Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits with Tubular chassis ( frames ) for YOUR next hot rod.

As mentioned in Bob Grainger's "Odds & Ends 2018 " thread,    http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/134175-odds-ends-july-2018/     there are quit a few kits with good donor tube frames. 

I didn't list all that I could think of and certainly there are some I missed so, here's what I have so far with a few examples ( all from the interweb:P)

images (4).jpg

img_3.jpg

AMT977-2.jpg

download (1).jpg

Denny_McLain%27s_Horse_Hide_Hauler_Model_Car_Kits_6a9f7149-0da2-4acd-86e3-bae64801b06b.JPG

8 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

These much maligned kits can give you some nice chassis if not their weird bodies. 

images (3).jpg  image.jpeg.a39c4a0abb137ee0d018d9b27a18ad02.jpeg  image.jpeg.e94931707d60a130f26cd383eb86f516.jpeg  image.jpeg.2f25ad044cac20b407a20f1e582fa7b4.jpeg

The bodies on the T kits are CORRECTLY SCALED. They fit AMT kit parts of the same vintage vehicle very well indeed. The tube chassis are NICE.

The engines however, Ford smallblocks, are significantly under-scale...and for no good reason. A correctly-scaled smallblock Ford will fit in the engine bays. It's very tight, just as it is on a real one, but it WILL fit.

The '33-'34 body, however, is a joke. It's so under-scale as to be appropriate for a '34 Fiat.

A '33-'34 Ford is a MUCH LARGER CAR than a T, so how anyone thought that shrinking the later body down to the T dimensions was a good idea escapes me.

I just picked up a Surf Woody at Hobby Lobby for $7.50. I had no interest at all in the actual car and bought it because it's such a treasure chest of parts like the tube chassis, Paxton superchargers, and some very cool double stripe white wall tires. Definitely pick one up if you see it on clearance.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

The bodies on the T kits are CORRECTLY SCALED. They fit AMT kit parts of the same vintage vehicle very well indeed. The tube chassis are NICE.

The engines however, Ford smallblocks, are significantly under-scale...and for no good reason. A correctly-scaled smallblock Ford will fit in the engine bays. It's very tight, just as it is on a real one, but it WILL fit.

The '33-'34 body, however, is a joke. It's so under-scale as to be appropriate for a '34 Fiat.

A '33-'34 Ford is a MUCH LARGER CAR than a T, so how anyone thought that shrinking the later body down to the T dimensions was a good idea escapes me.

Just a quick comment that Bill and I have somewhat different views on that issue of underscale Ford engine blocks in the Revell Buttera kits.  I'm not claiming that my interpretation is more correct than Bill's, only presenting an alternative view.....   

Refer to the last (bottom) post in page one of this thread....

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/127459-2627-turtle-deck-t-hot-rod-kits-requested/?tab=comments#comment-1850443

The image posted below compares the Revell Buttera small block 289 Ford with the Revell '32 Ford Street Rod series 302 Ford V8.  TIM

DSC 0278