Model Cars Magazine Forum

'40 Ford Tudor – Late '50s Style! In Paint At Last!

John Goschke

Been working off and on this Tudor for a long time, but now it's on again for September Showdown. Louvers are from the '40 coupe kit, cut apart and applied individually. Spent a lot of time getting the hood and grill to fit properly on this one.

2v2JDavUGxE7U1V.jpg

2v2JDavuqxE7U1V.jpg

2v2JDavEdxE7U1V.jpg2v2JDava5xE7U1V.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

Added some detail to the kit's Olds engine. Most importantly adding brackets to the generator, which I lowered and replaced with a scratched piece with a more accurate shape. Also added a fan, nuts to hold the air cleaners on, a better distributor, and an upper radiator hose.2v2UscjQyxE7U1V.jpg2v2UscjR8xE7U1V.jpg2v2JSFW7LxE7U1V.jpg2v2JSFWRgxE7U1V.jpg2v2JV2UYGxE7U1V.jpg2v2JV2UsFxE7U1V.jpg

Modified the interior with scribed in pleats on the upper seat backs and some styrene rod piping.  The interior was painted overall Tamiya Racing White, then the seating areas and upper side panels were brush-painted Humbrol black acrylic with a random pattern in Testors copper bottle enamel with a touch of flat black to resemble the type of pattern fabric used in the '59 Edsel. The steering wheel and accessory gauge panel are from the AMT '50 Ford.

2v2JDavZ4xE7U1V.jpg

2v2Jht86gxE7U1V.jpg2v2Jht8RqxE7U1V.jpg

2v2Jht8PdxE7U1V.jpg

Cool! You have my totally attention ;) The engine looks really good. The interior nice! The checkered upholstery is a pretty good idea and I like the chrome - at the engine and the interior. Well, well. Looking forward to se the paintjob to the interior :)

15 hours ago, cobraman said:

Oh ya, very cool !

Thanks, Ray!

15 hours ago, James2 said:

That looks great. I like the scallops!

So you sprayed Tamiya over the Duplicolor?

Was it the perfect match brand?

Thanks, James!  Yes, Tamiya over Duplicolor.  The Duplicolor was a rattle can from the '80s, leftover from when I had a 1/1 '79 Malibu in the same color.  I sprayed the Duplicolor over Plasticote sandable grey primer.

15 hours ago, larman said:

Yet another fabulous project! Great colors, and that unique interior pattern is awesome!  -Larry

Thanks, Larry!

14 hours ago, fordlover632 said:

Good work

Thanks, Tyler!

13 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nice work. Great paint work.

Thanks, Bob!