Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your favourite Box art

On 12/5/2017 at 7:39 AM, afx said:

Can't say I've ever seen this Palmer kit before.

Porsche356

Can't say I've ever seen this one before, either. Interesting. Is the Porsche about to hit that pole? Giving Palmer an excuse as to why their kit looks the way all Palmer kits? Bad.  

Edited by unclescott58

On 12/8/2017 at 4:32 PM, unclescott58 said:

Can't say I've ever seen this one before, either. Interesting. Is the Porsche about that pole? Giving Palmer an excuse as to why their kit looks the way all Palmer kits? Bad.  

Just an indicator of the "ugly stick" Palmer used to beat all their kits.  The stick was then passed along to Starfix.

Here's a few of my favourites that I pulled off the shelf. I know the Lindberg kits are what they are but the box art on these original issues is so nice. I'm one of those goofy individuals that likes box art and sometimes will buy a kit that I already have duplicate issues of just for the art, must be the artist in me.

IMG_20171113_023336008_1.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, High octane said:

Why is that, as many people can shoot left handed as well as with either hand also???

Because I'm right-handed, as are most people, and right-eyed too, which is better yet. B)

I've actually done a lot of shooting left-handed, and can probably do it better than most, including probably most left-handed people*. But I'm quite sure I couldn't shoot left-handed, out the left window of a moving car, using my left eye, anywhere near as well as I could with all those things on the right. B)

*I can actually completely run, including reloading, both a double-action revolver and a 1911 entirely with my left hand only

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

*I can actually completely run, including reloading, both a double-action revolver and a 1911 entirely with my left hand only

But can you do that with both weapons at the same time? :-)  About 100 years ago, I was a Marine Corps drill instructor at MCRD San Diego.  The only thing that ever really scared me in that job was taking recruits to the Camp Pendleton pistol range.  The M1911 .45s used for training were very old, so they frequently jammed or malfunctioned.  If that happened, we told the recruits: "Keep the weapon pointed down-range at all times and raise your other hand."  A few geniuses couldn't manage that. They would swing the .45 around and point it directly at our heads.  Or jam the barrel into their crotch while furiously trying to work the slide.  There's a legend that when Camp Pendleton built a new pistol range, one of the very first rounds ever fired went thru a recruit's foot.  That was completely believable.

Now about that box art...when did JB get that sporty red stripe painted on his Aston?  Why is he blazing away with a pistol when both machine guns are firing?  And those machine guns are in the wrong place, in the grille instead of the parking lights.  The helicopter seems to have an "M" painted on its nose - is Bond's boss pitching in to help, or just observing a field training exercise?  Questions, questions...

54 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

And those machine guns are in the wrong place, in the grille instead of the parking lights. 

That's actually a better place for them. If you think about it, there's little to no room between the parking lights and the front tires to mount a machine gun. But you might be able to slip a couple of them in beside a straight-6 engine, and they'd come out, I think, just about where the box artist has them. B)

• 7 months later...

Okay, I'll admit this is mostly nostalgia. The first gen Chargers have  been my favorite cars since I first bought this kit as a kid, some 38 years ago. I must have built about ten of these.  It's not a great kit, but it's buildable. The decals are very dated, but I like em. This box art always puts a smile on my face.

Image result for MPC 67 charger

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, styromaniac said:

That album cover motivated me

You did a great job of replicating one of my favorite album covers.  The photo must have been shot on Mulholland Drive. Our happy couple better move, they might get hit by a pair of flying Porsches in a race!

Here's some plain but interesting box art, and an obscure kit, I just saw on eBay.  Never seen or heard of this 1/24 scale dune buggy before, or the company that made it.  The company was "Tokyo-Sharp," kit's name is "Go Back Buggy."  The tires are white-lettered "Shelby Sixty." Even a 1/24 dune buggy would be pretty small, but this one appears to be motorized.  The seller is asking $200 for it. OK, it's not THAT interesting...

gob-1.jpg

gob-2.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Michael. And yes...that is Mullholland Drive on the L.P. cover...overlooking the L.A. Basin.( Wonder if Deadmans Curve is anywhere near there ). The car was actually owned by Fred Steele from Massachusetts, he and Doug Spinney built it and Fred had moved west and become a member of the LA Roadsters car club when a photographer was looking for a suitable vehicle for the Ventures nightime cover shot and the ice box "appliance white" paint job on the T was perfect....bet it irked a lot of Californian hot rodders that an easterner was chosen! The build was deceptively more difficult than you can imagine, despite the availability of useful parts...real challenging to get all the work crammed and aligned into a 90 inch scale wheelbase...some short cuts were needed. Lots of info on the real car on the "T Bucket Plans" website....just Google Fred Steele T Bucket. 

P.S. Neat dune buggy kit...never seen it before. Would like to do my own version of a Meyers Manx from one of the kit variations out there. Steve McQueen's Manx from "The Thomas Crown Affair comes to mind...he did his own driving on the beach in that movie and no doubt scared Faye Dunaway blasting around those dunes.

Edited by styromaniac

2 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

Thanks for the compliment Michael. And yes...that is Mullholland Drive on the L.P. cover...overlooking the L.A. Basin...

Wow thanks, I didn't know any of that interesting history about the car.  And I lived in Los Angeles for...well, a VERY long time.