Model Cars Magazine Forum

Food Dehydrators & Paint Dryers

I have the same one Terry does. Had it for about 8 years and it works great. I painted a 65 Dodge 2 weeks ago with Testers little bottle enamel, put it in the Nesco @ about 110 degrees for 12 hours, let it sit out for 12 more hours and then color sanded it.

I have twice found dehydrators at yard sales... but neither one had a thermostat. So I used Mike's photos, and a few trips to the hardware store until I had a regulator. I also drilled several 3/8" holes in the lid, and use one of them to hold the oven thermometer so I can keep it at a steady 105º

• 2 months later...

if it cost $300 ill try to do it for $30 ... today im biulding a paint dryer ....take a dehydrator....mines a amer harvestor ..cut the core out of 3 rings ..cover the intake with foam filter///it must have a fan and temp control... and it will be dust free/// dont set temp over 100 or it mite melt... i havent tryed it yet //good luck

I dont know about this one, I'd have to see it in action. I like to let my paints naturally gas out. but in theory I guess it could work. But on your next how to treat us to some photos and step by steps. Thx for sharing your ideas. :rolleyes:

Edited by Aftashox

Out of curiosity I just checked Harbor Freight and they have a five tier one on sale for 21.95 normally 24.95.

I just might have to try that one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-tier-food-dehydrator-66906.html

No fan, and more importantly, no thermostat. I wonder how hot it gets. Target carries what looks like the same one for $40. I was thinking about buying a small fish tank and using it as a "clean room" (just flip it uside down over the model that was just painted), and let it gas-out normally.

BTW, is this even necessary with lacquer?

I've had one of these Nesco dehydrators for years and got it for under $40 during hunting season. Lowest temp setting is 95 degrees on mine. I've got an extra set of trays. Half have the centers cut out for bodies and assemblies, the other half are original. I've left it running at 95 degrees for years at a time with absolutely no harm whatsoever to anything inside.

Nesco Dehydrator

I use our dryer at work. it has fan and temp control from 50* all the way to 400* (we cure resins and carbon/composite laminates). I set the body in there and let it dry all shift (10 hours) at anywhere between 100*-105* and have had good luck. My Hot Wheels bodies.......I have had those to 150*, and let me tell you that Testors brand paints become silly smooth and shiny when dried at that temp for that long on a die-cast!

• 1 month later...

amer harvest dehydrator fd60 ... cut out the center of the trays... cover air intakes with a foam filter to stop dust ..my kw 600 just beary fits(built)with out frt bumber....has fan and heater ..NEVER NEVER HEAT OVER 100...THANK GOD FOR YARD SALES ...$2 lololloollloooool STILL LOOKING FOR FAN FOR $30.00 (under the bed paint booth) jr

Edited by mr cheap

That's awesome. I have been reading about people using dehydrators as paint driers but I don't know anyone that actually does it so I have been a bit scared to try it myself.

I use a Nesco American Harvest dehydrator and I have to tell ya, it's one of the best investments I've made in my hobby so far. Set it to 105 degrees and let it run over night, and my paint is ready to be rubbed out. Takes the 'sit down and wait ' factor right out of the painting-finishing part of the hobby! I recommend one of these to anyone who builds.

I've had a Nesco with the trays cut out for years and love it. I'll usually leave it as low as it goes (95 F) and let it do its thing. I've never once had any issues with softening plastic or resin.

I've been using one now a couple years and it's one of the best tricks I ever learned. Mine don't have a fan but i've never had a problem with it. I use clothes pins clipped onto the top tray to set the lid on where it's above the roof of the car and it keeps the temp just right and still dries the paint very good overnight. :o

• 2 months later...

I just got a used hydrator from eBay I'm going to dedicate to drying my paint jobs. It's round, and is essentially 4 discs that are stacked on one another. Each disc is about 1.5" tall, and has a diameter of about 15". Each disc contains a tray, that has a lot of vents in it, to let the air through. The tray and the disc are one unit. Of course, there' a fan at the top and a heater.

I'm trying to figure out how to modify this to use as a paint-dryer. The best idea I've come up with so far is to get some type of aluminum sheet I can fashion into a cylinder, around two of the discs, and join them somehow-- maybe with epoxy or even duct tape. I'm guessing it would need to be around6" tall. Because there is no way I can squeeze a model car between those thin, 2" layers of trays. I'm wondering if this is what's typically done.

What are some of they ways you guys have used to convert the dehydrator into a paint dryer? Any help will be appreciated. Some photos would really help.

Thanks in advance!

amer harvest dehydrator fd60 ... cut out the center of the trays... cover air intakes with a foam filter to stop dust ..my kw 600 just beary fits(built)with out frt bumber....has fan and heater ..NEVER NEVER HEAT OVER 100...THANK GOD FOR YARD SALES ...$2 lololloollloooool STILL LOOKING FOR FAN FOR $30.00 (under the bed paint booth) jr

I just bout an American Harvest dehydrator on eBay. What did you use to cut out the centers of the trays? And what kind of foam did you use for the filter-- where did you get it?

cheap pastic use a pensel.. puddy knife..what ever. hardware store a/c faom fillter ..note dont get too hot keep it under 105 (heat)....ebay old paint 1/2 price but use a paint shaker $50.00 (jewery cleaner ) works great for a $1 but it takes longer... and a pr of pantie hose to fillter..

I bought one for 5 bucks at a thrift shop..and tried modifying it with a dimmer switch to control the heat. I'm no electrician so it was a pain in the ass and a little dangerous. Especially when I plugged it in the first time and and purdy blue spark shot straight up from the outlet and tripped the circuit breaker! I went out and spent 40 bucks on a Nesco American Harvest, has it's own temp control. Works like a charm. Even warms up my build room during the winter!