw something Snake has been talking about:  the first Airfix aircraft kits I've ever seen in a Hobby Lobby.  This store only had the 1/48 scale P-40B and P-51D, and a single 1/72 scale P-51.  More to come, I hope.

Weekends:  When I worked in Saudi Arabia, the weekend was Thursday & Friday.  In Egypt it was Friday & Saturday.  Foreigners adjust pretty quickly to that.  In Saudi Arabia everything closes on Fri. for the Prayer Calls, and you do not want to be out on the street then.  The Religious Police roam around harassing people.  If you ever go on a tour to Egypt, beware of scammers telling you the Pyramids, Egyptian Museum or whatever is "closed for Prayer Call." Nothing closes for Prayer Call in Egypt.  The scammer is trying to lure you to his cousin's (outrageously overpriced ) souvenir store, rug emporium, etc.

My HL had the 66 Fairlane and the Coke Cameo, also had camo and flip flop paint. Paint section was pretty well wiped out but he said he was waiting on the chart to show the new colors coming in. The clearance section had a few kits and a few cans of paint. Picked up the only can of gloss gray for $1.24 to use on a future project.

Stopped at a Hobby Lobby today in Easley, SC.  It had several kits on the shelf that are currently being touted as "RARE!!!" on eBay, including the Baja Scout and stock '70 Charger.  It also had the '85 Olds 442/FE-3X, '40 Ford sedan and other newbies.  Nothing clearance priced.  But like the store closest to me, this one is now carrying Airfix aircraft kits.

5 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Stopped at a Hobby Lobby today in Easley, SC.  It had several kits on the shelf that are currently being touted as "RARE!!!" on eBay, including the Baja Scout and stock '70 Charger.  It also had the '85 Olds 442/FE-3X, '40 Ford sedan and other newbies.  Nothing clearance priced.  But like the store closest to me, this one is now carrying Airfix aircraft kits.

a lot of people looking for that olds. 

Stopped at the local HL Friday afternoon. The had the '40 Ford, the '65 Elky, the stock Revell Bronco, and a couple of the new Airfix planes. Still no '66 Mercury yet, though.

They did have the Reound2 Scout SSII Roadster, and one of those went home with me.