Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the rarest model you own and did you build it?

I think this is my rarest and most valuable to me, bought off of e-bay some 20 years ago or so.  I built this kit in the early 70's as a kid and loved it, so when I could afford it I went looking for one and found it.  Once I had one I wanted to build it again.  I found a badly built up one for 10 bucks on the bay again, bought it and built it.  This is how it turned out and still have the one in the box.  It is the best of both worlds.

smugbug_big.jpg

003.JPG

005.JPG

008.JPG

011.JPG

Its a toss-up between these three; My original Airfix JB DB-5, which I just started yesterday,  my Chitty Chitty Bang Bang....original, was still sealed, but I opened it since i'm going to build it too, and my Fujimi Ferrari 288 GTO kit No.9......VERY hard to find!!!      -I don't care how rare, I build them all!!

DS_DB_top.jpg

aurora-1968-chitty-chitty-bang-bang_1_f37a3e9d6fa3461c3fdbe81b0bfbbcf0.jpg

124_Ferrari_288_GTO_Enthusiast_Model_29763.jpg

I have several rare kits (probably more than several :D), but one of them that immediately comes to mind is a 1/12 scale Doyusha Honda S800 kit (a 1966?). I've had it for years, but just haven't had the guts to build that one yet. They're out there on the 'Bay, but can cost major $$$ and that may be what's holding me back. Another is Gunze Sangyo's Jaguar XKE convertible kit-----the one with all the white metal bits and pieces.

Not sure when or if I'll ever get around to that one..........I've got the Heller version which is probably easier to build, and didn't cost an arm and a leg!

This can be a wide open subject--------let's not get into the rare resin stuff you'll never see anywhere! One resin that I doubt you'll see anywhere on a contest table is a Renault Caravelle convertible that I got from R&R about 15 years ago. It was a repop they tell me from a French kit, but I'll be darned if I've ever seen it live and in person.

I'll play. Got the Foxy Vette from Jeffdeoranut in a trade, the ambulance from another member and the JYD from E-bay about 15 years ago. All are MIB.Would like to build them though I'm afrain my weathering skills are not up to doing justice to the JYD. Plan to do the ambulance for my firetruck collection. The decals are ate up for Farrahs vette, need to see if anybody makes a replacement set. Have over 60 unbuilt kits and probably that many more started so these are down on the list.

SAM_0495.JPG

Hardest to find ( for me at least )

Is my builder MPC 1968 Color Me Gone funnycar.  I bought it as a builder and will get to it when I can practice / improve my airbrush skills first.

a close 2nd would either be my MPC 1968 Coronet , Johan 1969 GTX or the Johan 1970 Roadrunner. ALL will be built by me.

The plan for the 68 Coronet is to build the Dick Landy stocker

CMG-68Charger.thumb.jpg.e8fc4e7c6c1adc5510b5687cd7a925ba.jpg

johan69gtx.thumb.png.e2277056f67ecda582f27c885a0f371b.png

Edited by gtx6970

Charger III, and I can build it with no guilt, it's already started. I'm gathering info and detail shots of the real one as there was only one and I want to make it accurate. I remember having the magenta Matchbox car when I was a kid, so I was stoked when I found a model kit of it.

Never saw another one again - but I've got this one, so I'm happy.

ChargerIIIBoxArt.jpg.57740cd7f187fa6d83eafe58ecbba5be.jpg

Not sure how rare these are but the rarest I have . The little Daytona Cobra pops up on eBay once in awhile . The other two are the only ones of their kind that I have seen since I started collecting Cobra’s in around 1993 . Doesn’t mean there isn’t a bunch out there but they are the only ones I have seen . 

35A3DFA1-3193-48A2-B723-2511FB9BE1E4.jpeg

FF626FBC-6653-4162-BB7C-7D496E2E1205.jpeg

I don't know how rare these are, but they're probably the rarest I have. I have every intention of building these. Except for the Challenger I, will trade that for just about anything else.

I have two of these Transits. This one in yellow, and the molded in white "Canon" version.

IMG_20171206_0704536.jpg

WP_20160306_059.jpg

DSC_3455.JPG

DSC_3527.JPG

DSC_3528.JPG

DSC_5019.JPG

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

This can be a wide open subject--------let's not get into the rare resin stuff you'll never see anywhere! One resin that I doubt you'll see anywhere on a contest table is a Renault Caravelle convertible that I got from R&R about 15 years ago. It was a repop they tell me from a French kit, but I'll be darned if I've ever seen it live and in person.

Most likely mastered from this 1/24 plastic kit. Made by the French kit company "Record."  It apparently built either a hardtop Renault Floride, or a convertible Caravelle.  I found these pics on Worthpoint.  The plastic kits are Unobtainium, and if we were lucky enough to find one in this mint/unbuilt condition, it would probably cost at least a liver. And maybe a lung.

floride.jpg

floride2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Most likely mastered from this 1/24 plastic kit. Made by the French kit company "Record."  It apparently built either a hardtop Renault Floride, or a convertible Caravelle.  I found these pics on Worthpoint.  The plastic kits are Unobtainium, and if we were lucky enough to find one in this mint/unbuilt condition, it would probably cost at least a liver. And maybe a lung.

floride.jpg

floride2.jpg

Aaaah so that's it! That's the Floride I have then.......the Caravelle was similar. Well, I can tell you that the resin kit I have looks just like that----------multi piece body and all! :o

I don't think Ray ever had that kit listed in his catalog, I stumbled across it by accident by word of mouth. I do believe the hardtop was removable for the convertible Floride according to this pic here.............

fast-facts-renault-floride.jpg

Quick funny story about the Renault kit: When I had heard that Ray had this model, I had called as I knew he would be at the Toledo NNL-----this was around 2002-03. His wife Ruth had answered the phone (the other "R" in R&R), and I asked her could he hold the kit for me as I was going to the NNL. She said she would pass the message on to him, and since Ray had never met me before, I told her that I'll be a big black guy with thick glasses that he'll be seeing.

She answered back "Really? Well I'm a big white woman!"

I burst out laughing immediately! :lol:

I'm not sure how rare it is, but I built it. I even still have many of the parts left! :lol: I used a lot of parts from other models with it. My original intention was to build a replica of my dad's galaxie, it was a boxtop with a turbo 5.0. Still have the boxtop body, but never built it as planned due to a few other things holding me back. I felt bad about it sitting in a box so I just threw it together.

Also just want to point out that this was before I knew much about modeling, hence the messy trim and such

63 Galaxie.JPG

Edited by THORDOOR220

Bought the Mustang a long time ago with the intention of building my first car.  Wimbledon white with a 200 cid 6.  I have been collecting parts for a long time so no it's not build yet, but I will build it.

Image result for revell 69 mustang hardtop

This is also in the collection.  The "Full View" or clear body is what makes this one rare.  Otherwise it is a pretty common kit for 1:12 scale.   I also have the Perfect Parts set for it.  Not sure I will get around to this one, but I have the parts if I need them. 

Image result for tamiya ferrari 641/2 (f190)

my 66 1my 66 2

Okay, it's a promo and not a kit, but it's the rarest piece in my collection and the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread!

This is the ultra rare 1966 Valiant Signet promo. 

I've tried to do research on this one and this is what I've deduced so far.  There were Valiant promos, then Craftsman kits, of Valiants from 1963-1965.  Those three are are the same body style.  For 1966 Chrysler made body line changes, including the roof line.  The promo has a totally incorrect roof line and rear glass. The real car has all straight lines.  The flat spot in the trunk lid is also wrong.

I know that AMT made a full order of these because they exist in several colors.  This one is the silver blue.  I've also seen red, burgandy and yellow. I have a photo of a light blue, but I cannot be sure if its not the same color as mine, but in different light.

My theory is that Chrysler reviewed the samples and rejected the lot, ordering them to be destroyed.  I believe that the examples existing today were a shipment sent to Chrysler for internal consumption.   Every one that I was able to trace history on started out as property of a Chrysler employee.

Who knows where the communication resulting in this model occurred.  First thought was that Chrysler gave AMT early plans for the car, then later changed the roof line. We may never know.

There was no Craftsman kit to follow this promo.  In fact, I believe this became the basis for the Fireball 500 kit.  Note that early on people thought that the '66 Barracuda promo / kit became the Hemi Under Glass kit,  and then was changed into the Fireball 500.   Note that the tooling for both of these exists today.  I have examined a Valiant body alongside a Fireball 500 body and there are mold marks that match inside. 

So I relay the entire story here, first for education in the hobby, but second hoping that someone involved with Chrysler or AMT back then can enlighten us!

4 hours ago, Renegade said:

I'll play. Got the Foxy Vette from Jeffdeoranut in a trade, the ambulance from another member and the JYD from E-bay about 15 years ago. All are MIB.Would like to build them though I'm afrain my weathering skills are not up to doing justice to the JYD. Plan to do the ambulance for my firetruck collection. The decals are ate up for Farrahs vette, need to see if anybody makes a replacement set. Have over 60 unbuilt kits and probably that many more started so these are down on the list.

SAM_0495.JPG

ive seen Farrah decals on ebay.. would you part with jyd?

Edited by jeffdeoranut
forgot to add comment

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Charger III, and I can build it with no guilt, it's already started. I'm gathering info and detail shots of the real one as there was only one and I want to make it accurate. I remember having the magenta Matchbox car when I was a kid, so I was stoked when I found a model kit of it.

it took me a long time to find mine-a built one but easy to take apart and strip ...its ready for paint, just haven't gotten to it...please post pics of yours

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

it took me a long time to find mine-a built one but easy to take apart and strip ...its ready for paint, just haven't gotten to it...please post pics of yours